GO!

Yorkie or Silky?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pixie

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '07 3:51pm PST 
I got my puppy from a yorkie breeder and I'm trying to figure out if she is indeed a yorkie or if she is a silky terrier. We went to the dog park today and I was talking to some fellow yorkie owners and one said that her breeder told her it was a yorkie but was in fact a silky. It doesn't really matter to me, but I was just curious and was trying to see if anyone had any opinions as to whether she is a yorkie or silky. I have more pictures if you can't tell from the couple I have posted. She is almost 5 months old and weighs about 8 pounds
[notify]
Chip

happy dog, happy- dog

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '07 8:21pm PST 
Looks yorkie to me.
[notify]
Hula

Hulamoon born in- June loves to be- awake

Barked: Fri Oct 24, '08 7:01am PST 
My dog Hula is half Yorkie and half Silky~he looks all Yorkie except he weighs 11 lbs. which reflects the larger size of the Silky....he is as cute as can be and I wouldn't trade him for a full breed any day-I love my hybrid baby!! Hula's mommy
[notify]

Patton

Trouble Boy

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 9:46pm PST 
Yorkies and Silkies are often confused with one another. Their faces are indistiguishable , the difference is their torso length. Yorkies are compact with their length more closely matching their height. Silkies have a longer (more dachschund-like) torso length and that's the reason they weigh a couple pounds more than the Yorkie.
[notify]
Rosie

Nosey Rosey

Barked: Tue Mar 3, '09 1:57pm PST 
It's hard to tell and you will have some Yorkie "purists" who will say that a Yorkie must be 7lbs or under. I have a 6 lb yorkie and I have people comment on how "big" she is!?! Oh well, good thing we don't love our dogs according to how SMALL they are smile
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Thu Mar 12, '09 10:46am PST 
Our Yorkie is 10 lbs. I had someone tell me to be that big she has to be a Silkie. I inquired on a Yorkie website (www.yorkies.com) and they told me she is a Yorkie and that they have seen Yorkies as big as 20 lbs.
[notify]
Raisin Pie

Perfect in every- way.

Barked: Fri Apr 10, '09 10:19pm PST 
My vet said the silkie is larger than the Yorkie but looks the same. The standard size for a Yorkshire terrier is 7 1/2 lbs; anything larger could be considered a Silkie. That's my understanding. Might want to Google for information also.
[notify]
Kyra

Condemn the deed- not the breed

Barked: Mon Sep 6, '10 3:24am PST 
Hello,

It looks half-yorkie and half-silky to me.

Best regards,
Oliver and Kyra

Author of Obedience Training For Dogs blog
[notify]
Fiona

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 11:11am PST 
Half yorkie, half silky to me, which is beautiful! I actually had someone ask me if Fiona is a silky since she is fairly larger than most yorkies, she is about 12.3lbs, but she is pure yorkie!
[notify]
Scooter

Barked: Mon Dec 27, '10 6:53am PST 
My Sadie is a silky I have pictures of her posted if you want to see.
Scooter is a yorkie-poo.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2