GO!

What do you do when you can't afford the medications?

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

Goldie

Goldie - Wasn't me!

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 3:47am PST 
My sweet Goldie has been diagnosed with auto-immune hemolytic anemia (her body is killing her red blood cells), and has not responded fully to the first two medications we tried. We started a new medication (Cyclosporine) last week, and it costs about $80 each week. The earliest I will find out if it is working is Thursday. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to pay for very many more doses, and I'm scared that my little girl will die because I can't afford her care.

Has anyone else had to make the difficult decision of euthanasia because they can't afford life-saving care? How do you deal with the guilt?
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 4:19am PST 
I'm sorry your in that situation. hug Some vets will take meds back that owners don't finsh, mine does. Have you asked if they have any donated meds? Or any other vets? Have you contacted the Humane Society or SPCA? I think they have sliding scale payments. Good Luck! hug
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 12:24pm PST 
you can try an online pharmacy.

1800petmeds.com had the medication you were looking for. You didnt' saw how much you give or the dosage required but the prices on there may help if you're welling to buy a large amount like 30 caplses or something.

This is were i bought jake's pain medication when he was on a perscription pain med and tranquilizer after he hurt his back. Saved me some money.

I also recommend searching your area for a vet that will work with you on payments and take your pets file there. Or if you have a petsmart in your area. join Banfield's program.

That also saved me a lot when Jake and later Caroline needed work done.

If neither of those options are available i'd call around there are some funds out there for peoplew who can't afford medical for there pets or maybe Care Credit?

Good luck to you! hug
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 2:12pm PST 
my dog aries has the same problem. and her problem is that she is not responding to the medications she is on. and her red cells are at 18. not good. last week the count was 27 now today april 5 18. i think i am running out of options for her. and i am sad and scared for what i may have to do for her.
bigdog-2006@comcast.netfrown
[notify]
Jessie Mae

Run Run Run

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 8:11pm PST 
my boxer had cancer and auto immune disease. i had to put her down cause the cancer surgery would have been more than i could afford. they also said it would most likley come back. she was still happy but not herself in the end .It was the hardest thing i have ever had to do. I hope you can make peace with whatever you decide.
[notify]