GO!

Our sweet bassett is gone, did I do the right thing?

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

Daisy

Big Ham

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 6:40am PST 
Daisy had to be put down on May 19...we are broken hearted beyond belief. It happened so quickly. The vet hospital said it would cost $10,000 for a back operation, which was way more than we could afford. She couldn't walk all of a sudden, just raise herself up on her front paws and was shaking all over. I didn't want her to feel pain anymore, but I feel so guilty now. Even if they did an MRI, they said there was a 99% chance she would still need the surgery. She was only 6 years old, I can't seem to shake the feeling that I failed her. So sad. The house is so empty without my beloved friend.
[notify]
Lil Girl - R.I.P- Sweetheart

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 7:50am PST 
So sorry about Daisy. Don't ever feel like you failed her. Not everyone has $10,000 in their back pocket. Even if you had insurance, you'd still have to pay up front. I know I couldn't pay that kind of money should something happen to my dogs. Putting our babies down is not something anyone wants to do, but if we are freeing them of their pain and suffering, then it's the right thing to do. Don't beat yourself up feeling guilty. Think about the pleasure she brought to you and the good life that you gave her.hughughug
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 8:39am PST 
So sorry for your loss of Daisy. Feeling a bit of doubt and guilt is pretty normal but concentrate on the good life you did give her. No one can fault you for not having a spare $10,000. just lying around for emergency surgery.
Although it is difficult,you are missing her,and you will continue to do so,you did the absolutely best thing you could for her. You stopped her suffering. I have been in your place and had to make that decision more than once,it never gets easier,there has never been one case where I have not felt as you do but in the end it all comes down to the same thing,when all other options are gone,there is nothing more you can do,and the beloved animal is suffering,the greatest gift we can give them is to know that their suffering needs to end,put aside our doubt,grief,and fear and for their own sake be selfless enough and love them enough to let them go.hughughughughughughug to you in your grief and loss.
[notify]

(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 1:36am PST 
well no body has that much money around and even i must admid that i would have to put my dog down in a situation like that.
you had the odds against you sweetie...
and you stopt her suffering..that is what friendship is..
to make sure they are happy and that they dont suffer
she understands it...and only time can heal your painhughughughughug
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 7:49am PST 
I am so sorry you had to end Daisy's suffering. I had to put my 6 yr old GSD down due to leukemia. She handled it well until the last day where she showed a lot of pain. Even though I know I ended her suffering and I knew she wanted me to let her go, you still feel the guilt. Even dogs that have had a long life and are suffering from old age, you still feel guilty putting them to sleep. You did the best for your Daisy that you possibly could do. Back surgeries are not an easy thing for a dog to go through - it could have been a lot more pain and suffering trying to extend her life - and it still may not have helped her. Of course you did the right thing to end her suffering. Think of all the love and the good times you had together - she will always be with you.
Keep us posted on how you are doing - it is a very sad emotional time for you right now.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 9:02pm PST 
Do NOT feel guilty in any way shape or form! You loved Daisy - that is true and she loved you and you gave her the choice of not living in pain. You set her free. little angel Back surgeries are not easy. I have a friend who paid $9000.00 for her dog's back surgery. He lived for 3 more years. He was still in pain and she cried every day until one day he made it clear to her it was his time to go. She's regretted the surgery saying that he suffered for years afterwards. It was her choice, yet when it was his time she let him go...
Hugs to you and your family... hug
[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 5:34pm PST 
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend..frown

Rest In Peace Daisy .... rainbow

Thoughts & Prayers
Rommel & Thor..cry
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 8:57am PST 
I'm so sorry. It's such a personal decision. You did what you felt was best for your Daisy. You are right that the surgery and MRI are very expensive. Even with surgery, if you were already paralyzed, there's no guarantee you could have walked again. My heart goes out to you...sending you lots of PoP

hughughughughughughughughug
[notify]
Cookie

Can I have your- food? PLEASE?!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 3:58pm PST 
hughughug I am so very sorry for you.rainbow
[notify]