GO!

Have you looked at your dogs ashes ?

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Ruby

Girls just like- to have fun

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '08 12:16pm PST 
Ruby has been gone for a year now. Yesterday for the first time , I looked at her ashes. They were in a zip lock baggie , inside apouch, inside a box. I didn't open the zip lock , I could feel things I thought were bones or teeth. After a while I put her back in the pouch, and put her in a beautiful box. I do believe in afterlife, and I know I will see Ruby again. I don't feel like this is Ruby. I've had several people ask me what I was going to do with her ashes. I honestly don't know. What are the options? What do people usually do with them ? What do they mean to you?thinkingconfused
[notify]
Claudia

Claudia- 12/18/2007 to- 12/1/2008

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '08 12:27pm PST 
My baby just left me on Monday. I didn't even know about getting the ashes. Oh how I wish I would have gotten that option. I am envious of you. I would love to have Claudia's ashes.
[notify]
Rafa

Until there are- none, adopt one!-

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '08 12:48pm PST 
I tried to open the box containing my cat Lucky Boo's ashes, but it is tightly sealed. Regretfully, I scratched it up pretty badly trying to get into it. I always planned to get a beautiful urn for him. I didn't know his remains would be in a sealed box. But I guess in a way it's good that I couldn't see them because it may have upset me. And Lucky is not in there, just his earthly remains. Lucky is at the Bridge.

Cisco Kid

Free Kisses!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '08 2:14pm PST 
thinkingthinking Hmmm....believe it or not my Mama has often thought about what she would have done with my ashes....thinking..you see I was killed by coyotes and all they left of me was a little bit if my fur...nothing to bury, nothing to make ashes out of but Mama knows in her heart that she would have placed a few of my ashes in her special garden and call it "Cisco's place"...she would also get one of those really cute necklace pendants that hold a little bit of ashes...the rest she would just keep in a special spot at our home.

These seem like very noble choices so I hope it helps those of you who may be struggling with what to do your furbaby's ashes.

Cisco Kid
1998-2007
hug
[notify]
Rusty - 1994-2008

Forever In- Mommy's Heart

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '08 5:23pm PST 
I picked up Rusty's ashes a couple weeks ago. His ashes are in a baggy contained within a cherrywood box with a key and a lock on it. When I first got the box home I placed it on my dresser. That night I took the bag containing his ashes out of the box,held them close to my heart and cried myself to sleep. Since then, I only took them out one other time. My 11 yr old niece stayed with me Thanksgiving night. She and Rusty were very close and she asked to see his ashes. She broke down in tears and I did as well.

At first I was going to sprinkle Rusty's ashes at his favorite park, but I have since decided to keep them. Every morning I wake up, touch the cherry wood box and tell Rusty I love him and I miss him.
[notify]
Oliver -- My Beloved -

Dogs make you a- better human

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '08 5:49pm PST 
Hi....when I got Oliver's ashes...it felt good to 'bring him home' though I know he is not in there. It is a small wooden urn and it is sealed--I have not opened it; but I shook it once just to see if something was really in there. I broke my heart. I keep him on my dresser beside his photo and at times I hold his box close to my heart for a moment. We do what we need to do to deal with such pain and transition. I will tell you that it gets easier to feel them around as a little time passes. I still 'talk' to him and try to leave myself open to 'see' or feel his presence. I , too, believe I will hold him again one day. Ruby is so lucky to be forever loved.
[notify]
Peaches- ♥

I'm adopted!!

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '08 7:55pm PST 
We haven't lost any of our dogs yet but we know the time will come soon for a couple of them. I plan to keep them in pretty urns and have them buried with me when I go. Maybe it's silly but no one else will want them and I think I'd feel better knowing they were safe with me. Maybe it'll help them find me more easily at the Rainbow Bridge. It always makes me sad to go into the vet or the animal ER and see ashes that never get picked up.
[notify]
WA AussCHI- Posse

Big Packs Rule!

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '08 10:57pm PST 
I looked at Ringo's ashes and Niko's but not Cali's yet. The boys' ashes are in a photo box with 4 rotating pictures- I haven't ordered Cali's yet and hers are still in the flowery metal tin they came in. I agree- it really isn't your beloved pet in that boxfrown
Our vet techs will also make a pawprint of the pet out of white model magic and stamp the name on it. That pawprint means more to us than the ashes.

Mama has a grooming client whose Cocker died at home. The daddy brought her in and said he didn't want a pawprint, but mama asked the techs to make it anyways. She saved it and a few months later the clients brought a new Cocker puppy in. Mama gave the owners the pawprint and they were so happy they both criedhughughughughug
[notify]
The Chicago- Crew of- Angels

Recycle- Love--Adopt!

Barked: Sat Dec 6, '08 12:07am PST 
I've looked at/held the bags containing the ashes from all three of my Goldens. I bought a nice wooden photo-urn when HoneyBunny passed in 2006. When Remo passed this July, I thought it fitting to put his remains in with HoneyBunny, and change the photo to one of both of them. I had planned to get the same type of urn for LuckyLucy when she passed in August, but then our English Bulldog WINston passed in September and time stood still. When I finally contacted the Whippet rescue people that made HoneyBunny's urn, I found they are no longer making urns.

I haven't been able to look at WINston's ashes because I'm really freaked out that they aren't his or aren't all there. The ashes for my three Goldens filled the metal urns they were delivered in--the tops would barely close. At 60 lbs, WINston was at least two-thirds the weight of the Goldens, and very big boned, but when his ashes came back from the same crematorium it was less than a fourth of the amount I expected it to be, and felt "crunchy" through the tissue paper. All my dogs were private cremations, not partitioned or group. I just can't get it out of my head that he's not all there or that I got someone else's pet and someone waiting for a Chihuahua's remains got WIN's. And yes, I know WIN really isn't there, and I believe I will see him again, but this has just freaked me out. I haven't told anyone this until now...

Edited by author Sat Dec 6, '08 12:17am PST

[notify]
Jennifer- (1990 - 2007)

Forever Loved

Barked: Sat Dec 6, '08 12:41am PST 
Jennifer's ashes came in a nice urn. I have not tried to open it up and look inside. The urn is in a Curio cabinet which is full of schnauzer ornaments and trophies that the dogs have won. I have a video on her page showing the curio cabinet and urn.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7