GO!

how do i get my akita fatter?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

osso

trust your akita- they are so- loveable!<3

Barked: Wed Sep 7, '11 7:18pm PST 
hello my akita is way to skinny and when i see these beautiful akitas they are chubby, so can somebody plz tell me what to feed my dog to get him more big! smile

Edited by author Wed Sep 7, '11 7:19pm PST

[notify]
Mika

As long as they- think they're- the boss

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 5:53am PST 
Osso,
I have several questions. How old is your dog?What do you currently feed and how much? What does your dog do active?couch potato?
has your dog been tested for worms or other health problems? What Akita's are you comparing to? How tall is he? Were his parents small or fine boned? All of these things will factor into what you think is a skinny dog. Not all Akita's look like the ones in the dog shows and those are blow-dried with special products to make their coat stand out so they appear heavier.
[notify]
Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 6:10am PST 
Osso,
I just looked at your profile and you're not skinny. You look fine. Most Akita's do their filling out between the ages of two and three so I wouldn't worry too,much as long as you're healthy and you look healthy. Your parent needs to go to Akita's and friends and join and look at all the shapes and sizes of Akita's there. Our parents have two of us I'm almost two and my older sister is almost five,she is only 24 inches tall at the shoulder,70lbs.and fine boned. She is all the bigger and fatter she will ever get. I am 28 inches at the shoulder and over 100lbs.the vet told my parents not to expect me to fill out until I'm around three and that when finished growing I could weigh as much as 130lbs. So Osso might just need more time.
[notify]

osso

Barked: Wed Sep 14, '11 4:50pm PST 
thank you! i will be three this october, i am 28 inches tall and weigh about 80 to 90 pounds.... i will wait untill i get filled in which is hopefully soon! thanks!
[notify]
Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Wed Sep 14, '11 6:27pm PST 
Osso,
It sounds like you're going to be like Mika. She is absolutely beautiful and a wonderful family dog,but she is my husbands girl. She basically stopped growing around 8or9 mos. and never got any bigger.She is very fine boned and takes more after the Japanese type although she is an American Akita. Kai on the other hand has about a year left to fill out he is just going to be 2 on the 25th of September. He has been at his 28inch height since he was just about a year and is on the thin side for now,but still gaining weight so we know he just needs time to grow into himself. He is sweet,loving,and affectionate on his terms.When he wants to cuddle he will seek you out otherwise he is very independent.He is Mommy's boy. So even nutured in the same house the same way they are very different.We love both and wouldn't trade either for the world,we just love and accept them for them.
[notify]
osso

Barked: Thu Sep 15, '11 8:33pm PST 
i see mika is very beautiful, osso is turning 3 on october 30. he is very loving he will cuddle up with you on a cold night, as a matter of fact he cuddles with me every night! when the kids fall or cry he is right there sitting next to them licking them! he is very loving and will do anything except for stop digging holes in the backyard! his markings are very beautiful, but in pictures his face looks all black but it is black and brown. i would love to get another akita but for now 2 dogs is enough our backyard is not very large for 3 dogs. i am going to get another one when my husky passes. my next akita im hoping for it to be all black with white socks. osso is not nutered yet,but my dad says we should becuse they act more calm. i tell him that osso is already calm he will sleep all day, but when we get home or play with him he is the most entergetic dog ever! when he is at the dog park or beach he loves to run around and play with all the dogs. his cousin is coming over this weekend and he is going to have so much fun playing around.he is so calm that when he runs away he walks!! well not for a million dollars will i give osso away! smilewave
[notify]
Mika

As long as they- think they're- the boss

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 8:50pm PST 
Osso,we have that problem with Kai,he loves to dig. So far we have filled in multiple holes under the fence(tries to scare rabbits in the neighbors yards)and he still digs in some of the same places and will seem to dig randomly,but we discovered that his "random" sites are chipmunk and mole holes.Mika never seemed to have the need to dig but because she doesn't we have to clip her nails which is so awful with her because she's a little higher strung and her being nervous makes us nervous especially when you're about to cut a nail and she moves the paw.Glad you are just enjoying Osso as himself. They can be such a wonderful breed in the right hands,in the wrong hands they end up with a bad reputation just like pitbulls,it's not the dog but the person(S)
behind the dog that create the problems.
[notify]