GO!

put an aggressive dog to sleep? HELP!

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 4 of 15: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  
Roland

Cuddle me

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 1:39pm PST 
I had a dog I dearly loved as a kid. She was a beautiful border collie, named Lady. I loved her and played with her (I was in the 3rd grade). But, she bit 4 people.. mostly my little friends. The first few bits were not serious and no one was really hurt, but the last bite was a full attack on a 3rd grader girl's face, who was just standing nearby. In her case, she was never abused or mistreated or anything. The vet found a brain tumor and it was best for her that she was put down.

There could easily be a medical reason for your pup's behavior, even something treatable. My heart goes out to you and your dog. I wish the best for both of you. And it's fine to vent here, you're clearly torn on this. Take some time whatever you do, don't rush into any decision.
[notify]
In memory- of a special- Dozer

Dozer - Just love me

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 3:07pm PST 
I know this is a hard decision, I too am going threw it.
I do not agree with rehomeing an aggressive dog, that is not fair to anyone. The dog will still bite. If the dog goes to a shelter it most likely will not be put up for adoption due to it's aggression.
Not all aggressive dogs can be helped and in that case the most loveing thing an owner can do is hold the dog in their loveing arms while the dog is sent to the bridge and relieved of it's demons.
This is just my opinion and not ment to offend anyone.
My thoughts and prayers go out to Jakes mom, it is a hard decision to have to make.
[notify]
Samuel Jacob- (4/1/97-4/4/- 08)

We had seasons- in the sun......

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 3:30pm PST 
Dozer,
That was very well said... and I agree with you.

If all else fails, send the baby to the bridge in the arms of someone they love...

Zoey

Zoey - Brats are us

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 5:43pm PST 
If you read my web page, you'll learn my story, I had to protect my kids and the law enforcement, animal shelter, and vet told me to put him down due to my beloved biting my kids and the neighbor kids. He tried to attack anyone that came to the front door. I tried to call a rescue to help but all my messages and phone call went unanswered. I regret as do my kids for putting him down. Of course my kids don't know, they think i took him to the farm otherwise they would hate me. So sorry for the pain you are going through.
[notify]
Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 7:21pm PST 
Well if everyone gave up on " aggressive doggies" right away... I wouldn't be here. Because of the treatment I got for the first years of my life I was aggressive. My mom got me the day before I was to be killed. Now I am a gentle, loving ( sometimes pushy ) fun to be around doggie. I agree that not all aggressive doggies can be retrained but people have to look at all factors before making that final call. Is the dog
sick ( tumor or injured in some way that is unseen )
formerly abused
abused now and not known
not trained properly
not enough training
ignored/ jealous of new baby or pet
less attention
There are so many factors and the doggie deserves a chance to find out why it is acting this way. Get the medical assessment done first and go from there. Maybe all he needs is a professional trainer and the training of the owners along with keeping up the training.
My mommy adopts hard to place abused doggies. They take alot of work. She has also had them from puppies and most can be retrained but it has to be consistant and positive. Most aggressive dogs do have some medical or abuse as the underlying problem. Please give this dog a chance and have him checked...if no medical is there...then try training with a pro. give it a real try... it won't happen overnight.
[notify]
Makia- 1996-2008

The big, The bad- and the- Beautiful

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 10:06pm PST 
I had a Boxer that was very unpredictable also. I knew in my heart she would bite somebody one day and she did. First she went after one of my daughters friends for no reason than one day we had friends over and the dogs were out. As they were getting ready to leave my husband let the dogs in. Before we knew it our friends little girl ran up to Missy our Boxer who turned around and bit the little girl in the face. She had stitches and a pretty black and blue face. It was a very bad bite. Anyway, I knew at that point something had to be done. This happened on a Friday and we had Missy put to sleep on Monday. It was by far the hardest thing I have ever done (I cried a whole bunch also) but I knew my dog and she would do it again.We had discussed her aggression with our vet and he found her fine physically, she just did not like anybody but me and she tolerated my husband. Our insurance covered the hospital bill but said thats it, if she bites anyone again we were not covered. If we had felt this was an isolated incident than we would not have made the choice to have her euthanized and I know there are many dog lovers on here that would disagree with our choice but we did what we thought was right. We have four dogs now and I am passionate about my dogs and love them very much. You know your dog better than any of us, you have the best rapport with him, so what ever decision you make will be the right one. We don't even know each other but I really feel bad for you, as it is a very hard decision to make. Good luck.
Makia's mom Karen

Edited by author Tue Aug 8, '06 10:24pm PST

[notify]
Samson

Biscuit Hunter

Barked: Wed Aug 9, '06 6:27am PST 
I am so sorry you are having to deal with this and hope you have peace about whatever decision you make. As for Makia and some others, I commend you for being brave enough to make the decisions you did and then to post them when it seems no one else understands your position. It's easy to say train them, but I do want to say if you have children in your home or ones who are visit alot, to be very careful about making the decision to keep an aggressive dog. I did take an aggressive dog I had adopted to the no kill Shelter and they listed him a dog that was not to be around children. This dog out of nowhere bit my beautiful daughters face and sliced it open. I would not keep him a day longer, my daughter and son where too precious to take chances. You can live with regret after you make the decision to take a dog from your home, but how do you know that if you left him, it might of been worse the next time? We don't.
[notify]
Samuel Jacob- (4/1/97-4/4/- 08)

We had seasons- in the sun......

Barked: Wed Aug 9, '06 8:53am PST 
There is also the fact if you know your dog may bite, you can be sued. Someone I know is being sued for $300,000 for their own grandson having been bitten by their dog. Of course, the dog was cornered by the 3 year old, and being poked with a metal form stake... Who can blame the dog? The parents did.

Like I said before, if all ELSE fails... If you have tried the training, behaviorists, and muzzles... and still you have no luck... then maybe it is time.

I do wonder what the vet said. I personally p-mailed Jake's human, but haven't received a response. I wonder if she feels too judged. She wanted input, not anger.

Jake's Mom... please, write to us. We would really be interested in what your vet said.
Dino ~- 5/3/96 - 1/19/06

Dean Dean the- Human Eatin- Machine

Barked: Wed Aug 9, '06 1:59pm PST 
This is tough for sure. The thing I would most worry about is if he got out when you weren't home and mauled a child. Does he escape? My Dino bit one person because she was mean looking and jealous of a new pup we had. Fortunately, the lady was so understanding and did not press charges. He never did it again but I was concerned there for awhile. I hope you come to the decision that feels right for you. Best weishes.
[notify]
In memory- of a special- Dozer

Dozer - Just love me

Barked: Wed Aug 9, '06 2:42pm PST 
Dozers mom here, I am an animal lover but I say the safety of people has to come first. It is all ways in the news about dogs who attack. The very sad truth is not all aggressive dogs can be helped. Also the ones who can be helped, it don't happen over night so if you have a child and an aggressive dog what do you do??? I agree do all you can but I want to add that human safety does have to be considered. It is great to give advice and suggestions but let's not make some feel so guilty that they keep a dangerius dog that can't be helped. I've seen just that happen before, the owner was going to put the dog down, people made her feel guilty for it so she keep the dog to help him and her child payed the price for it in the end. And the dog ended up shot. So yes please give ideas but please all ways remember safety has to come first.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 15: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15