GO!

Should I get my dog put down?

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 2:29pm PST 
How old are you guest?

Sounds like you need to work on establishing a more reliable recall before allowing your dog so much freedom.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 4:20pm PST 
The point i am trying to get to is that. He is my first dog and we will not re-home him. He has daily walks a fence and two gates, he has a bad childhood before we brought him into our home. He is a cuddly dog and has had a few close calls.We are all just worried if he manages to open the gate(his sister is very good and jumping and bumping the gate open) and escapes when we are not home,or if it happens at night. Am i not aloud to be worried. Because When i was 4 my cat died when she was hit by a car.

Edited by author Mon Aug 13, '12 4:29pm PST

[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 6:46pm PST 
Instead of simply being worried you should think about what you can do to prevent it instead - like building a better fence, putting a lock on the gate, or putting your dog on a leash.

Edited by moderator Mon Aug 27, '12 2:39pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 10:01pm PST 
Why when you know that your dogs can get out by jumping the fence or opening the gates are they allowed to be outside when you are not home or all night?
Keeping an outside dog is really not fair to the dog,although I can understand that some people feel differently,there is no reason they should be allowed in harms way. I do not like tethering them in the yard but it is far safer than trusting luck that they will stay in the yard and/or allowing them to be in harms way. I own two very large dogs,they share our home,our room and even our bed. They are not "just dogs" they are loved and respected family members as they should be. They are fed,sheltered,given routine as well as any other medical care they need,just as I would provide for my children,I provide for my dogs who trust and depend on me for their wellbeing and safety. They are not human children but they are living creatures whos lives are no less valuable than a human's and having decided to get a dog YOU signed up to provide them with the things they need,no one made you get a dog,that was your decision,however when you got it,you made the commitment to provide for it's needs and safety. So do you job and provide for it,properly or find someone who will. Dogs do not teach themselves things anymore than children do,you as the "higher" being have the responsibility to teach the dog how to be safe,then you won't need to worry about how you will feel when it gets hit because it won't happen.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 8:53am PST 
Owning a dog is NOT a right, it is a responsibility and that responsibility entails keeping the dog safe and secure. You are NOT allowed to worry when you knowingly keep a dog outside, with no one home, knowing full well it can AND WILL get out.
As a responsible pet owner, rather than killing your dog re your original topic, (Should I get my dog put down?), you should rehome him with someone who will care for him properly and not leave him in unsafe situations.
Otherwise, by being allowed to run free and alone, he WILL end up getting killed and it will be no one's fault but your own!
I am done with this thread... I find it too hard to understand how anyone can care so little for a pet they bring into their home. It makes me sick to think you could even consider killing a dog instead of properly caring for it!!!!
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 9:34am PST 
You say you worry about him getting out of the yard, making it sound like that's your only concern, but yet on the 2nd page you said "we take them to a beech for him to run free,but when we go back to the car in the car park he runs off. Or on the beech chases after cars " So you know he takes off but yet you continue to let him run free. thinking Please tell me what I'm missing here
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 1:23pm PST 
A dog getting hit by a car is usually preventable. For all the reasons already stated: you can safely tether the dog, walk the dog onleash or in a harness, fully secure your gates and don't put the dog outside unsupervised. It really is that simple. Dogs should never be given that much freedom until they are taught to handle it, that is your responsibility as a pet guardian.

Would you blame a three year old human child if he or she ran out in the street while they were in your care? this is no different. They are relying on you to keep them safe. It is your responsibility.

In case you are young and have parents who own their own home, consider this: If my dog runs out in the street and causes an accident and someone gets hurt, I am liable, because the accident would be considered to be my fault. I must pay for damages and medical bills for all parties involved and if I don't have the cash, they can sue me for my house. If the people themselves don't, their insurance companies most certainly will. So I'd have a dead dog and no place to live. Hmmmm I'd rather take preventative measures, thanks.

Edited by moderator Mon Aug 27, '12 2:38pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Dogster HQ

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 10:29am PST 
Hi,

We have closed this thread. Threads can be closed temporarily or permanently for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are: the thread has gone off topic; the thread is not in the 'spirit' of Dogster; the thread is no longer fun, friendly or informational; the thread has been discussed at length in other threads; or we cannot provide adequate moderation at this time.

Please let HQ know if you have any questions.

HQ

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3