GO!

Eating Habits

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Akina

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 4:16pm PST 
This is the first Akita that I have owned and she is 2 years old now. She isn't a big eater and I didn't know if that was a common thing for the breed. She just doesn't like to eat very much. According to the feeding guidelines of her food, she should be eating like 6 cups for her weight lol. She might eat 2 to 4 at most. She weighs about 85 pounds, but I think that she looks a little thin for her height and length. I'm probably just overreacting because I tend to do that when it comes to the dogs lol. Anyways, I'm just curious about how much your Akita eats. Thanks!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 5:09pm PST 
I can't tell just how big she is,but she looks wonderful. With 16 years research and 3 Akita's worth,I can tell you that even my monster boy Kai only eats about 3 cups per day at most,which is about half of what most bags of food including the Blue Buffalo Wilderness that I feed mine which is good quality and grain free. Eating less than another breed of a similar size is typical for most Akita's and most,though not all will self regulate food,that is you can put it in their bowl and they will eat what they want,not all you put out just because it's there. Hope that helps reassure you. If you run into anything you are curious about or I can help with,feel free to p-mail me anytime at Mika&Kai's page.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 5:11pm PST 
Just another little note,she will look a bit thin and lanky until around age 3. That is also typical to the breed since 3 is when they actually reach full maturity.
[notify]

Akina

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 5:26pm PST 
That definitely makes me feel better. I didn't know if it was common of the breed or if perhaps she picked it up from her Husky brother who doesn't eat regularly. We like to say that he watches his figure lol. I used to open bowl feed her, but decided to give her 2 cups twice a day and take it up if she didn't eat. That didn't seem to help either. I guess she just doesn't eat much. I do feed her a high quality grain free food and she gets plenty of exercise.

That was actually another question I had. I've read that they mature between 3 and 4 years of age. I've noticed that she has filled out a good bit in the past few months, but her head hasn't grown to "full Akita size". Will her head widen in the next year or two? Both the dam and sire of her litter have large, broad heads.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 5:02am PST 
Her head will definately get larger but it's hard to say just how much. Kai's parents both had very broad,large heads as well.Since he is only 2 as well,we can't say how much larger his will get than it already is,but I do know they can be as old as 5 before the filling out is completely done as far as their heads. One generation back also is not a great indicator,there can be dogs further back in the pedigree with slightly smaller heads that can pop up at any time down the road for a few generations anyway.
[notify]
Akina

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 6:15am PST 
I guess only time will tell, but either way she is still Momma's Girl and I love her just the way she is! haha
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 6:30pm PST 
I'm sure you do. I had my Akita/GSD mix and I have referred to her and elsewhere as my Akita in GSD clothing. She if you know the breed looked like a little of both,but most people took her as an off standard GSD. Her pic is at the bottom of M&K's page. She stole my heart and was the best dog I ever had. There are alot of Akita owners who have pretty much left Dogster now,that feel as I do,once you own a good Akita,no other breed will ever be right for you. Akina is absolutely beautiful,but I'm sure you feel the way I do,the outside is simply a reflection of the beauty on the inside.
[notify]
Dolcenea

Akita Agility

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 10:34am PST 
what else do you feed her besides kibble?
[notify]
Akina

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '12 10:40am PST 
She gets 2 small treats w/ her meds twice a day and usually one more larger treat at bed time. Everything she eats is high quality. No doggy junk foods.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 5:13am PST 
My pups do not get "junk- Food" either but I do give them each between 4 and 6 oz. of chicken,beef,or fish, or 2 eggs scrambled daily as well as their kibble. Mika at age 5 is trim and of her ideal weight,Kai at 2 and a half is still lean and a bit lanky,but his Dad did not completely fill out until after age 3. Perhaps adding some meat or fish( I cook mine)or even some canned food would get Akina to eat a bit more and gain weight a bit faster.Mine always get their food after we eat dinner as their "dinner" again they do not get leftovers or junk but something made specifically for them cooked at the same time but different pan,no seasonings. I do not give my pups pork because Mika has shown a sensitivity to it,and to avoid issues I give them both the same thing. Just a suggestion.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2