GO!

11 month old akita attack

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 5:27am PST 
Hello All

I've had my male Akita (still intact) for the past 11 months now, I got him from a reputable breeder with an excellent reputation for breeding akitas. He's turning into a really great dog, his temperament is excellent, he's great with other dogs and people once he knows them. He's well trained (ok recall off leash because of his aloofness but does come back and doesn't venture too far ahead)

Once we are outside of the property, anyone can pretty much pet him without fail. He is very sketchy with strangers in or around the property and can be very stand offish but when I'm there too, he accepts them albeit reluctantly.

But I wouldn't be here asking this question if he was the most perfect dog in the world so I'd love to have your advice about a situation which occurred this time last week.

My brother was over visiting from the UK (who has met the dog a few times in the past year but would still be considered a stranger to the dog) and was about to walk into an area where the dog was eating and attacked him and bit his arm. Thankfully no major damage, just a tetanus shot required and no stitching, it just needed to be bandaged.

It's very frustrating because just before I fed the dog, I said to myself "I need to close the kitchen door to stop anyone from coming in when the dog is eating as he'll get really bothered if anyone walks in" - literally 10 seconds later, the attack had happened when my brother was about to rush into the kitchen. I think the dog got a fright, thought my brother was going to eat his food and went for him. The whole incident was over in about 8 seconds. I grabbed the dog, scruffed him by the neck, told him "NO" very firmly and put him outside for ten minutes until I brought my brother to the hospital.

I was in shock over the incident as my dog was really aggressive defending his food. I don't know if it's called food aggression because I can give food to anyone (stranger or not) and they can make the dog sit and stay before eating. I believe the dog got extremely protective because he eats in a small enough area, he eats out of his bowls which he has eaten out of since he was 10 weeks old and he eats in the exact same area of the kitchen every day for the past 11 months...so i believe it was a territorial attack more than anything else which was spiked by the fact that he was eating. I do remember in the past that the dog would get agitated when strangers went into his eating area (kitchen) even when he wasn't eating, he'd be uncomfortable and would pace and whine a little bit if people were going into this particular area so I firmly believe he is just extremely protective of the kitchen where he eats because feeding time is such a big deal for akitas.

I'd love to know your thoughts on the situation. I just want the best outcome for the dog and I've worked so hard to get him to the level he is currently at.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 8:09pm PST 
It is food agression.Even though your pup will allow others to feed him,he is unlikely to ever let anyone but you,take food from him. My Akita's are nearly 6 and nearly 3 and my previous Akita/GSD mix lived to be 10 and a half.
My two current pups will allow me,my husband,and my daughters children 7 &5 to take anything from them and even put our hands in their dish while eating with not a second look my younger male,who was hand fed by me for most of the first 2 weeks after we brought him home,will not even pause,my female who was a puppy when it was still believed that you never touch an Akita or it's food and was left alone will stop eating if she feels uncomfortable with what we are doing,neither would ever allow anyone else,even a frequent visitor that they like near their food. I am sorry that your brother was injured,I'm glad it was not serious but to be safe please keep strangers away from his food. We keep our pups food dishes in our bedroom for just that reason. No one but us should be or ever is in there and they can eat when they like without being bothered by anyone.
[notify]