GO!

New puppy and question about food

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lupin

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 7:26pm PST 
Hi everyone. My wife and I recently got an Akita/Alaskan Malamute puppy. Sire is a pure bred Alaskan Malamute, and dam is a pure bred Akita. He is 9.5 weeks old and we've had him for about 3 weeks. I've been feeding him Diamond Naturals Puppy Large Breed because that is what the breeder feeds and recommended. I am looking to get something that is a little better quality, and was considering Fromm Gold Holistic Large Breed Puppy or a Taste of the Wild formula. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. I see lots of good things about Orijen, but the price is higher than I'd like to spend.

Thanks!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 7:04pm PST 
Your choice of food is up to you and your pup. Whatever your pup likes,does well on, fits into your budget,is of decent quality and readily available is fine. The only things you should avoid with Akita puppies and adults are SOY corn and wheat. They are the most common things to cause allergies,there are multiple studies that also link soy to bloat and a few that suggest soy can contribute to problems with agression in Akitas. Soy is also known to be linked to thyroid issues in human children given soy formula as infants,and although I am not aware of any studies done on Akita puppies, Akitas are prone to thyroid issues as well.As long as the food you are considering is SOY FREE ,there should not be a problem.
[notify]