GO!

Naming a new dog in honor of older one

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 6:55pm PST 
If it makes you happy , sure go for it....way to go

Zelda_Click_On_me

Hugs & Farts
Ye Old Thor....wave
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 8:12pm PST 
Years ago my person's dad had a golden lab named Moses. He now has a ridge back/lab cross who is the same color as Moses and looks a little like him. My dad named him Moses because he missed the first Moses a lot.

It is a little like naming a child after a parent or a deceased relative. If it would make you feel better to name your dog after your older dog, go for it. dancing

dog walk
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 11:05pm PST 
I won't do it. Ever.

Not only do I feel that I can keep my pets memories alive in many other ways that honors them without having the rename another pet after them, but I feel it honors them BETTER to keep it reserved to just them, if that makes sense. Maya has her paw print, name and dates tattooed on my inner forearm of my right arm. Charlie will likely get similar when he passes, as well as his ashes. I feel photographs, a tattoo and memories are good enough for me.

My MIL had a bichon/shih-tzu she named after her late bichon/shih-tzu - Coda, both of which were in turn, named after her father's bichon/shih-tzu who was a Cody. My MIL IS the type of person to expect a dog to be just as the dog prior. In fact, she once had a Shepherd mix who was naturally very well behaved, no training whatsoever. So after she passed, she got another and when that Shepherd did not meet up to the expectations of the late Shepherd and needed training/socialization, she rehomed it. Then she got a Shepherd/Aussie, who ALSO does not get training or socialization that is necessary, and feels this dog should also just naturally be a very good dog. My MIL is not the brightest star in the sky, nor is she a very good owner..

For a middle name or a second name, perhaps I'd be okay with it. But as a first/sole name? No. Not in a million years. My next dog may very well not suit the name Charlie too and I feel every pet I have has the right to have me get to know them on an individual/personal basis that is each their own and therefore, creates a name each their own. Charlie and Maya already had their names. Ria was named by my fiance as she is his dog. Neither of us will ever reuse the names. Besides.. I've made a large list of names I like already for my next dog if I don't rescue. wink
[notify]

Bingo-In- Memory

Appreciate the- small things

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 3:39pm PST 
I have definitely decided to do this. I think its definitely a matter of perosnal choice and Id ask anyone who is bothered by it to consider that people who choose to do this, as I do may very well be excellent and caring owners. If I did have a human child I would most likely name them after someone signficant in my life, to me names in memory of someone else are more special then "unique" name

thanks for all your your comments
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2