GO!

put an aggressive dog to sleep? HELP!

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 6 of 15: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  
tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Fri Aug 11, '06 9:51am PST 
The fact is no dog can be trusted 100%. They may be cute and fuzy but they are still animals. You should never leave a dog unattended with small children. So if no dog can be trusted and we all could be sued than I guess we should all put are dogs down.
[notify]
Baby Bull Dozer

slobber and- slime. Its o.k.

Barked: Fri Aug 11, '06 10:14am PST 
No, we shouldn't all put our dogs down. You missed the point completely. But please tell me what would you do if it was your child that had been bitten or mauled? Then would you want him put down. I guess we should wait until it happens and then worry about it. Very good idea. The point is we as dog owners have a responsibility . She is being responsible. I have to tell you if your dog bit one of my kids and you knew it had happened before, it would be your fault not the dogs.
[notify]
Angus - 2/22/02 - 11/21/06

Wubba Wubba Woo- Woo

Barked: Fri Aug 11, '06 10:18am PST 
I agree with Baby Bulldozer.
[notify]

Baby Bull Dozer

Barked: Fri Aug 11, '06 10:52am PST 
Thankyou Angus. I'm glad You understand my point. And , By the way you are a beautiful Boy.
[notify]
Baby Bull Dozer

Barked: Fri Aug 11, '06 10:54am PST 
We should be pals!!!!
[notify]
Cypress

hey, look at me,- look at me!!!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 11, '06 11:14am PST 
All of these responses from everyone have all shared valid points. However I just wanted to add my suggestions. I do not think you should put your dog to sleep. There are many classes and one on one training sessions that can help create a better state of mind for your dog while teaching you how to have better control. Just look for dog trainer in you area. You can Also watch the "Dog Whisperer." Although I am not sure if it airs where you are at. If so watch it, there might be many helpful tips for you. Along with reading his book Cesars Way. The thing is with your situation is their is a lack of leadership within your home, and your dog feels that he is the pack leader therefore when you say he "protects" you, he is actually dominating you, and that is not a good thing. You need to establish your self as the leader. You will probably need to start with the basics of cesars philiospohy and work from there. You can also write cesar through his chat room, just go to his web site, I dont know the actual website, however just do a google search for cesar milan. At designated times he will answer peoples questions online.
I used all of these techniques and my dog has really come a long way. Hope that helps!! Good luck.
[notify]
Prince

Snuggleupandkiss

Barked: Fri Aug 11, '06 12:19pm PST 
I have my issues too... I like to run after people and i have nipped mom and one of her friends so mom has to be so careful... I'm not sure why I am bad with some people and not with others. Mom bought a muzzle and we used it for a couple of weeks on walks... then switched to a halty ( gentle lead) I like it better than the muzzle... and if I pull or go to run it tighens around my nose. Mom leaves it on me when I am off leash, I am discouraged by it and much better behaved.

Don't put your baby down...try a cage muzzle, or a soft muzzle with mesh sides. They don't hurt but they sure tune you in, in a hurry. maybe one day you can graduate to a halty... but a muzzle is a good place to start, also a good behaviourist should be able to help...

Just don't give up.
[notify]
In memory- of a special- Dozer

Dozer - Just love me

Barked: Fri Aug 11, '06 12:41pm PST 
What about us that can't afford A trainer or behaviourist? What do we do? I agree to do all you can but honestly not ever can afford training and such, that is just a fact of life. So what do we do??
[notify]
BOUGIE

I love hugs!!

Barked: Fri Aug 11, '06 1:24pm PST 
Maybe you should look into working with a trainer. It sounds like maybe your dog is trying to protect you. This may sound backwards, but you may want to look into attack training. Dogs gain a great deal of confidence from this kind of training. They learn what is a real threat and what is not. They also learn to only attack on command.
I hope this helps you.
[notify]
Prince

Snuggleupandkiss

Barked: Fri Aug 11, '06 4:26pm PST 
Well if you can't afford a behaviourist... I know they are expensive try reading some books on the subject, Mom read lots of them and internet pages too, with me it's a confidence problem... so building my confidence is helping, also having mom ensure I know she us Alpha makes my life easier too. MOm was lucky, the Humane society here has behaviourist that you can call and they call you back and talk with you free of charge, to try to prevent animals being turned in if it's something they can help with.

I still like the muzzle idea... It's relatively cheap and it solves the bite issue. But not the dogs phycological problem.

Mom was bitten as a child and the dog wasn't put down. Kids use to ride their bikes by and throw rocks at him... mom never did that but the dog figured all kids were the same, Sad really. They muzzled the dog after that and he was fine. He never went over the fence again, yet he would play hide and seek with us kids and his owner...
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 15: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15