GO!

Dogs grieving dogs

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

Cody,- Beulah,- Buster &- Wilbur

We Rule!

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 7:37am PST 
Does anyone have any experience or stories of how their pups grieved the loss of one of their siblings? We just lost our Buster Elmer and have 3 other dogs at home (Wilbur, Beulah and Cody). Of the 3, Wilbur is the one who is always watching out for all and I noticed him going outside and howling a bit more than usual. I also mentioned Buster's name and Wilbur immediately perked up and started looking around for him. It broke my heart. I know it's probably a bit different with 2 dogs than 4. Any suggestions on how to handle this? Thanks!
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 8:19am PST 
Scruffy mourned Starr when we had her put to sleep. Anyways, the vet took Starr's collar off and gave it to us. We came home and let Scruffy out of his crate. He started looking for Starr. I let him sniff the collar and he rushed to the door and demanded to go. He never does unless it's a potty emergency and has to go out now. So we leashed him up and took him outside. He rushed up to the car and demanded to get in the car. Something he never has done before. We opened the car door and he jumped in. He sat in the back and his whole mood seemed to change. He sniffed around then laid down. We tried to call him out of the car but he didn't want to come out. We let him sit in the car for a few minutes before we called him out of the car again. He reluctantly got out of the car. If I showed him Starr's collar again and he turned his head away and didn't bother sniffing it again. The rest of the night whenever it was time to go out he'd take me to the car and if I called him away he'd sniff around the car looking for Starr. He moped around for 2 or 3 weeks. We kept his routine the same. We gave him extra attention if he wanted attention. We included him in every day activities that he wasn't usually part of, like walking to the mail box to get the mail. He perked up a little bit when he got to walk to the mail box. We just let him go at his own pace.

Edited by author Sun Jan 8, '12 8:32am PST

[notify]
Alice

I am the Keeper

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 10:02am PST 
when I came to the bridge, my fursib sat by the door and howled the whole time the humans were at work. mom heard his howl when she got out of her car, he almost was without a voice.
after a week, they went and got a puppy.it wasnt quite the same, but at least Frodo was not alone. he aged in that week tho, he was the younger of us, so he went from "the baby" to the "old man"

they have always had more then 1 dog at a time, and yes, all have gone thru a morning time, but not as bad as frodo did for me
[notify]

Darcy

All I need is- Love......

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 5:16pm PST 
Darcy got quieter. She's extremely shy and with no partner to help her she was sinking quick. We tried and American Bulldog pup that was too big and scared the bejesus out of her. Then we found Grunt. He's been our angel! Darcy is better than ever and we owe alot of it to Grunt. She interacts with us and greets me all the time with a waggin tail. I let her smell Turner's shirts and she would just go lay down on the bed. When we got Grunt I stopped letting her smell the shirts - letting her move forward...flowers
[notify]
In loving- memory of- Cinnamon ~

A truly good dog- never really- leaves

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 10:23pm PST 
Our dogs all mourned Cinnamon in their own ways. Meepster took it the hardest. He was always closest to her. He was closer in size to her than the others (even though there were still many pounds apart) other than Lilo and she was always the only one that would rough house with him. After she passed, he would try to rough house with the other dogs and they wouldn't have it. It broke my heart every day. He'd walk around looking so lost and that would just make it hit me all over again. He'd walk around the house, ears down, tail tucked and spent most of his time just lying in the living room, staring. My best advice is to just keep things normal. Let your dogs, all of them, deal with their grief normally, but don't change anything. And if you need to cry (and I know you will), don't be afraid to grab the dogs and mourn with them. I was mostly inconsolable after losing Cinnamon. No matter who tried to hug me, or who told me it would be okay, or who told me it was okay to cry - I wouldn't hug back or listen. The only one that could console me was Sandy. I would sit on my bed every night for months and just cry into her fur. I still do sometimes. But other than that, I didn't change anything. I kept their routines. I fed them at the same time, walked them at the same time, played with them at the same time, and allowed them to grief in their own ways. Don't be afraid to give extra attention. In the end, Meepster got through his grief. It took him longer than the other dogs, but he did. And him and the other dogs helped me through mine. That's one of the reasons I will always have more than one dog. Because they will be there for you when another passes on. I can't imagine going through the grief without them.
[notify]
Alice

I am the Keeper

Barked: Mon Jan 9, '12 3:24am PST 
cinnamon, that is why there is always more then one in this house

noway will I be able to walk in the door to an empty house.
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Mon Jan 9, '12 7:05am PST 
yes they grieve...
when my pitbull had to leave because of a broken up relationship,misty did not eat for a week.
when bull-boy died misty behaved agressive in the dogpark for a couple of days and lotus lost her appetite as well.
and misty had nightmares,because bullie had a heart attack and the dogs saw him dying.
she woke up screaming three times....
so in my idea they grieve just as much as we do.thinkingfrown
[notify]
Cody,- Beulah,- Buster &- Wilbur

We Rule!

Barked: Tue Jan 10, '12 6:48am PST 
Thank you all for sharing your stories of your dogs grieving their siblings.
[notify]
Timmy

Barked: Tue Jan 10, '12 4:19pm PST 
I am so sorry to hear of Busters passing. You did all you could and he was fortunate to live in a home with so much love.

Timmy became very introverted when Maddy died. The other dogs didn't live here when she passed and he definately mourned her. He was much more subdued, too.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.hughughug
[notify]