GO!

New puppy soon

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sophie

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 2:40am PST 
Hello! I just joined this forum and have a few questions about my new akita puppy I will be getting in about 4 weeks. I currently have a 5 year old boxer/black lab mix female so the new puppy is a male. I have done quite a bit of research and have been around Akitas for the last 2 years including living with 3 for about a month however this is finally my first opportunity to own one which I am very excited for happy dance. I realize that the dominance issue is a bit outdated however I do feel like in a multiple dog household it applies a bit more (when I lived with my friend we had 5 dogs together, 3 being Akitas), strangely enough we had more issues with her older male akita with my female than her female akita. Anyway, my question is more about feeding time. I was wondering it I should feed them both at the same time or one before the other and if so in any particular order. Sophie is plays very well with other dogs and has been very well socialized, we used to go to the dog park daily until I moved further away from it. She does tend to want to be the dominant dog with whoever she is playing with unless they challenge her and then she quickly backs down. She is very good at home and definitely knows her place in the pack. My boyfriend has 2 kids, 6 and 5, who are here 50% of the time and she is very good with them. I don't want to have any problems as the puppy gets older so in wondering if there is anything I should start out doing to keep the peace later down the road. I have never had 2 dogs of my own together so I wasn't sure if it really matters who is higher on the totem pole as long as I am the pack leader. I also had a raw feeding question that I will probably post to the raw feeding forum as well but was curious about akita specific advice. I currently feed prey model raw to Sophie and want to start that immediately with the puppy although he will be eating puppy chow at the breeders. Chicken is my staple protein until I can get my rabbit breeding up and running. Is there a better cut of chicken for puppy teeth? I currently feed mostly leg quarters because Sophie seems to do best on that bone to meat ratio but I wasn't sure if the thigh bone would be a bit much for puppy teeth. I didn't start her on raw until she was 3 so I don't have experience with raw feeding for a puppy.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 4:57am PST 
welcome I can't in my situation feed raw so I really can't help you with those questions. As far as Akita specific information there I can be of help. As far as feeding, feeding together is fine. Hand feed your new puppy for a bit though, it helps a lot with resource guarding and does help prevent food aggression in most cases. Forget the whole Alpha Pack thing. Be firm fair and consistent with training and you will be fine. From day one do not allow your Akita puppy to do things that you will not want him doing later, if allowed once they tend to believe it is always allowed. If possible tethering for training is great that way you always know where your puppy is, what he is doing, and will learn potty cues more quickly. You can also stop bad behaviors immediately because the pup is no more than 6 ft. away and can be redirected as soon as an undesired behavior starts. Clicker or other positive reinforcement works well with Akitas but whatever method you choose be consistent. They tend to at times be a bit stubborn and have an incredibly long period of adolescence which is what leads people to believe they are difficult to train, it simply takes a bit more patience. Also, they will work for you only if they see something in it for them, simply wanting to please their person is not usually reason enough to do as you ask consistently until after the age of 3. Keep training lessons short, 5 to 10 minutes throughout the day and socialize,socialize,socialize!! Good luck and either post here or p-mail me if I can be of any further help.wishes
[notify]
Sophie

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 6:27pm PST 
Any recommendation for collar size for an 8 week old? He is a big boy right now, biggest in the litter. I wanted to get everything ready to go but I have no clue what size range I should get.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 10:59pm PST 
Try to find one in the 12-16 inch range, don't buy anything too expensive or fancy he won't be wearing it long. Their growth for the first 6-8 months is amazing. At one point Kai changed sizes 3 times in a month.shock We sent Sophie a pals request and can't wait to see your pups profile as well and will send him one when he arrives.smile
[notify]
Zeus

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 5:51pm PST 
Thanks, I was trying to find one of Sophie's since I know he is going to go through collars super fast but I can't seem to locate anynaughty We went and saw him again today and took the kids for the second time. I have been to see him 5 times now but the kids have only seen him twice and this was the first time they were able to interact with them much. I definitely am happy with my decision on choosing him. We were back and forth between him and the white male in the litter but after seeing all the puppies with the kids he was definitely the right choice. The boys are only 5 and 6 and have never been around a puppy and especially not such a baby (he will be 5 weeks on Tuesday) and he was so good at putting up with them. The youngest kept wanting to hold him and I know he was squeezing him a bit much but he just sat there and was fine with it. All the other puppies kept squirming away from them but he was very interested in them and perfectly content to sit in their laps and put up with their awkward hugs.

We should be picking him up Fourth of July weekend which will put him about 2 days shy of 8 weeks but its a weekend we have the kids so they can go with us to get him. I will definitely be going to see him at least once more before we pick him up but the kids probably won't. I made him a page and added some pictures from him at 2 weeks and then at 4 weeks, I have some from 5 days but I haven't put them on here yet.
[notify]