GO!

Losing fur on ears.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 6:47am PST 
Hi everyone. I have a 3 month old Akita puppy who has lost a lot of the fur on her ears, and now there are some bald patches. Can anyway tell me what this is?

Thanks!

Rosabel
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 7:07am PST 
I can't tell you specifically what it is because I just don't have enough information. I can however share some possibilities with you:
1. Fly Strikes from being bitten by flies while outside.
2.thyroid condition- Blood test needed.
3. Flea or environmental allergy- vet needed to determine treatment.
4. Mange- proper diagnosis and treatment needed by vet.

Basically,I would get your puppy to the vet and find out exactly what you are dealing with and the appropriate treatment for it. I have given you the four most common reasons for hairloss on head and ears. It is up to you to get her to the vet to find out which if any it is,what else it could be,and how to treat it.wishes
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 12:21pm PST 
Thanks! Those seem likely, when we take her to the vet for her third round of shots which is very, very soon, I'll make sure to ask the vet.

Also, i was wondering if it was because my dad keeps on feeding her stuff like ham and other cooked meats? The breeder already told us that things that she'd never tasted before can give her skin problems...
[notify]

Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 8:39am PST 
If she's eating something she's not supposed to, it's possible that it could be allergies.

What food do you feed her? If it has any kind of grains or corn in it, get rid of it IMMEDIATELY. Corn is the number one cause of allergic reactions in dogs, followed by grains. You can Google on Dog Food Analysis to get more information on different dog foods.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 6:11pm PST 
As Lobo mentioned food allergies are a possibility. She really does need to see a vet to determine exactly what the problem is but a good quality grain-free food like Blue Buffalo Wilderness or their new Freedom line wouldn't hurt. I would also recommend not giving her any table food like ham or smoked meats at all they are far too salty and not at all healthy for dogs. Anything containing soy should also be avoided,that includes food or treats. Even if the change in diet seems to help please make sure you have the other things checked out. wishes
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 5:12pm PST 
Her breeder told us to strictly eat Purina Pro Plan Chicken with Rice & Lamb with Rice. I think it has wheat in it, but doesn't have any corn.

I am going to the vet tomorrow anyway, so we'll see.
[notify]
frostie

Fiesty frostie

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 10:13am PST 
Hope you got some good news from the vet. Sure hope it wasn't flies on dogs ears that caused the problem, they carry many diseases.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 1:07pm PST 
Okay...

So today my dad and sister took her to the vet (Banfield Hospital in PetsMart)to get her third round of shots and to see why is was losing fur on her ears but she refused to get out of the car. The vet tried to grab her out of the car, and then she bit him.

Ehhh....the poor gentleman wasn't angry and told us that he understood, but we still felt bad, and because of that she needed to get a rabies shot so the "next time" she ever bit someone it would be harmless, although I must insist that we will try to prevent that from happening. He thinks that he was bitten because she was scared since not all of her family members were with her (she's used to having me, my brother, mom with my dad and sister).

Anyway, she successfully got her third round of shots and her rabies shot, but to found out about her ears, they had to do a skin scrape that cost up to $100, so my dad refused. Luckily, it isn't really severe. The patches are just the same as it is, and her breeder told us to give her a flea and tick bath and stop feeding her the beef and rice formula of Purina Pro Plan. And no, I don't think it is flies on ears because not a single fly has touched her, if that's the case.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 6:13am PST 
I know the skin scrape can be expensive but really is necessary. A flea bath is not going to magically fix this,you really need to know what it is. If I had listened to the vet we normally used with my first Akita,she would have been euthanized,the same with the second because both refused to do the skin scrape or bloodwork and insisted it was mange which at that time was not treatable,we knew it was not flies,because she was an inside dog,it turned out only through ruling out a thyroid problem with bloodwork and doing the skin scrape,did we discover it was severe flea dermatitis,there are many newer better treatments out there now but at that time the only thing that allowed her to have a happy,healthy life,was steriod injections mixed with an antihistamine twice yearly and antibiotics for secondary infections,along with Advantage to control fleas. Purina Pro Plan is a very low quality food and not at all suitable for an Akita's needs,no matter what your breeder says,they tell you that because they get special discounts and free puppy packs from the company to promote their products. I am not trying to be rude or mean but if you can't afford,or are unwilling to pay to care for your Akita properly,it might be best to return it to the breeder for a refund and rehoming. I do not breed Akitas but have more than 16 years experience researching and raising them. It takes alot of time and energy and can be costly to raise them especially if they have health issues,if you haven't done at least some research,are not prepared for taking care of their needs,or giving them proper health care,the best thing to do is not get an Akita.wishes to you on getting your pup healthy on the wrong food and without proper vet care.cry
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 8:43am PST 
Mika, you are not being rude I understand. I'm just lost on what to do now. I did ask my sister why she and dad didn't accept the skin scrape because it could've solved everything. Also, our puppy is allergic to whatever else she eats besides Purina Pro Plan so I'm a sitting duck on the subject.

Sorry for being a totally flop.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2