GO!

New Akita

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Willa

Willa - Shhhh I'm- hunting!

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '07 7:35pm PST 
Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I adopted Willa about 2 months ago. She's 11 months old now! We love her and she loves us. Normally she is very good - sits quietly while we are sleeping or studying, she's only had a couple of accidents in spite of never being formally potty trained). she's really sweet and not headstrong . . . she even listen and do all the unreasonable (come, sit, down) things we ask of her (very un-akita-ish of her, we know)!

the only negative is that she has irrational fears! she is not quite the fearless Akita we thought she would be! she got so scared on one of her walks once that she was pulling so hard and i was resisting so hard that it looked like she was doing the breast stroke on the sidewalk. and trust me it was as painful to watch as it is to read, she even chipped a couple of her nails!

bikes, scooters, groups of people walking behind her and being noisy . . . those are her fears it seems like. she is pretty good in the house . . . she isn't afraid of the vacuum at all! i'm starting to think - based on her fear responses - that she is more shiba than akita!

any suggestions? any one else have this problem?

Edited by author Thu Jul 26, '07 8:17pm PST

[notify]
Buttercup

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '07 9:23am PST 
I got my Akita mix at 2 months old and she is now 7 months old and she is scared of people shes never seen or even if shes seen them she hides behind me she runs from my husband, shes scared of new cars. And now shes being picky on what she eats. shes very big and very powerful and alot of puppy. Shes very active with me running and stuff but when someone else comes shes hiding in her house and barking.. So i have the same problem you have..
[notify]
Suki Kami of the Northern Lake

People?.......- Where!

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '07 12:57am PST 
what you guys are going threw has nothing to do with the breed and everything to do with the breeder. If an akita is not socialize continueously as they grow they will become fearfull. Alot of breeders today do not take the time to properly introduce their puppies to new enviroments and people. My akita was very similar when I got her. She was already 6 months old and had never been around anything other then her mother and siblings in the garage. Find something that your pup likes to play with. Go out at night when there are less cars and people and start playing. Don't give your pup a chance to realize that anything is going on right away just let them have fun. This isn't a quick fix but the longest lasting in the long run. And as for akitas being antisocial....... I have never met an agresive akita. I have studied the breed and talked to breeders over in Japan where the breed originates from and have found out that the american conception is compleatly off. The akita was breed for 3 things.... hunting... protection... and believe it or not babysitting. They wanted a dog who could deciede with inteligence between danger and not. They also wanted a dog that would be social and gentle with the family. The only Akitas that I have ever heard of that had any agreshion issues were either on a low protien diet (special breed needs feed food with a minimum of 22% crude protien from animal fats as the breed tends to suffer from protien deficency) or were badly abused..... hope all of this helps... feel free to pm me if you need more help.
[notify]

Suki Kami of the Northern Lake

People?.......- Where!

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '07 12:57am PST 
what you guys are going threw has nothing to do with the breed and everything to do with the breeder. If an akita is not socialize continueously as they grow they will become fearfull. Alot of breeders today do not take the time to properly introduce their puppies to new enviroments and people. My akita was very similar when I got her. She was already 6 months old and had never been around anything other then her mother and siblings in the garage. Find something that your pup likes to play with. Go out at night when there are less cars and people and start playing. Don't give your pup a chance to realize that anything is going on right away just let them have fun. This isn't a quick fix but the longest lasting in the long run. And as for akitas being antisocial....... I have never met an agresive akita. I have studied the breed and talked to breeders over in Japan where the breed originates from and have found out that the american conception is compleatly off. The akita was breed for 3 things.... hunting... protection... and believe it or not babysitting. They wanted a dog who could deciede with inteligence between danger and not. They also wanted a dog that would be social and gentle with the family. The only Akitas that I have ever heard of that had any agreshion issues were either on a low protien diet (special breed needs feed food with a minimum of 22% crude protien from animal fats as the breed tends to suffer from protien deficency) or were badly abused..... hope all of this helps... feel free to pm me if you need more help.
[notify]