GO!

Adding a new breed

Are you a fan of Dogster? Share what you love best about the most pawsome dog site ever! We woof you right back!

If you would like to request a new feature or enhancement for the site, please contact Dogster Support by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sabrina

American Bully- Love

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 6:04pm PST 
Yes, I have an American Bully and I hate saying that she's an American Pitbull Terrier when she's not. I know that some of you may not have heard of American Bullies, but they do exist. They've been around for about 25 years now, since they have their own kennel club and are accepted by some kennel clubs, I think that they desrve to be reconized on here as a breed.

If you google the breed, not all American Bullies look like the dogs they have posted. They actually come in many diffrent sizes, just like a poodle.
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Sun Mar 6, '11 3:32pm PST 
Sabrina, none of the major clubs accept the american bully as a breed, in fact, the clubs that have accepted them are bully clubs that have been developed around them. I read this also...

"Contrary to misleading information being passed on the social networking websites , it has been confirmed by FCI and AKC Officials that there is no agreement between the AKC (American Kennel Club) , the FCI (Fédération Cynologique Internationale ) and the privately owned business registry, The ABKC (American Bully Kennel Club). The ABKC has no agreement with any international government or authority. The ABKC does not hold 'ownership' or 'patent' on the American Bully Breed or name. The FCI (Fédération Cynologique Internationale ) does not recognize the American Bully Breed. The ABKC does not have any agreements which involve any protection of the breed in countries which have active BSL (Breed Specific Legislations)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bully
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 6:57pm PST 
I support adding the American Bully, considering it's been around for 25years+, and is so different from the breed(s) it was put into. Plus, they aren't pit bulls, but their own thing.
[notify]

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 9:58am PST 
Not a lot of kennel clubs accept them (can you tell me which ones do though?). Coming in different sizes is not just like poodles -- they are separated into 3 separate breeds with written standards...Toy, Miniature, and Standard. Not quite the same thing. I see on ABKC the sizes are called things like "Pocket", "XL", and "Extreme".... confused Those naming schemes are a BYB's dream. Overall I'm not real impressed with the 'kennel club' for this 'breed'. I see they also list other 'breeds' like the "Shorty Bull". I think if they want to be taken seriously they ought to show what breeds these dogs are being sourced from, what they are doing to create a purebred, and not name them these silly-sounding marketing-type names. JMHO.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 1:29pm PST 
I don't know much about them, just from an overview I'd consider them a legitimate breed, but I'm pretty sure Dogster's list is taken from AKC-recognized breeds.

Come to think of it, however, it might be useful to have - rather than breed-specific forums some of which have absolutely no posts at all or very, very, few - forums separated out into the AKC groups? Just a thought I guess.
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 9:47pm PST 
kolbe: there are lots of rare/uncommon breeds that dogster has included. ambullies are sosososososo common, and so frequently confused with pit bulls, that they should have their own section so as to educate people that they are not the same. smile
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 5:04pm PST 
OK, but how is this a breed again? How has it been established? Sorry, I have just not been entirely convinced of the credibility of this breed, not that it is "rare". Please re-read my previous post and look at the points I brought up again. It has nothing to do with being "rare". There are "soooo many" Goldendoodles too, but I don't think that's a valid point for adding them as a breed on Dogster. See what I'm saying?

Edited by author Sun Mar 20, '11 5:05pm PST

[notify]
Lucky, NTD

Novice trick- dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 18, '11 5:09pm PST 
Personally, I disagree. The American Bully is not recognized by the American Kennel Club, the Fédération Cynologique Internationale, or the United Kennel Club. The American is a designer dog--a mix between Neapolitan Mastiff, Bulldogs, American Pit Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Mastiff, etc. They are sort of like Cockapoos, Labradoodles and Shnoodles--none of which are breeds on Dogster.

If you want, you can put Breed Unknown on your Sabrina's page and tell about her being an Ameican Bully in her bio. wishes

Edited by author Mon Apr 18, '11 5:12pm PST

[notify]
Kraka

Are you going to- eat that- cat-food?

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 9:39pm PST 
I'm fairly sure our Kraka is an American Bully, I made him a pitbull/staffy cross but I'm fairly certain that is what he is?? I've never been sure. We've always just called him a pittie but his head is far to humungous for that. If that breed was added then I'd probably change it to that.
[notify]
In loving- memory of- Lilo

Support bully- love. Ban BSL.

Barked: Wed Apr 27, '11 1:04am PST 
Regarding other kennel clubs recognizing them, are you sure you're not confusing the American Bulldog with the "American bully"? It might also be why you're thinking they come in various shapes and sizes? It's an honest mistake that is made quite often. Since the names sound so similar, people often confuse the two and/or think they're interchangeable when, really, they're completely different.

I'm not sure I support the American bully being recognized as a breed. I wouldn't mind it being added to the list of Dogster breeds, however. I don't see what adding the American bully would hurt. It would curb confusion between the Am Bully, the American bulldog, and the American pit bull terrier.

ETA: Basically, I agree with both Kolbe and Hershey. If that's... possible? I don't think they are a breed and often wonder about the ethics of breeding such dogs, but I don't see the harm in adding them on Dogster.

ETAA: Kraka, personally, I'd guess Staffordshire bull terrier if I had to take a guess.

Edited by author Wed Apr 27, '11 1:10am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2