GO!

Akita Training Questions

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Kita- Adopted! :)

Big dogs can be- lap dogs too!

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '07 3:04pm PST 
Do most of you Akita owners have one dog or two? What about cats? Did you have to train your akita to get along with other animals? How did you find out if they were good with other animals? Does anyone have any Akita specific training sites for teaching an Akita to accept other animals?

Kita (my foster pup) is very submissive, from what I've read that's unusual for this breed. She's goofy but really easy going, rolls over on to her belly for anyone. She's really friendly with anyone she meets.
[notify]
Thea

B52 bomber- jet!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '07 6:17pm PST 
I have an akita and a sheltie. My akita is calm with my sheltie most of the time. In fact, the only time she gets aggressive with my sheltie is when she is playing or trying to show dominace-a common trait from most akitas. My dog is usually calm and relaxed in doors until she senses something outside that she should bark about. I figure my akita gets along indoors.
It is outdoors that is very hard to train an akita. It seems that my akita has a short attentionspand. My akita easily gets distracted with other animals such as cats and other dogs. If I was you, don't let your akita off the leash outdoors until you have it properly trained. I know that my akita won't listen to me until she has tired herself out running when she is off the leash.
[notify]
Sugar

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '07 8:21pm PST 
Hey, my girl Sugar, is part Akita, part White German Shepherd. She is great with my 4 other dogs. Turns out she's fantastic with my son's little pitbull puppy! She lets the puppy chew on her, tug, and wrestles. I'm not sure, because she's a mix, if her true Akita temperament has a chance to show. She does show extreme interest in the neighborhood stray cats. At nearly 6 years of age, she hasn't shown any signs of slowing down.

According to some shelter folks, her temperament is more Shepherd than Akita. No agression in her at all. Protective and informative when necessary.

I really can't say enough about her, she's all good.
[notify]

Thea

B52 bomber- jet!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '07 8:49pm PST 
Sugar is a pretty dog. My dog is a mixed as well. She is akita, husky, and lab. She is pretty wild when she finds things to attract her attention. She is playful, but she doesn't mess with any kid. She is very good with kids that kids often bother her. lol
[notify]
Willow

Come'on im cute- i should get a- treat

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '07 10:08pm PST 
I have an Akita mix German Shepard and she is calm and only barks if theres something to bark about but she does get "chewie" shes great with my 2 year old nephew and I read that Japanese would leave akitas to look after the kids and could be left alone with the kids the dogs are good at guarding family Willow shows no food aggression gets jelouse of the cats and rabbit but respects them. dog I find though she needs good exercise. smile
[notify]
Thea

B52 bomber- jet!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 8:28am PST 
I agree with the excercise part. I think akitas need to be walked at least 30 minutes a day; they have so much energy. My akita mutt does protect her family and turf, which is why I love akitas very much. She does; however, pick on her brother, who is a sheltie a lot. lol
[notify]
Chief

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 8:42am PST 
I have an 18 month old Akita and two cats. When I got Chief, he was 6 weeks old and 9 pounds. At that time, I only had 1 cat, an 11 year old Siamese who weighs 17 pounds. So, Chief was brought up with the cat from the start. He has never shown any agression of any sort, but he wants to play and the cat doesn't. In Sept of this year, I got new kitten, and Chief is great with her. I was very concerned, but he is pretty gentle with her. The only thing is he will chase the cats, and should he step on them, it wouldn't be good, but they are much quicker than him. But Chief will bark and bark at the stray cats, so I'm assuming he'd probably hurt them.
[notify]
Nummy Muffin- Kookoo- Butter

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '08 11:13am PST 
I've had up to three Akitas. The females were always more aggressive than the males. They all got along better with the opposite gender as well. I've only had one that was the least bit submissive, and he had been the runt of his litter, so he probably had an inferiority complex! I've never let them around other animals - I was told if they're not raised with them as a puppy, then don't.
I believe the most important thing is to let them know who's boss, b/c they will test you, and won't listen to you if you fail. One thing I did was to stand over them while they ate. Akitas I didn't do things like this with would be harder to train.

Edited by author Wed Jan 2, '08 11:16am PST

[notify]
Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Why sit when you- could lie down?

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 11:03am PST 
Kodi is an Akita/Pit bull mix, which makes most people raise their eyebrows and go "Whoa..." and back away. Drives me nuts cause he is the swetest dog on the planet and will go on his back for q belly rub with almost anybody.

As far as other animals, I havent had a chance to socialize him with anybody other than dogs. None of my friends and family have cats and small animals ...well my sister has a bunny and Kodi has sniffed him from his cage but doesnt seem to care that the bunny could be food. We havent let them out together cause the bunny is very skittish to begin with.

Anyways, as far as dogs are concerned... Kodi is a regular nanny. Or beseiged older brother. Every puppy at the dog park LOVES to play with him. He never objects when they are crawling all over him, nipping at his legs, or just plain being obnoxious. Even when they are only a few months younger than him (he will be 10 mo tomorrow), he just looks at me like "Mom, do I hafta let Jesse follow me around? I want to play with the big boys."
[notify]
Bella

Hey...You wanna- dig?

Barked: Tue Apr 1, '08 2:42pm PST 
I have 2. One female(Bella 1yr, 4months) and one male (Elvis, 1yr in May). They are COMPLETE opposites! Came from different breeders, therefore have different tempermants. She is def. more aggressive and he is def. the pushover! laugh out loud My 5 and 2 yr old could pull on him, try to ride him like a horse, pull his feet....you name it and he is taking it and loving it. She on the otherhand is more...snippy!
I took her to training and she completed up to the Intermediate class. She HAD to be shown who was boss, and it wasn't her! She's def. stubborn but VERY smart.
I love my dogs and am so glad we chose Akita's. I did alot of reading on line (googled info) and learned alot from training.
hope this might help!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3