GO!

NEW TO ME

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 8:36am PST 
HI, I JUST JOINED, I RECENTLY ADOPTED AN AKIRA/GERMANSHEPARD MIX. SHE IS 4/1/2 YEARS OLD. SHE WAS VERY SCARRY AT THE PLACE, BARKING AND CHARGING; SCARED THE BEEGEEBEES OUT OF ME. THE LADY SUGESSTED I TAKE HER FOR A WALK. IT WAS INSTANT LOVE, SHE GOT ME KICKED OUT OF THE PARK,I WAS IN, SCARED PEOPLE. I MOVED TO A DIFFERENT RV PARK, QUITER, AND WE ARE WORKING ON NOT CHARGING AT PEOPLE. SHE FOLLOWS ME EVERYWHERE, LOVES ME ALL READY, ITS ONLY BEEN TWO WEEKS. I WOULD LIKE ANY TIPS ON TRAINING HER AS I WILL BE CAMP HOSTING IN THE MOUNTAINS OF COLORADO THIS SUMMER. I WOULD LIKE TO GET HER PEOPLE READY. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Apr 18, '12 10:04am PST 
Socialize,socialize,socialize,even if you have to muzzle her to do it. It's pretty obvious that was one of the problems with this poor dog to begin with,someone who was clueless and chose to remain that way got her and when she turned out to be more than they could handle they dumped her. Do alot of reseacch onthe breed and as much as you may like her,make sure she is something you can handle. Neither of her breeds is a type that is for everyone. A good place to start is the Akita Rescue of Western New York. They have an excellent page on the type of person that is best to handle an Akita and the worst to expect if handled the wrong way or by the wrong type of person. Since you weren't even sure of how to spell Akita and the title of your post,I have been given the idea that you also have no clue what you are getting yourself into. Akitas and GSD can both be wonderful,loyal,sweet and amazing companions but need the right handlers to deal with them. The best Dog I ever had was the very mix you have and I can honestly say it took tons and tons of socialization and hours and hours of work to get her the way she was and I had the benefit of starting at 9 weeks. I now have 2 fullblooded Akitas. My older one,a female has finally at age 5 become completely trustworthy off leash,My younger one a male at 2 and a half,still has much to learn and much maturing to do before I would even consider attempting it. Some can never be off leash. The best advice I can give you besides doing tons of research in a hurry to make sure you and this dog are right for each other in the long run,and fast. Is to use some type of praise and treat for desired/requested behavior and a firm "No" for undesired behaviors.Harsh treatment is totally ineffective and breaks trust and respect something all Akitas must have with their people. Good Luck and I hope it all works out. We all started with our first Akita at some point but even with all of the experience I had before these two,I don't know that I would have taken on one with issues,now knowing and loving the breed as I do I wouldn't give it a second thought. I will help you in any way I can as you go along but please do the research and be prepared for the mostly uphill battle you will face depending on her issues.wisheshug
[notify]