GO!

The perceptions towards those who are low income dog owners...

Are you a fan of Dogster? Share what you love best about the most pawsome dog site ever! We woof you right back!

If you would like to request a new feature or enhancement for the site, please contact Dogster Support by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster.

(Page 9 of 10: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Moxie

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 2:18pm PST 
I firmly believe that when times are tough a quality meal can be taken out of fridge in the way of leftovers and I route around in the green bin for scraps sometimes too. Vit/Min supp would be cheap... dogs are versatile and the way explained... even cheaper than stuff like Old Roy because I was going to throw it out anyways big grin. I am pretty sure I see Old Roy out goign through my garbage at night anyways BOL!!!
[notify]
Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 5:50pm PST 
I think there is a difference in the kinds of people. Like other posters have said it doesn't so matter so much how much money you make, it matters what you do with it. A low income owner can be just as amazing as someone with a high income.

I am sixteen, and own two dogs. I pay for everything they get, from their food (raw) to their vet bills to their treats and toys. I have a job, work hard, walk them everyday, and in return they are my faithful companions. They are wonderful, absolutely amazing friends who brighten up my day. I really don't think it matters what sort of income you have, so much as you love your dogs and are doing the best you can to give them a full life, and do what is best for them.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 6:59pm PST 
I think anyone who joins dogster and takes the time to express their concerns or tell their tale... has the dogs best intentions within them. No matter what their tax bracket way to go
[notify]

Abby

Abby -

Barked: Fri Feb 25, '11 12:24pm PST 
Income doesn't mean anything to a dog anyway. We live near an area where a lot of homeless people panhandle, many of them with dogs in tow. Most of the dogs look healthier than the people and they are obviously loved. I've also seen a person arrive at an agility class in a Mercedes and let her dog out of the TRUNK shock of her car because she didn't want her car to get dirty!! Being loved and well-cared for is what matters.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 1:21pm PST 
I agree it isn't the money but what a dog owner does with what they have that matters. The ones that get me are the ones with a low to moderate income that use that as an excuse not to provide properly for their animals yet do not see it as wrong to have an animal you are unwilling ot care for properly.

The ones with multiple dogs that have no training, eat the cheapest possible food,or table scraps and my trash, have never seen a vet, run the neighborhood and sleep on the "owner's" porch. And the ones that could afford it, but don't think the dog is worth anymore than cheap food and a name. "It's just a dog, he'll get over it." when a vet is in order.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Mar 16, '11 1:15am PST 
"Income doesn't mean anything to a dog anyway."

So true, Abby! A dog doesn't care if he lives in a tent or a palace, as long as he's with his people. I don't have a lot of cash in the kitty either, to be honest, but I care for my dog the best I can. He eats supermarket kibble and supermarket dog food, because that's the best I can afford. I saw a post once where someone was saying she wanted to scream at people who put cheap dog food through her register at the store she worked at and it made me feel just horrible. She said the food was purina one and that made me feel even worse. I can't even afford purina. Jack was going to be shot at the farm I saved him from. Shot. Better alive eating homebrand kibble than six feet under, I say. Damn, I think about that post every time I buy dog food now. frown People should think before they write sometimes. I love my dog, he's my companion and my friend. I may be dirt poor but that doesn't mean I haven't got the love and dedication to care for my pet.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Wed Mar 16, '11 2:39pm PST 
Jackson, you are the kind of owner I'd be proud to call mine were I a dog. I might get "super value" kibble but, I bet I'd get a vet, a few good toys and tons of love and playing with my human.

Like I said I only have a problem with those that use low income as an excuse not to vet, train, or even keep the dog at home or under their supervision at all.

Sure I've been there, the part time, minimum wage job because it's all I could find at the time while having a dog. Yes that dog ate the cheapest kibble, but got a portion of what I could buy with food stamps at the time as well and, she did have a regular vet, heart worm meds, and such.

As You pointed out, better that with love than dead. My beef is currently with a neighbor in particular. Okay so they are fixed income (1500/month) but they live Scott free on their son's place in a trailer so no utility bills, no rent. Still their dog has mange (whole belly and most of head bald and scabby), is under weight, runs the neighborhood, and might get a small bag of Ol' Roy a week aside from scraps and whatever trash it gets into. Their whole reason for not doing better "The vet wants 35.00 to look at her. We can't afford that on Social Security."

Yet offer to take the dog in and care for it and it's "Oh no, I could never give up my baby, you touch her and I will have you arrested." Their son's OEBD lives on a chain in the yard because he's too expensive to let run, a car might hit him or another not so dog loving neighbor might shoot him. Yet he is on the chain because he destroys the house and, that is because he was never trained and is never played with , walked or done anything to except yelled at to be quiet. Again, money is the excuse for not doing a thing for the dog.

Those are the low income sort I have a problem with. Now those that do all the can given what they have, I have no problem with - that's all anyone can do.
[notify]
Samson

What a long- strange trip- it's been.

Barked: Wed Mar 16, '11 6:58pm PST 
I do not have a problem with low income families owning pets...I do have a problem when anyone gets a pet that they can't or refuse to get proper & basic care for...Or those who have every gadget & video gaming system known to man but can't buy their dogs a decent food...Animals can't care for themselves so we need to make sure that we are willing/able to before we take them in!
eta: I've been both low income & comfortable so I can see both sides...I did wait to get dogs until we were comfortable enough to afford them though.

Edited by author Wed Mar 16, '11 7:07pm PST

[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 9:43pm PST 
One of the saddest stories here was someone who had to give up their dogs due to being homeless. I think it is a good thing to help people so they could get thru such events with their pets. It would also help the people cope better.

--des
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 9:48pm PST 
That's just horrible to hear about your neighbour, Halo, really upsetting. It shouldn't be about income, it should be about willingness to make a proper place for your dog in your life, to give him all the things he deserves; food, shelter, proper vet care, affection and love. There are people who just keep their dogs on chains or let them wander free eating their dog food out of the bag (well at least they have food) in my town and I wonder why in the blue hell do they even want a dog. The guy who lives behind me claims his rottie on the chain is just for 'guarding'. Buy a god damn security system, you imbecile! Sometimes the poor thing can't even reach the bag of kibble it has to serve itself from, I see it straining frantically toward the bag because one of their other wandering, free dogs they have has dragged it off. Some people make me just sick.
[notify]
  (Page 9 of 10: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10