GO!

Non-Akita pup in Akita household

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Keyser- Soze's- Hammer of- Thor

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 11:13pm PST 
I have an 8 yr old male (neutered) Akita who is pretty easy-going and generally non-aggressive, unless the other dog gets aggressive with him (the only problem we've had with him is with the neighbors Chihuahuas, but they are nasty to everything, including their owner). Keyser is also wonderful with my 6 yr old son, but he generally doesn't play. So, I'd like to get puppy that would play with my son more. Another Akita has been vetoed by others in the house, so I'm doing some research on breeds that are playful, non-aggressive and that might mesh with an older Akita.

Any ideas? I also need opinions on whether I should go female or male. There is another female in the house, but because she's a small, yapping, aggressive Pomeranian mix, we keep her and Keyser seperate. I'd like the puppy to get along with her too, but its more important for the pup and my Akita to live peacefully.

Would you go male or female? I'm hestiant about female because every female we've ever had has been dominant and aggressive, even after spaying. My male Akita was raised with a very dominant, aggressive female who had to be put down 4 yrs ago. He was perfectly happy playing rough with her, but I think a mellow, submissive dog would be best. i know this depends on the individual pup, rather than the breed.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on breed and whether male or female would be better, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Breeds we are considering so far: Labradoodle, Black Lab, Golden Retriever, Sampyed- my choice so far
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 6:00am PST 
with a male Akita you definitely want a female whatever you decide. I will not recommend breeds to anyone. that is for you and your family to decide what breed fits best with your circumstances. to add another male to the family while it can be done, is really just asking for same sex aggression issues. If your last female was raised properly then the aggression may simply have been bad breeding and the breeder not being interested in proper temperament, or it may have been a breed that just generally isn't overly thrilled with some types of people. Until Kai I never raised a male and none of my females ever got aggressive. Good Luck in your search for the right breed.
[notify]
Keyser- Soze's- Hammer of- Thor

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 10:32am PST 
Thanks for your response!

After thinking about it more this weekend, I had come to the decision to give females another chance. the female I had to put down was an Akita that I raised from 8 weeks old. She was a real sweetheart until she nearly died from a mystery infection when she was 4. Her whole personality changed after that, and I'll be the first admit it was scary. I made the decision to put her down after several trainers and 2 Akita rescues refused to take her. I'm sure that's why I'm really leary about females, but really, it wasn't that she was female or Akita. Just one of those unfortunate things.

I probably should have mentioned both Akitas came from the same reputable breeder. We visited her and her dogs several times before decided to buy a pup from her. I don't believe it was bad breeding or bad parenting that set our female off.

I know I need to pick a dog based on the fit with my family. Unfortunately, my family has vetoed all the breeds I'm familiar with (Akita, Samoyed, Chow). I was just hoping someone had an experience with a breed that meshed well with their Akita so I would have a jump-off point.

Edited by author Mon Jun 17, '13 10:50am PST

[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 7:05am PST 
Being very sick would certainly be a reason for not being what she once was.
Any of the breeds you are considering should be fine possibly with the exception of the Golden. Depending on how mellow she is with other dogs an Akita might be a bit much for her. Whatever you decide to go with introduce them slowly and on neutral ground, walk them together a bit before taking them home together so your Akita will be more accepting of the new pup. Also remember to give each a place and time to be away from each other. Good Luck on your search.
[notify]