GO!

Eating Habits

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Akina

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 6:54am PST 
Akina was getting homecooked food for a while because she had calcium oxalate crystals, but she still wasn't a big eater. I usually try to avoid giving them meat because then Denali (my Husky) will hold out on his food because he thinks he'll be getting something special, even if I only give it to her. He probably lost a few pounds while she was on the homecooked diet lol. Thanks for the suggestion though!

We even tried raw for a while and she totally refused to eat it, which I thought was strange. I wasn't so sure about it myself though lol. I'm beginning to think that maybe she just doesn't eat as much as I feel like she should be eating. She isn't underweight, so there is probably nothing to be concerned about.
[notify]
Dolcenea

Akita Agility

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 12:58pm PST 
actually I was thinking more along the lines of, how many times a week does she get spaghetti dinner with meat balls, pizza, roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy, lasagna, stir fry, fried chicken, scrambled eggs, etc.

These were the types of food items I was thinking of besides kibble. My Akita's get their own plate of whatever it is I'm eating for that day. I feed them kibble too but I change it every time I have to purchase a new bag.
[notify]
Akina

Barked: Sat Apr 7, '12 5:57pm PST 
We have established a new feeding schedule for Akina. She's not much of a "morning dog" laugh out loud and she just didn't want to eat very much in the morning and I noticed that after I brought her in from her last walk of the night (around 11:00pm) she would lick her empty bowl. I was giving her 2 cups twice a day and she just wasn't eating it. So, her new schedule is 1 1/2 cups in the am, 1 1/2 cups around dinner time, and 1 cup at night. She has eaten all of her food the past few days smile I have also been adding a little bit of bottled water to her food and she seems to like that as well. I'm really happy that we finally found a feeding schedule that works for her!
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 5:43pm PST 
Akina- so glad she is eating better for you. Mine tend to be a little food after dinner,the meat they are given seems to stimulate their appetite and then again in the wee hours of the morning when hubby is getting ready for work. We leave kibble down all the time because mine have never settled on a specific time to eat and tend to be great at self regulation. If mealtimes work better for her then stick with it. Having two of them and bowls that are always full has actually helped me end food agression issues with Mika. I usually don't give advice on how or when to feed except with small puppies who need to eat often,aside from that I think it something that isn't an issue as long as it works for the dog and the person/people involved.way to gowishes
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 8, '14 7:31am PST 
I HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD FEMALE THAT WEIGHS ABOUT 105 LBS AND A BIG 3 YEAR OLD MALE WEIGHING A STRONG 135 LBS. NOW I HAVE TWO DAUGHTERS AND A WIFE THAT USED TO FEED TABLE FOOD TO MY DOGS AND THEY ALSO BECAME VERY PICKY EATERS. WHAT I ENDED UP DOING WAS COOKING PLAIN SCRAMBLED EGGS FOR THEM AND PUTTING IT INTO THEIR DRY FOOD WHEN IT WAS TIME TO EAT. NOW EGGS ARE VERY GOOD FOR THEIR SKIN AND COAT AND THEY ALSO FEEL LIKE THEY ARE GETTING FOOD THAT WE ALSO EAT. AFTER A BIT I WOULD START CUTTING DOWN HOW OFTEN I GAVE THEM EGGS AND EVENTUALLY THEY GOT TO THE POINT WHERE THEY WILL EAT THEIR DOG FOOD. I WILL STILL GIVE THEM EGGS AS A SPECIAL TREAT BUT THEY DONT GET TABLE FOOD FROM MY FAMILY ANYMORE AND THAT IS WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN FIRST.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2