GO!

Knowing when to say goodbye...

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 3:09pm PST 
Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've posted, and I'm currently in the middle of a struggle of knowing when to say goodbye to my childhood dog. =( Teido will be 14 years old in September and my Mom currently takes care of him. Teido has congestive heart failure, and my mom has been treating him for two years. In January, Teido became very sick. It was *thought* to be due to a "bug". Unfortunately since then, my Mom thinks it's because of his medications. He is on a heart pill, Vetmedin and a fluid pill. He no longer will take the pills nor is he physically able (diarrhea and vomiting). He is retaining fluid and having a hard time moving around. My Mom is having a very difficult time deciding if she should euthanize him. She tells me his mind is there, but his body is not. I am not able to make a good decision for her because I am not witnessing this deterioration, and he's my dog who taught me what I know about dogs to this day. We have discussed about his suffering, and she's not sure if he is or isn't. She doesn't want to prematurely make any decisions, but is from a small town in WV where the best vet care is not readily available. I told her I would research and find out what others do in this situation. I would definitely consider this our desperate plea for help and would love some feedback. Thanks so much!
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 5:14pm PST 
What does the vet say? The best advice I can give you is this - how is THEIR quality of life. We held on to Baby to long and realized it was us being selfish and that she was uncomfortable. When we decided to finally let her go it was a relief. For all of us... I would go to the vet, they may just have to adjust the meds... Good luck..flowers
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 1:06am PST 
there are two signs...
when the dog is so ill...that you just KNOW that it's time...
and when the quality of life just is no longer nice and good for the dog.
if a dog can't walk anymore,or when a body is just failing.....it's good to understand that a dog doesn't want to life like that...the mind can be good,but what does a dog do with a good mind but a body that doesn't work anymore?
talk to your vet...let him look at it and ask him for advice...
vet's know and they can help you making the right choices
[notify]

Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 3:44am PST 
Thanks for the responses. I guess his quality of life is not very good. My Mom keeps him comfortable and helps him around. She has given up on the medicines because the second time she started them back up, he fell sick again. It seems like his body is rejecting them at this point. He is retaining a lot of fluid and his back legs are swelling. The worst part is his breathing is extremely labored. I know she wants to do what is right for him, but is having a hard time making the final decision. She has been talking to the vet, but he hasn't seen him in a couple weeks. I think my Mom knows once she takes him down, it will be all over. Please don't think my Mom is cruel, she is just by herself and trying to cope with everything that's been happening. I'm trying to find out as much information as I can to help justify a final decision. Thanks again, it's been a rough time for us both.
[notify]

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 4:40am PST 
it's not cruel...it's the most and prescious thing she can do for her long time fur friend....
a dog can not make that decision,the mom makes that dicision....

If it be I grow frail and weak,
and pain should wake me from my sleep,
then you must do what must be done,
for this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
don't let your grief then stay your hand,
for this day, more than the rest,
your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
what is to come will have no fears;
you'd not want me to suffer...so,
when the time comes...please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
but stay with me until the end,
and hold me firm, and speak to me,
until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time, you, too, will see,
it is the kindness you do for me;
although my tail is last waved,
from pain and suffering I've been saved.

Do not grieve that it should be you,
who must decide this thing to do.
We've been so close - we all these years -
don't let your heart hold any tears.
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 4:57am PST 
Thanks for the kind words. I just spoke to my Mom again this morning. I believe that she was waiting for me to give her the go-ahead. She is going to call the vet and take him down. She said she would decide it was the right thing to do every night, then wake up and not have the heart to do it. He no longer is having any good days. I think she will be able to go through with it now because she has my support. Thanks guys for the help. It's nice to have someone to talk to.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 10:10am PST 
hug's to you and your mom. It isn't an easy decision but you are relieving him from suffering - so it's not the wrong decision...flowers
[notify]

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Sat Apr 7, '12 3:35am PST 
hughughughugbig hugbig hugbig hugit will be hard to say goodbey,but it's means you and your mom are good momma's and are there to make the right choices,even if it's the last one...
he will be free from a body that doesn't fit him anymore and he will be free to join all the angels on the bridge
i will greet him when he arrives.hughughughug
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 5:44am PST 
An update for you guys, my Mom and brother took Teido to the vet expecting to have him PTS, but the vet gave her the rest of his Lasik (sp?) medicine. She is giving him a shot daily to see if she can get some of the fluid off of him. They are going to reevaluate him at the end of the week. I skyped with my her and saw him for myself. He definitely does not look good. I'm obviously expecting the worse and feel like they are only prolonging the inevitable, but at least the vet knows what is going on. Thanks again for all the encouragement. It's definitely hard watching your animals get old.frown
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 4:31pm PST 
Teido passed away quietly this morning on his pillow. rainbow We miss him dearly.
[notify]