GO!

Introducing Spirit to the Akita page

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Spirit

Barked: Mon Aug 3, '09 4:36am PST 
Hello all Akita lovers/owners,

My name is Spirit. I am one year old (just turned one on yesterday!!!). I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to other Akita hope to be buddies. My mom got me and my sister Summer from a breeder at six weeks old. We have enjoyed growing up with my family of Mom and Dad and three children all under the age of seven.

Also, I sadly want to say that my sister Summer is no longer with us. She is in doggie heaven. She either ingested some sort of sickly animal outside or some one poisoned her with antifreeze. My neighbor, a doberman, passed away of the same symptoms as Summer only days after she did (it's so wierd). We are STILL trying to figure out the cause.

On a more happy note, I look forward to getting to know you all here in the Akita world. Also, it may be helpful if you could give my mom so pointers on training me. I am a VERY smart dog and knows how to do things like sit, lay, etc. But things like walking on a leash by her side or staying if the front door is open or stop eating things on the ground are still difficult for me. Again, thanks for having me aboard.

~~~~Spirit
[notify]
Mika

As long as they- think they're- the boss

Barked: Thu Aug 6, '09 10:15am PST 
Hi Spirit, Welcome to akitas and friends.My name is Mika. Happy Birthday (belated) .I'm a two and a half year old. My mommy and daddy got me from a breeder at 9wks. Mommy did a pretty good job of training me and She already had akita experience before she raised so if you'd like I'm sure she could help with some of your mommy's questions. For example my mommy taught me not to pick things up or chase things by walking me on a leash even in the yard using a training collar.Some people call it a choke -chain but u8sed properly it doesnt choke at all.mommy would let me sniff things but if I tried to pick-up something bad or chase the bunnies mommy would use a firm voice and tell me "leave it " and give a quick jerk and release on the collar. It took awhile until I understood but when I dropped to a sit beside her I got lots of praise and treats. Now I can do it even off leash and it makes mommy and daddy really happy that they can keep me safe . They even used the same technique to teach me not to take food from anyone unless they said it was okay. Maybe your mommy and daddy could try that. Please let me know if it was of any help and feel free to ask any other questions you have and mommy and I will try to help Nice to meet you and keep in touch.
Mika & Mikasmom
[notify]
Spirit

Barked: Mon Aug 10, '09 3:39am PST 
Thanks Mika for inviting me to allow my parents to ask questions to your parents. So here's my mommie:

Hello Mika mom, I do have a couple of questions.
1. What training collar did you purchase? Spirit is right at 85 pounds right now.
2. What technique did you use to get Mika not to eat from others or off the ground?
3. What technique did you use to get her to not chase other animals, etc.?

Spirit's Mom
[notify]

Mika

Barked: Mon Aug 10, '09 4:58am PST 
Spiritsmom, As I said the training collar was a simple "choke chain". I really hate that term because it gives such a terrible impression. All we did with Mika was walk her around the yard with her collar and leash(make sure the collar fits high on the neck,just behind the ears but loose enough to jerk and release.) and when she tried to pick-up something or run after something we3 told her "leave it" in a firm voice and gave a quick jerk and release on the leash .This tightens the collar for just a second and there is a small nerve in that area which doesn't seem to hurt them but does get their attention. After awhile and I can't say how long it will take your dog it took Mika about 4wks. when you say leave it they will listen. As far as not taking food from others we used the same technique and asked people we knew to offer her treats and other things we knew she liked and when she tried to take them we told her leave it and jerked the collar up she learned pretty quickly not to take things from anyone but us. When we go to Petco with her they often offer her cookies to make friends and she absolutely refuses to take them and turns her head away. It takes some practice and dedication but it could save her life.We live in a small city and our street sometimes gets busy and if we had'nt taught her to leave it she could easily run on the road and be hit by a car,kids have thrown rocks in the yard ,what's to stop someone from throwing poison meat next.We had to do something effective to keep her from harm.
Good luck and don't give up ,the more practice you get thge faster He'll learn.Take care and keep in touch. I'll be happy to help as much as I can Mika&mikasmom
[notify]
Mika

Barked: Mon Aug 10, '09 9:54am PST 
P.S. Please come join us at akitas and friends. Several of us share tips, training techniques, and just stories of akitas and how much we learn from and about our dogs and their breed Mika&Mikasmom
[notify]