GO!

Is Your Akita De-Sexed or In-Tact? :)

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Saki

Cute Lil Hound o- Hell ;)

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 4:48am PST 
My Akita pup is 6 months & I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to spay her (or whether to get tubal ligation.)

Did you decide to de-sex your Akita, or to keep him/her in-tact?

What are the reasons for your decision?
[notify]
Casey

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 3:40pm PST 
We got Casey from a rescue and he was already fixed when we got him.Im glad he was because now I dont have to worry about him getting with a female and haveing pups that I might not be able to find homes for.smile
[notify]
Casey

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 3:41pm PST 
We got Casey from a rescue and he was already fixed when we got him.Im glad he was because now I dont have to worry about him getting with a female and haveing pups that I might not be able to find homes for.smile
[notify]

Saki

Cute Lil Hound o- Hell ;)

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 5:24pm PST 
Thanks Casey! smile

Saving a dog from a rescue is such a very awesome thing to do smile

And it is only responsible that rescue dogs are desexed smile x
[notify]
Kita- Adopted! :)

Big dogs can be- lap dogs too!

Barked: Sun Jun 8, '08 8:48pm PST 
There are several akita rescues in the united states. Unfortuantely its hard to find foster homes so they can only save so many. Few people want to foster a large dog that can sometimes be aggressive with other dogs... especially when they already have another akita in the house- which most akita fosters do have their own akitas.

There are some mixed breed akitas in the shelter/rescue system, but there are MORE pure bred akitas. Its not crazy like lab and pit populations in the shelters, but there are still some. Akitas are also harder to adopt because they are akitas. I love them, don't get me wrong, but this is just a fact of rescue.

I would recommend getting her spayed. Its more likely she will be ok with other dogs and you don't have to worry about a stray male dog trying to break into your yard to get to your female when she's in heat.

And I would recommend against breeding her. If you want more akitas there are lots of pure breds in the rescue system and they really need akita lovers. Or if you just want a litter of akita puppies, they need foster homes to save akita puppies from kill shelters.

Best of luck to you and your pup

blue dogblue dog
[notify]
MASH

MONSTER MASH

Barked: Mon Jul 7, '08 8:52pm PST 
Unless you plan on breeding him/her. There really is no reason to keep the dog in-tact. Actually, its better for the dog health-wise to be altered...less chance of mammary cancer, ovarian cancer, testicular cancer, etc.

Mine is neutered. smile
[notify]