GO!

Dogster - Why you use it and who are your pup pals

Are you a fan of Dogster? Share what you love best about the most pawsome dog site ever! We woof you right back!

If you would like to request a new feature or enhancement for the site, please contact Dogster Support by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pi

Barked: Wed May 13, '09 11:17am PST 
I'm a professor working on a paper about how people use dogster. When I talk about it, lots of people say "What's the point? Why would anyone EVER use that!?"

I know my answer smile But why do YOU use dogster?

Also, how do you add pup pals? Do you pick them randomly? From a particular breed? How many of your pup pals are dogs you know in real life?

I think it must be non-dog people who don't understand why the site exists!
dog
[notify]
Shadow NPC,- MDM

Ban the Deed - Not the Breed

Barked: Wed May 13, '09 12:03pm PST 
I started using Dogster when I was looking for a new dog food. Now I use it for just about EVERYTHING dog related; whether it be a training issue, to find out supplements for a particular condition or just to learn something new.

I've met 7-10 of the people that I've met on Dogster and thier pups. I think it's great when we have the opportunity to meet someone face to face that we chat with on line!

As far as people not understanding what the site is all about, I think you hit the nail on the head...it's non-dog owners that don't get it. Of coarse, some of my dog owning friends think I'm a fruitloop for using it so maybe it's NOT just non-dog owners...

ETA: I don't really have a formula for picking pals. Obviously if it's someone that feels the same way about something as I do or someone that I see posting on the same topics I'll ask them to be pals. Or if they've helped me out with something, or if their dog just happens to catch my eye.

Edited by author Wed May 13, '09 12:08pm PST

[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Wed May 13, '09 2:44pm PST 
Because dog people are crazy????????? Seriously, I am a dog professional, own a boarding/grooming business and breed and show dogs. I also live alone, well, except for my dogs. I started on dogster because I discovered by accident, a dog I had placed as a retired brood bitch. Well, from there I went on to discover lots more dogs I had bred and sold over the years. Then, since I like to write, I started writing diaries thru my dogs eyes, with each one having a different perspective to their life. Well, people were reading them and responding, so I kept doing it. Then, I discovered the forums, and now I am a dogster junkie. I mostly accept all pup pal requests but I very rarely request pup pals, unless it is someone I know. Breed has no bearing in my accepting pup pal requests.
I haven't had any meetings in person yet, but do have a few scheduled for later this Summer.
Hope this helps.
[notify]

dorothy- *dot* louise- in heaven

it's hard bein'- a pup

Barked: Fri May 15, '09 5:35pm PST 
I have been on Dogster for almost 5 years. When I first joined the only thing you could do was post a picture, write a profile and coral pups. It amazes me how many things you can do on this site now.

A friend had a dog who died and he made a page on Dogster for a memorial. He sent me the link. I just started reading all the dog profiles and stories and I just found it so sweet. You could just feel how much people loved their dogs. I found it hopeful. People could seem to be so mean to other people but you know there is hope for them because they are sweet to their dogs.

I also feel that the social networking that you do on the internet will play an even more important role in the future. In the past people would get together and be afflitated through things like what church they went to or what school they go to or if they went to a war bar or an animal bar or were rotarians, well, I hope you get my point. I think in the future people will just add to that: Do they go to Facebook or myspace or some other site to meet people.
I hope that I am getting my point across.

As to choosing pup pals: I like to see who is new and welcome them. I pick pals who have good diaries or good forum posts . I also pick doggies who live in the same state as I do. I have never met any dogster pal in person. But, I do feel like I have made many good friends through dogster.

I thought this was an interesting forum topic. I'll send you a ppr.
[notify]
dorothy- *dot* louise- in heaven

it's hard bein'- a pup

Barked: Sat May 16, '09 1:35pm PST 
Ok, I know I'm not usually this wordy, but obviously I have given this some thought.

I just want to say that I believe the internet is redefining or at least adding to what friendship is. If I were an on the ball college student, I think I would do a disertation about friendship on the internet. Then I would be on the cutting edge and be on all the cable news networks. I am however only a dog.
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Sat May 16, '09 4:45pm PST 
I use Dogster because it allows me to interact with people who love animals like I do...I am also on it because I care deeply about dogs & I like to give help when I can.
Pup Pals?...Most send me the request...When I send one it is because someone has really impressed me or touched me in some way.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Sun May 17, '09 8:06am PST 
wave I discovered Dogster thru a friend who's dog was listed & exclaimed she could spend hours on it! So, I put up Dahlia's page, started getting PPRs, looked at new dogs, and found it entertaining.

Then last year I discovered Forums! Now I'm addicted....my eyes glaze over, I reach for the keypad, and run rampant thru it! laugh out loud I have learned so much about food, training, similar experiences, dog health, etc. We all have a common bond--our love for our dogs, and the concern for the welfare of others. I have watched Doggie soap operas unfold, pups growing up, owners struggling with training or behavior issues, advice on everything from the mundane to heart-breaking problems, and find myself racing to the PC to see how their day, week, class, vet's visit, etc went! (perhaps I need a life?)laugh out loud

As for pup pals.........If sent a request, I accept; hate to say no 'cause I wouldn't want to bruise anyone's feelings, & have had some interesting IM's from owners all over the world! I choose pals by state, city, similar looks to my dog, cuteness, and largely by diaries and/or "Gotcha" day stories.

I have several favorite posters, whose intelligence, kindness, and especially Humor touch me. I actually feel like the so-called strangers are indeed, my friends, and would love to meet some of them in person someday!

Good post--I liked it alot, and hope I didn't get too long winded. (I'll blame it on my morning cups of coffee!) applauseapplause
[notify]
Roanna

Guide dogs, the- ones others- emulate

Barked: Sun May 17, '09 3:45pm PST 
We found it by doing a search for dog forum sites, and this was one that came up. At first, it was to try and get a "feel" for what other dog handlers experience, but for the last few months it is because the knowledge of legitimate service dogs by the general public is sorely lacking.
We try to educate and inform, in order to prevent the general public from getting the incorrect impression concerning legitimate service dogs in the public venue. Happy to say that for the most part, it has been and continues to be a successful endeavour.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun May 17, '09 4:33pm PST 
When I first went on dogster I just had one dog and just did his profile and diary. Now that I have 2 dogs, I go on the forums for advice also. I also like to post things that I think about and see if other people think the same way.I dont usually request pup pals, but will accept them ( I am kind of shy in real life too bol) . ETA , I really love the rescue and the choosing the right dog forums. Those and behavior and training are the ones I am on the most.

Edited by author Sun May 17, '09 4:36pm PST

[notify]
Gibbon

I came. I saw.- I conquered!

Barked: Sun May 17, '09 9:49pm PST 
When we got Gibbon in 2005, I wanted to know everything on training, food, health etc in caring for a dog. I really wanted to do it right. and anyone who knows me, I do research...a lot. laugh out loud I would join blogs and forum sites and specific Min Pin sites too. I remember clicking on a link to dogster, checked out the forums and thought, why are people talking like dogs? I thought it was kind of loopy and didn't go back. But one day, a friend at work who had a dog told me to join and said it was kind of fun and we can be "pals". So I registered, uploaded a pic or two and invited her dog to be pals. I would post in a thread or two but still talked like a human.

As time passed, others started to request to be pup pals with me. When Gibbon wouldn't eat and was picky, I could come here and tell them my woes and seek help. I discovered home cooked food through my trainer and holistic pet store - again doing research and found a great community here as well.

It didn't take long to find some great members who shared many of the same interests. I began to speak like Gibbon and let his personality loose. It became a home away from home where simple things in life could be enjoyed without the daily stress.

I was always a strong dog advocate but dogster cemented it for me. Because I work long hours, I could never volunteer or foster but this place has provided me with ways to help homeless dogs through the internet. I am amazed every day over what I learn and how to help. Dogster members provide not only the comic relief for me, but humbles me knowing that there are so many out there that feel as committed to helping pups as I do.

Over the few years I have been on Dogster, I have been truly honored to be a part of situations where a group of us come to the aid of either a dog, a member or a rescue. Some of the situations took up to two years but each one has always been a success. To be a part of something that you probably would never have heard about is really amazing.

As for pup pals, I can't begin to tell you the wonderful, intelligent, down to earth people I have met through dogster. It really has become little circles of families - extended families. We rally around eachother. And I have met many as well. I live in NYC so many travel here or live around the area that we are bound to meet. we even have a meet up every year at Madison Square Park.

The one genius part of dogster is that by being your dog, there are no politics, race, gender, financial status, occupation or age which allows others to have an automatic perception of you. Yes, there are certain conversations which do bring that out, but you really are just your dog. And dogster is definitely diverse once you really begin to learn about each other.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2