GO!

Best dog food for an Akita?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Rosco

Gentle Giant

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 3:04pm PST 
We have a 9 yr old Akita and was wondering what a good senior food would be for him. He's been on Iams his whole life but I think he should have something better.
Last time we weighed him he was 170 pounds, the vet said he's not really fat but mostly just big, but I think it wont hurt for him to lose a few pounds.
So I've been feeding him a little less and walking him more and I noticed he has already lost some weight which will be better on his joints, he also has a torn ligement on his back leg which adds to his achy joints.
So Just wondering what a good/better food would be for a (what I call him)old man, lol
I also give him Glucosamine/Chondroitin pills and Coconut oil, if that matterssmile
Any help is greatly appreciated
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 8:39pm PST 
I too have Akta's and I like the Blue Buffalo Wilderness line. Any food you can find that is corn,wheat,and especially soy-free is excellent but I have found in my nearly 17 years with Akitas that grain free is really much better.
If you can find one Roscoe likes,that fits your budget,and he seems to do well on,then that is the best food for him. He is btw absolutely beautiful.
Also,Akitas tend to need to eat less food than other dogs their size so the guideline on the bag is far more than they generally need unless extremely active. My Kai at 110+ pounds and 28" at the shoulder eats only about 3 cups a day,guideline on the bag calls for 4 1/2 cups. My Akitas free feed and their bowls are kept full. I am the only one who feeds and I fill the bowls once daily,if he wanted more Kai would let us know,he is not the type to suffer in silence. Hope this helps. We left you a pals request and look forward to seeing more of you in the forums.
[notify]
Rosco

Gentle Giant

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 9:02pm PST 
Thanks for the response, your akitas are beautiful. We had another akita(Dakota) before Rosco for 13 yrs but he had to get put to sleep from old agefrown
My sister brought a sample bag of nutro for Rosco to try but we saw it had soybean oil and were not giving it to him. I think we should go with the Blue Buffallo grain free, thats what Joel the yorkie eats, but I don't know if they have one for seniors?
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 6:15am PST 
you really don't need a seniors dog food. An all life stages is just as good.Being a good quality food and grain free and they do have a large breed formula,roscoe should be fine. In addition to the Blue Buffalo Wilderness we give our pups the Glucosamine/Condroitin/MSM suppliment,fish oil and vitamin E. We even took Kai off of puppy food early with no problems. We also give real meat such as beef or chicken,even fish when we eat it,we just make an extra small portion for the pups. We also give them a can of Tuna weekly.We have had absolutely no health issues,minimal allergy issues and none involving food,and this year even without flea treatment,we have had none. You'll just have to try Roscoe on the Blue and see how he does,mine have been great on it but others have said that their dog has had problems with it,that is why I mentioned any brand of grain and soy-free. Please feel free to Paw mail me anytime. All you need to do is click on M&K's picture,which will take you to their page,then click on the little envelope that will say "send this dog a message,type in your message and click submit or send. I look forward to hearing from you. By the way,my name is Pam.
[notify]
Rosco

Gentle Giant

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 9:31am PST 
Ok so we don't need to worry about senior food, i'm not sure but Rosco might have an allergy to something so a grainfree would be good. A couple months ago he got some itchy red spots, first the vet said the spots were there to relieve pressure from water retention but the meds didn't work so we took him back and he said he might have an allergy.
But i'm definetly gonna try blue grain free and see how that works. He hasn't had the spots for a while.
Thanks for the helpbig grin
Rachael
[notify]