GO!

Potential Akita Adoption

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 9:53pm PST 
M&K, stop bein so darn fast with these! I wanna answer, too! laugh out loud

Anyways...

Lobo is same-sex dog-aggressive, but he and the male pup he lives with are usually okay. Sometimes they sleep together, sometimes they want nothing to do with each other. We've only had one issue, and now any time together is supervised - which is how it should be, anyway.

Training depends on you. I use clicker training, and it's worked wonders, M&K I believe doesn't use clicker training, but does use positive reinforcement basdd methods.

If you've been reading, then I'm sure you've read that Akitas need an"dominant" hand and "leadership" and other dominance theory bullpie. Don't worry about the dominance crap - believe me.

Lobo is fed the awesome raw meat diet, but there are some high quality kibbles out there. Poppy eats raw as well as Taste of the Wild. Blue Buffalo Wilderness has mixed reviews. It wasn't the right food for Lobo, but many dogs have done well on it. For a better idea of good foods, you can search Dog Food Analysis.

Branching off a good diet is health. Please educate yourself in Akita health. It's almost scary the things they're susceptible to. Don't let it scare you, though. As long as you keep her healthy, your Akita will likely live a long and happy life.

This is my own personal recommendation, and not something that is necessary, but it would be a good idea to find a Hollistic vet. I know M&K doesn't havr many vets in her area that will accept Akitas, so like I said, if your situation is like that, then obviously any vet is great. In my experience, Hollistic vets have just been less expensive and more knowledgeable. Mine will also use Western medicine if she has to, so she's not a bullheaded moron. laugh out loud

Anyways, M&K and I both are willing to help in any way. Good luck if you do adopt her.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 7:38am PST 
Sorry Lobo I guess I just happen to be on a bit more often,and I know I am not the most patient in waiting for answers so I try to be quick.

My vet is not Holistic specifically but more than happy to consider more than just the traditional Western medicine approach. No vet in my local area does accept Akitas or has no clue that their medical needs are different than other breeds,they for example are much more sensitive to most medications and therefore require less,some ingredients are also prone to cause problems if you choose to use flea & tick/heartworm meds. Akitas do not do frontline or Ivermetin well,Anesthesia can also be a problem. From age 2 on they should have thrroid tests. The first as a baseline then at least every other year to make sure it isn't a problem and of course at any sign of symptoms. PRA is also common,Allergies are common and can be odd,for example Mika had to have a second surgery after her spay to remove and replace every suture inside and out due to an allergy to catgut(suture material) so she had 2 surgeries in 48 hours. Skin problems are usually the first sign of most health problems.Spherocytosis is also a health issue,the blood cells are round and smaller,rather than normal shape and carry oxygen less effectively so if he/she is not speutered pre-surgical bloodwork is essential. They also do not tolerate heat well at all and can either become quite ill or suffer heat stroke quickly in temps over 75 degrees F. and should be watched closely.

Lobo is also correct that I do not use clicker training but it is due to my physical limitations. I instead use a marker word and treat. For me an energetic & happy "Good pup" works as well as a click from a clicker. I suffer nerve pain and damage from a car accident and carpal tunnel syndrome as well so I am just not quick enough with the clicker. No problems with the method,just my ability to use it.
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 2:18am PST 
It's fine~ I just don't check this area that often.

Also, I believe I mentioned this somewhere, but Lobo has an autoimmune disorder. These are also quite common in Akitas.

Bloat is also scarily common in them.

That's right. I forgot you did use a type of marker training, M&K. Sorry. x.x

This is my personal opinion, not meant to start anything, but I don't think that coercion or force is necessary for Akitas. In fact, from what I've read, it has made some a little aggressive and even more stubborn.

And, yes, although I am a clicker trainer, I do think it's possible for some breeds to be stubborn. Akitas are not what you'd call "trick dogs." Some people think that this makes them slower than Border Collies, but I think their intelligence is up there with BC's. They just don't like to do anything if there's no reason for it. Lobo, for example, will only fetch so long before he walks away. He's more of a wrestle and run around like a lunatic type dog. He enjoys more physical play than anything.

In training Lobo, even with clicker training, it was hard to keep him interested. He bores easily, and if things are too easy, he'll walk away. You have to make listening to you WORTH IT.

M&K, didn't you say your first experience with an Akita was your GSD/Akita mix? How come the vets were fine with treating him, but a purebred Akita is an issue? How closed-minded... frown Makes me wonder if they know that GSDs are in Akita lines...
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 11:18am PST 
Lobo- Mattie looked as much if not more like a GSD,so I think they assumed that is what she was. Due to hher severe allergies looking like Demodex mange 2 of the local vets just wanted to euthanize her at 8 months anyway,that is when my grandmother suggested her vet who is a little more than 30 miles away but well worth the trip. He actually knows Akitas and adores them. He took excellent care of my Mattie and even cried with us when it was time to let her go. He and all of his current staff are amazing with Mika & Kai and he is very open to thinking outside the box. Also,knowing the breed for more than 20 years he has a vast understanding of the way they behave and why and is very thorough about the health conditions and symptoms of the breed. He was the first one not to say ,"You have a what/GSD mix? Was very helpful informative and willing to pass on his knowledge of the breed and it was Thanks to him we met Kai's breeder and got her approval,she uses him as well.
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '12 12:44am PST 
Aahh, okay. That's really cool, then!

I hope the other vets soon learn more about Akitas, though.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 6:38am PST 
Not to worry our vet has added 4 new young vets to his staff who are just like him. So we will make the 30 mile one way trip,the service and care our pups get are well worth the extra miles.hug
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2