GO!

weight of Whippets on breed description

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sage

born to run

Barked: Sun Jun 8, '08 10:24am PST 
The weight of Whippets on the breed page says 19 to 22 pounds. Does any one weigh that little? F.Ch Indigo Sage ASFA F.Ch, WRA RCh, RN in lure coursing or racing weight was between 30 and 31 pounds. 11 year old Whippet Emmett is between 35 and 37 pounds. He is 1.5 inches taller then Sage.
[notify]
Pacer

Hairy houdini

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '08 6:13pm PST 
Pacer is 35 lbs and Tigger is 29. I guess the breed description got mixed up with IG's?
[notify]
Gunner

Tally ho- Gunslinger

Barked: Wed Aug 6, '08 9:37am PST 
My three whippets (all show bred) range from 30 pounds to 40 and they are all in good shape, not too thin, but just right. They run or walk every day. Most whippets I know are about 25 to 35 pounds.
[notify]

jane [never- forgotten]

Barked: Thu Aug 28, '08 2:43pm PST 
hi
the problem seems to be that whippets are getting bigger and bigger. the whippets i had in the 70's weighed about 20 or 22 pounds. now the ones you see are heavy boned taller dogs. its a shame that they dont look so dainty now. snoopy
[notify]
Indiana- Jones

Barked: Mon Sep 8, '08 10:56am PST 
Indy weighs in at 30 pounds and I think that is perfect.
[notify]
Paco

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 7:06pm PST 
My two boys are 29.5 pounds and 30.5 pounds. They look small in the show ring next to other male whippets. I like the size they are at and wish breeders would keep them smaller.
[notify]
Moneypenny

oh mon, her says- her loves her- mom!

Barked: Tue Jan 12, '10 7:06pm PST 
my whippet her name is moneypenny she is 20 to 22 ponuds. she has always been that weight all her life/ she is almost 16 years old. she just recently had her 3rd stroke. this last one was pretyty severe. well the recovery part isnt very well. she had it about 2 ina half weeks ago. she is still rel wobbily, and when you call her, she sometimes looks all other ways except your way. and walks in circles some of the time. the last two (last one 1 year ago) she recovered 95% in like 5 to 7 days. o this last sunday she was out side for like 5 minutes- i wasnt paying much attention and she came over and had this huge gash on her face-she must have ran into something being that she is soooo wobbily and falls very easily. and had to take her to the vet and they put in 8 stitches. yeah it was really bad. i feel bad but she eats and drinks and she still likes her toys. some people tell me to put her down right now????

Edited by author Tue Jan 12, '10 7:07pm PST

[notify]