GO!

What To Do When In The Summer Heat ??

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

♥- Misty- ♥

Never- Give Up- !!!

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 7:48am PST 
shrug With Spring time here and Summer upon us i have been thinking about how will Misty fair in the summer heart out door ? Should i have her shaved as some friends have suggested or trim right back ?
Misty is our first long haired dogs and we have found many differences from brushes to bathing.

blue dogAny help is much appreciated.
[notify]
Porscha

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 3:25pm PST 
Hello, Nice to see a Akita person on here.

First off I would not shave Misty. Her being a woolie (Long coat Akita) If there isn't a problem with the coat i do not recommend shaving it all off. Some people think that shaving will keep their dogs cooler in the hot summer. Dogs do not sweat to keep cool like people do, they pant instead. They may also sweat through the pads of their feet if they are overheating. (or if they are really stressed) Removing the coat is removing the insulation they have against the elements. Insulation works both ways, to keep heat in and to keep heat out. Without their coat they are also exposed to the risk of sunburn. The best way to keep your woolie cool is to keep her inside with airconditioning, fans or on a cool floor. Provide plenty of water and shade. If you shave their coat off it may take quite some time for it to grow back. And do not be surprised if it doesn't grow back the same. So i would not recommend shaving Misty. If you can buy her a crate and keep her indoors with airconditioning that would be best for Misty. Long Coat Akitas dont do well out in the heat.

*Hope this helps, if you need any more help on how to bathe, brush or anything else regarding Akitas, i will be happy to help. smilesmile
[notify]
Samson

Stubborn and- Dominant, Humpty- Humper

Barked: Sun May 24, '09 8:35pm PST 
hi i came across this question, and i have shaved my long coat in the winter, but the other poster is right it does keep them cooler, so ive not done it in the summer, as you also have to watch out for sun burn!! i have a baby pool out for mine on hot days. and he only sleeps on the cool basement floor. you have have somewhere cool for your long coat to sleep. the basement is the best place as its nice and cold, or give them an airconditioned room or a fan. they need it!! thanks,
[notify]

Sasha

Princess - Dog? - Where...lol

Barked: Tue May 26, '09 4:27pm PST 
Please do not shave her.

Take her out early in the day and late in the day.

Create shade, plenty of water.

Pay attention to labored breathing, panting. Limit time outside in direct sunlight on the hotest days.

Anita
[notify]
♥- Misty- ♥

Never- Give Up- !!!

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 2:02pm PST 
wave Ty for all your help i will not shave her or cut her back i love her long fur flowing. Now she is blowing her fur and its alot and have a shed ender it is working well and now i know she will fair well in the summer after all her under coat is gone big grin

Yes she will not be out in the hottest part of the day for long and when outside in shade with water with ice cubes in it blue dog

Ty again wink
[notify]
Crickette

Life is best as- an Akita

Barked: Mon Jun 15, '09 3:24pm PST 
Hello,
Misty and most other dogs need their coats for insulation against the heat as well as the cold, I wouldn't recommend shaving her. Kiddie pools are absolutely fantastic for cooling as well as a bunch of fun! She should always have shade and fresh water available and do most of her exercising in the morning or evening. Akitas are very intellegent and will regulate their own pace. Good luck!
[notify]