GO!

The perceptions towards those who are low income dog owners...

Are you a fan of Dogster? Share what you love best about the most pawsome dog site ever! We woof you right back!

If you would like to request a new feature or enhancement for the site, please contact Dogster Support by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster.

(Page 5 of 10: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 28, '10 11:22am PST 
Nero, you make a great point. If a person is motivated enough to log in here, find the right forum, post their question...they are trying to get some information to help them care for their dog...way more often than not their heart is in the right place. They are at least trying to educate themselves about an issue. It makes me sad to see them scared off.

The majority of dogster posters so far have been very helpful and kind to me. But I will admit that I've come across some strong responses and thought "I hope that wasn't a ten year old that just got bashed"...because the young ones are on here, too.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Apr 28, '10 1:24pm PST 
I agree with Czarka in that it's less to do with having money and more to do with commitment.

Some things honestly just sound very troll-like when someone who has never posted before makes their first post about their dog being pregnant for like the 3rd time by accident and they don't know what they should do.

I think those will probably always get snippy responses just because it has nothing to do with knowledge or lack of knowledge but simply just responsibility as a decent human being & common sense. And I think it's normal for some to react rather harshly because quite a few of Dogsters are also involved with rescue, transport, or fostering, and it's just tiring to see the same mistakes being made over and over with someone who seems totally nonchalant about the whole thing.

Things like not knowing much about food, not knowing much about training, not knowing much about a breed before you get one, having gotten a dog from a puppy mill, etc.. having been on Dogster for a little while I think that most of the time people are polite and informative about this. JMHO.

Compared to other forums I've been on I find Dogster full of very helpful, informative people who are in general a nicer group of dog owners than a bunch of forums I've been to, who happen to either A) not know much about dogs/not able to provide much help or B) if it's breed specific, pretty much discriminate against every other breed as basically not being a real dog/as good in a not nice way. Those forums are really insane.

Edited by author Wed Apr 28, '10 1:28pm PST

[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Wed Apr 28, '10 5:32pm PST 
I really hate it when my Limo driver pulls away to fast from a traffic light & it spills my Brandy & Kibble on the back seat . Such a waste of good brandy . I also have to remind him on several occasions to wear his drivers hat when he gets out to open & close the car door for me , you just cant find good domestic help anymore in America...big grinbig grin

Hugs & Farts
Lord Thor . wave
[notify]

Max (aka- Sebastian)

Lovin Life

Barked: Thu Apr 29, '10 5:23am PST 
Thor...
big laughbig laughbig laugh
laugh out loudlaugh out loud
big laughbig laughbig laugh
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Thu Apr 29, '10 5:43pm PST 
BOL Thor! big laughbig laugh
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Fri Apr 30, '10 6:36pm PST 
laugh out loud And once again, Thor lightens up the heavy tone! * Of course, most of his money was made by selling pics of Bullies in the Buff.........*

I think we've all gone through good times & bad financially. It's all a matter of setting your priorities in the correct order. Dahlia gets a haircut & manicure more than I do! I was clueless & somewhat broke when I got her, but gained a great wealth of knowledge & responsibility in caring for her needs. (Try coming home to diarrhea and a vomiting dog on your new rug......First priority-take care of her, then join the gagfest of cleanup duty!)

When you take on a dog you should be prepared to let go of some of life's little luxuries if money is tight. We took this job, now we have to do it right.

If you feel picked on, just remember two things:
(1) You can't always interpret a person's tone on the internet, so don't take it too personally. (Besides, the PC can't see you flip them off...)
(2) Just remember that we are all here because we're passionate about our dogs, and want to help anyone who asks for help. Everyone has to start somewhere, and perhaps a few of us forget it at times.

Enough rambling on. Hang in there. I think this site is a great source of knowledge!

Edited by author Fri Apr 30, '10 6:38pm PST

[notify]
Comet

You better be- taking me with- you!!!!

Barked: Sat May 1, '10 1:29pm PST 
LOL Lord Thor!laugh out loud
[notify]
Spot

Boomer Did It

Barked: Sun May 2, '10 4:55pm PST 
A few bad apples spoil the bunch. cry
[notify]
Gypsy

Been there,- eaten that.

Barked: Sun May 2, '10 9:28pm PST 
I feel like some people are hostile towards low income dog owners because of the stereotype presented. I have to admit, the first thing I think of is the people I see downtown with their pit bulls on huge chains outside 24/7 with no water and the ones who either use their dogs as a status symbol or just cast them aside and treat them as garbage rather than living,feeling, members of their family.Unfortunately, many dogs are being surrendered to shelters because families can no longer afford to care for them which breaks my heart. However, we should all recognize that generalizing about a certain class of people is like being a racist, just because some people are a discredit to the community, doesn't mean everyone is. In a perfect world everyone would be more open minded and less quick to judge someone that they know nothing about.
[notify]
Frank

My dog is- spoiled, as he- should be!

Barked: Wed May 5, '10 9:17am PST 
I agree with SO much on this thread.
My dog's don't get the BEST dog food but I can tell you that they have very comfy beds, get their veterenary care taken care of, and get a LOT of loving.
I have foregone MANY vacations because I couldn't find a sitter. I have gone home for Christmas alone without my husband because one of us needed to stay with the dogs and couldn't find a sitter and YES we could afford boarding them at the time.
I just, on a personal level, have never wanted to board. We never wanted them to feel abandoned so we always either found someone to come stay, or we didn't go. I know that boarding is ok, don't want to start another topic, but for me, I just didn't want to do it.

I am crazy about my dogs. We would take care of them before a bill. They ARE our children and they remind us every day about real love and devotion. My husband used to be of the mindset that dogs belonged outside and cats "YUCK!"
Now, he is in looove with dogs, watches animal planet, nat geo dog programs all the time and is always pointing out stuff. He finally understand their emotions. He gets that Cookie pouts if she thinks you're mad and will go in the front room and a bunch of other stuff. It has been really cool to see him learn. Kind of like learning dogs all over again through his eyes.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 10: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10