GO!

put an aggressive dog to sleep? HELP!

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 8 of 15: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  
Baby Bull Dozer

slobber and- slime. Its o.k.

Barked: Tue Aug 15, '06 9:05am PST 
ME TOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
[notify]
Baby Bull Dozer

Barked: Tue Aug 15, '06 9:16am PST 
I don't think anyhone wants to put a dog down. In fact usually people don't want to put there dogs down. Its even very difficult when they are old and in pain. Even then some people wait till there dogs are dragging themselves across the floor and can't hardly get up to go potty. I've seen it. My father would get attached and wait too long. I guess..............I just want others to know If you have tried everything else, It is O.K.
[notify]
Katie

I am the- Dreamsicle-you- may kiss my nose

Barked: Tue Aug 15, '06 12:02pm PST 
I hate to say it but I think Jake's mom might be right in thinking that for everyone's safety he should be put to sleep. If he has bitten before and it is getting worse, then what happens if the next person that sets him off is a small child out playing and Jake slips past mom at the door?

If you know your dog is aggressive and you don't do something to protect people from that dog-you might as well be the one that mauls the kid. Sorry but I am a mother first and a dog lover second. Kids are attacked and terribly injured every day, some die, because people keep giving an aggressive dog another chance. Because it is best for the dog? No, usually because they don't want to lose their pet. I am sorry but my step daughter's friend lost 2 months of school, a chunk of her arm, and her un-scarred face last year for reason's very similar to this.

If you know your dogs aggression is out of control (and biting multiple people is) then you have to think not so much of how you will feel if you put him to sleep but how you would feel if you face a dog bite victim and half to justify why you didn't. Not every aggressive dog can be rehabed. I know this won't be a popular view but my husband is a fire fighter and he worked that little girl's call after she was mauled-he told me that night when they put her on the chopper to medivac her to a children's hospital there was only a 50/50 chance she would live because of blood loss alone. And this was a dog that "snipped at folks but never meant it". Her grandmother lost a chunk of arm trying to save the kid. And it was a dog they knew. The medical bills the family is facing are unreal. The child will never be the same. And now all of her freinds are terrified that the next dog they see will hurt them too.

This is a tough topic. But Jake's mom said she wanted to vent. She said she couldn't see locking him away from the world and still giving him a life. And if the aggresion is due to lack of social skills locking him away won't help any. She also said she feels he is a liability now and she has trouble looking at him the same way. I think if it has gotten to that point, and you know that you can't re-home a dog that is aggressive in most cases (I know someone will disagree with that), then maybe putting him to sleep is for the best. It sounds to me like you have tried to make it work. And there are lots of reason's to put him down and reason's not to. But I do think that keeping a dog who is aggressive is going to keep you pinned in this situation and you aren't going to feel comfortable with Jake-you will always be waiting to see if this is the day he snaps. That will keep you constantly stressed and he will pick up on that and he will be stressed. If I were in your shoes I would put him to sleep.

Sorry if I have offended any other members but this is a touchy subject for me lately-it has been a big issue in our town and for our family. I couldn't convince my husband to adopt a rescue-why, because of this particular attack-he couldn't trust an older dog with the kids. My step daughter is scared of Katie if she play barks and puppy bites now because of what happend-even though Katie is a puppy. And my husband saw the little girl recently and she remembered the whole thing-she told him she saw him on the chopper and he was nice to her. And yes she remembers being mauled. So I just can't agree that all agressive dogs should be given chance after chance. There has to be a limit-for everyone's safety.
Katie's mom
[notify]

Thomas- Pickles

Who, me?

Barked: Tue Aug 15, '06 1:09pm PST 
I do agree that truely aggressive dogs should be put down, but do we know for sure that Jake is actually aggressive, or was he provoked/thought he had a good reason to bite? By that, I mean did he think he was protecting his owner? Again, my two sense is that Jake should be given the opportunity to work with a trainer before sending him to death row. We wouldn't just give up on a child who was unruly without first trying to find out why the child acted out. Where's Cesar Milan when you need him?!
[notify]
tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Tue Aug 15, '06 1:26pm PST 
Dominant dogs are dogs that have problems with pack and rank issues.
Owners of dominant dogs don't have an option, they must learn to become pack leaders.
The main cause of dominance in dogs is a lack of leadership in the family pack.

From the dog whisperer:
Of all the cases shown on the Dog Whisperer, what percentage has successfully been rehabilitated? Will there be episodes revisiting past cases to see how those dogs are doing?
We have done the revisiting part and 99 percent of them are rehabilitated … (see photos of some of Millan's four-legged clients).
Again, we work with rock-bottom cases, so those people are already in a very desperate need. When they see that it's possible—and other people have shown them no possibilities—they're going to stick to it, because they obviously love their dogs.
When I go and work with people I never say, Your dog is changed for the rest of its life. It's like a diet. You've got to maintain a discipline and ritual in your life to keep a certain figure. It's the same thing with a [dog's] mental behavior.
[notify]
Baby Bull Dozer

Barked: Tue Aug 15, '06 10:24pm PST 
The dog whisperer is a special person. But , You have to find someone where you live that is as good as he is.
Katies mom is so right. People are more important than dogs. So many people want to compare thier dogs to children . I know that we love our animals. That is a good thing but , we need to know where to draw the line and that is the hard part. Different for everyone. I think that people that see these dog bites first hand and how serious they can be tend to be more for putting the dog down.
I bought something on ebay and we never recieved it. I emailed the person I bought it from and she said her son had been bitten in the face by a dog. She sent me a photo. I was shocked at the damage that this lab did to his mouth with just one bite. It probably won't heal correctly and leave a bad scar. ( This just 2 days ago)
If he was my dog I would put him down. I would not risk another child or person being scarred.
[notify]
Raja Sarabi 96-07

I am the- smallest but- still the ALPHA

Barked: Tue Aug 15, '06 10:49pm PST 
This is Raja. See the picture. She is our alpha. She is very dominant. She keeps all the other dogs in line. She is 10 and has never bitten anyone. We have had to put her in her place many times. I have and my husband has. But I know my dog.. She would never bite. ... Then I have Dozer and Bailey. Dozer is the easiest going dog there is. He would never bite. Then comes Bailey >>>>>>>>>>>> The lowest on the totem pole. I don't know why but her hair stands up when certain people come in,,,She just recently growled at someone ... It was not like when Raja growls. I let her know it was not O.K. and she got sent out. But we have been working with her and when we walk her she is afraid of bikes, skateboards etc.. She doesn't like certain other people or other dogs. She does adore our kids and there friends but it is very stressful because we have to be extra careful that she doesn't get out. She has chased 2 samoyeds down the street when we opened the door and she drug a picnic table with a very thick dog cable through the sand to get to another dog. It was her collar that finally broke. She did stop when I yelled at her to stop but not till after she scared the bejeebees put of the owners of the puppy. She can't be trusted. She weighs about 150 lbs. But I feel like we are great dog owners and have tried almost everything. We raised 2 rottwiellers to 10 yrs each and handled all the issues thrown our way. Even when they were dominance issues. .. What I am trying to say is that all dogs are so different and is it possible that there could be those dogs out there that just have a personality that we may not be able to change. Bailey is like some of these other dogs. Many of the people on this site think that these issues are dominance issues but Bailey is headed that way and she is definitely not the dominant dog by any means. Gosh I should start my own post so I can get advice on my Bailey. Does anyone know when that show the whisperer comes on and what channel in southern calif? maybe he has some advice for me. If Bailey ever got so out of control that she bit someone I would put her down. I hope that doesn't make me seem like a monster.
[notify]
Romeo NPC

Prince Charming

Barked: Wed Aug 16, '06 8:10am PST 
I hope that with whatever you choose it's the best for you and your family. But I don't think you should have Jake put down. There is always a reason for an action or reaction and as his mum you need to find out what it is and correct it. It can be done. Don't give up on the guy... I see there are many who suggested a muzzle.. if need be.. work with a muzzle until you can pinpoint what is sparking his behaviors.

Safety is always an issue BUT anyone can work around this. Have you considered perhaps re-homing him? Interview until you find a responsiable, educated adult that is willing to work with Jake on his problems. These situations are always so terriably hard. I am SO sorry you have to go through this.. I Really am. I hope that the outcome is good for you and your's. Good luck.
[notify]
Flash - 6/15/95-12/1- 6/01

I think I am- single

Barked: Wed Aug 16, '06 8:21am PST 
I don't agree with Jake being PTS. Whenever something goes wrong, that's the first thing that people jump to. Beit aggression or whatnot. GR has food aggression. He's also gone after Jack a couple of times and has bitten me and my room mate. We're not putting him down.

Jake deserves to have other avenues tried BEFORE making that final decision, because once it's made, Jake will be gone FOREVER. There will be no bringing him back. Think long and hard before you make a decision.
[notify]
Thomas- Pickles

Who, me?

Barked: Wed Aug 16, '06 9:38am PST 
Just want to add my two sense (againsmile about something that was said. We as dog owners should never assume our dog(s) will not bite. This is a dangerous assumption to make. My Nina is an absolute sweetheart and has never bitten anyone, but I will never make the assumption that she never will. There may be a time when the circumstances are different and for whatever reason, she feels the need to do so. Yes, they are our pets, but keep in mind they are still animals capable of causing great harm if they want to.

Edited by author Wed Aug 16, '06 9:41am PST

[notify]
  (Page 8 of 15: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15