GO!

put an aggressive dog to sleep? HELP!

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 12 of 15: Viewing entries 111 to 120)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  
J P

A DOG is for- LIFE.

Barked: Thu Oct 5, '06 12:38pm PST 
I come back to this thread on occasion to see if there is new news on Jake. I am glad he found a home. As well I am a dog lover who has had the experience of being attacked, unprovoked, by two dogs. The only thing that saved me was they were only 40 pounds, and my husband was close. I see all dogs differently now. This experience has left me very standoffish and careful, and knowing the threat, I watch my children extremely closely as well.

To Jakes old owner. I think that you had an incredibly difficult decision to make, and considering putting Jake down was very responsible. I trust that you are confident that with his new owner he will be managed in a way that makes him safe. Not everybody can find someone who can manage a dog like this, and to those people, the decision to euthanize is not cruel, it just may just be the only one left.
[notify]
lucky

Barked: Sat Oct 7, '06 7:24pm PST 
I am happy he's found a safe home.

Edited by author Sat Oct 7, '06 7:28pm PST

[notify]
Jake

Don't worry,- I'll protect- you!!

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 6:08pm PST 
Hello pups..

Thanks again to everyone for their words of understanding and sympathies.

Jake is doing well in his new home. I'm good friends with his new daddy who runs the rescue, so I still see him every couple days, and so does Tink. So far it's been working for everyone.

To see Jake and all his adoptable brothers and sisters go to www.localdogrescue.com and watch the videos. smile you might even see me and Tink. hehe

Again.. thank you everyone. Take care!
[notify]

Peaches- Louise

Pet me! Pet me!

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 9:27am PST 
Hello!
Your story (I read through the thread) was tough to read. My mom in law went though the same thing with her dog five years ago. She had Annie put down, and has regretted it ever since. Annie was a 101lb dane rott mix, and was always sweet. Mom found Annie at a towing impound lot. The owner said his rott mix had had pups for the third time, and he was through. He was planning to put down the mama and the whole litter. Mom rescued one pup, and found homes for two others. Annie was sweet until my son was born. Annie got jealous of the new baby, and so mom had to crate Annie whenever we visited. Then mom got a new puppy, and Annie started attacking the puppy. It sort of went downhill from there. Annie started biting for no reason, would bite strangers, attack other animals, and once bit Mom so bad she needed stitches in her arm and leg. She became terrified that Annie would attack Jacob, my son. After many tears, she put Annie to sleep. To this day, Mom cries when she thinks about it. She thinks she could have done something else. Every situation is different, of course, but I'm glad to see you didn't put your guy down. You'd always wonder "What if?" So good for you. I hope everything continues to work out for the best.
[notify]
----Jordan--- --

Sweet & gentle- rabble rouser

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 10:33am PST 
I didn't read completely through this thread to see if the idea was brought up but have to wonder in this day and age if a medication would help .. dogs are sometimes prescribed the human version of Prozac. There are people who have erratic mental / emotional states similar to what Jake must be experiencing to 'suddenly go off' like that and they find their way through via meds...Meds and a muzzle and conditioning training might work.
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 1:02pm PST 
Oh, Jake!! I'm so happy for you!

I did try to see your video, but it didn't work.

I'm really proud of your Mommy for doing all she could for you.

To Mommy,
Don't forget, you can add that link to his adoption page on Jake's bio!

If you need help doing that, just let me know. I'm happy to help!

Take care!

The Roo Crew
Chico Boy~

I love Sunny!

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 3:07pm PST 
wow...now if we could only find a home.....
[notify]
Kato

If Its Yours Its- MINE

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '08 5:41pm PST 
Hi there,
other then putting him on whats called the
"nothing in life is free" plan and muzzling him on outting's.
as you say he is unpridictable.

sorry but i believe big or small if a dog is aggressive and where
your dog ALREADY has a bite history i think its best to muzzle him
before he goes after a child or another animal.

"nothing in life is free" is;
- sitting and waiting politly before eatting
- sitting and waiting politly before getting ANY attention
- food is NOT left down; give him 20-30mins to eat and
remove the food dish.
- NOT being allowed on couchs, human beds, or
jumpping on people without being asked to do so.
- YOU exit and enter the house and room BEFORE the dog
- DO NOT walk around or over the dog MAKE him move out
of your way (command; move or which ever you choose)

this is a start hope this helps
[notify]
Zelda

I solemnly swear- that I'm up to- no good

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '08 1:54pm PST 
I know I'm late to this post. But I've been there. Granted, I was a little kid, but my family had to have a dog put down because she was aggressive. I can honestly say that unless you've been there you have NO IDEA. And even if you have, what worked for you may not work for another. All dogs are different, have different problems, and different needs. All owners too.

We rescued Maggie from a university testing facility. Her mother had been brought in for something, and when they discovered she was preggers they let her have the puppies and adopted them out. My dad worked there so we got one.

Having been born in that environment, there were always things about her that seemed off. I don't remember everything, but what sticks with me is that when she ate she would lie with her front legs wrapped around the bowl, like someone was going to take it away.

She was fine around us, but as she got older she became extremely aggressive around outsiders. There were two little girls living next door and we were scared she would hurt them. She actually did bite a friend of my brother's.

We tried training. She went to obedience class, the whole bit. Eventually, she got so bad we had to have her put down.

It was hard, but it was the right thing to do. For us, and for her.

Like I said, every dog, every person and every situation is different.
[notify]
Gazda

Stop BSL

Barked: Sat Mar 8, '08 9:18pm PST 
I know this is a bit late but I want to address Summers story. Bringing a problematic dog back to a shelter is NEVER a good idea. I know you say maybe someone else will give him a chance. But that won't happen. What will happen is either the aggression will get worse from being BACk in the shelter again (Which is not an environment to calm any dog down) and if he is lucky enough to get adopted and the next people are like Summers parents and are not willing to do anything to help him then THEY might put him down anyway! So how are you helping the situation? Part of the reason so many dogs have problems is because they are tossed around, many in and out of adopted homes because no one wants to take the time to work with them. How do you figure a dog is going to learn anything if you don't take the time to teach them. If your kid comes out with behavioral problems, do you put the kid up for adoption? NO you don't! So why do that to a dog! They have already had a tough life and are not EVER going to learn anything unless they are tought. So right now that dog only knows that when he bites he gets put back at the shelter! This is why so many problematic dogs are put to sleep because ALOT of people don't want to spend the time to help them or find someone else who will. A rescue organization would have been MUCH better. They could have helped with rehabilitating his aggression issues and socialization with people and other dogs! Giving up is never the answer and it makes me so furious when that is what people do. They get dogs then when they learn they are going to take work, being its a puppy who is learning to be house trained, or a dog that barks because it spends all day outside tie to a 4 ft leash on a dog house (duh of course they are going to bark!) or a dog that was abused, somehow made it to a shelter, adopted then sent back to the place they came. You might have well put him down. At least he wouldn't be tossed around anymore! I wish there were more people out there that would dedicate the time and effort to help rehabilitate these dogs instead of giving up so soon!
PS: Just to all those other dog owners who say You have to be there, No you don't. If you learn and are around dogs enough then you learn you DON'T give up on them! It's just wrong! If you can't teach them give them a chance to be taught by someone else and returning to a shelter is not the answer. I learned my lesson thats why Im passing it along to others.

One more story then I'm done ranting. My ex husband and I got three dogs while we were together. When he left me he took Lexi. She was the dominant between the three. Well after a year I took her back due to circumstances that he couldn't keep her anymore to find her a new home. It had been so long since she was with my other 2 dogs Athens had become the dominant female. Lexi was challenging this. They got into several fights, even wound up accidentally nipping my arm one day. Long story short, I brought her back to the shelter I got her from in TEARS! With help from my dad and a rescue worker, I got her back. When My dad called the shelter he did just in time because she of course got scared cause she was in a situation unfamiliar to her. She did just what I knew she would do. She didn't like black men, and of course shelter workers with gloves scared her too i imagine. She growled and so they had put her in isolation to be put down. When I went to pick her up the shelter worker had ME go back to get her because she was growling at the lady. Of course the minute she saw me she was all licks and loving, tail wagging. I found a terrific man who found her a fabulous new loving home. She is a great dog, just needed to be the only one in a family. The whole thing broke my heart and still today makes me sad. But I know now why you don't bring dogs back to shelters, because if they already have problems bringing them back will just make them worse!

Edited by author Sat Mar 8, '08 9:25pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 12 of 15: Viewing entries 111 to 120)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15