GO!

Is Urinary Incontinence common in poodles?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Millie ~In- Loving- Memory~

spoiled princess

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 4:05pm PST 
I have a small spayed female poodle, who will be 13 years in June of this year, with a huge problem. Since last week she has been urinating every two hours and most of the time in the house. She has never had a problem like this before and never went in the house since she was a young puppy. For the most part she is otherwise a healthy dog. What can I do for now to make her more comfortable? Has anyone experienced a problem like this before? Is this more common in poodles?

Today we took Millie to the veterinarian, and he did not seem to know what was going on with her. He took a urine sample and nothing came up negative just a bit diluted because of excessive amounts of water. He listed all the possible scenarios to us from diabetes to kidney disease. She had blood work done and another urine sample to be shipped off to a lab. We are supposed to get a call on Monday to hopefully find out the results. I am hoping it is something simple that can be treated with something as simples as medicine.
[notify]
Cleo

Cleo

Barked: Sat Feb 14, '09 3:23pm PST 
Millie,
Urinary Incontinence is common in older female dogs including poodles. It can be a symptom of a more serious problem like diabetes but it can also just be a sign of aging.
I worked in a veterinary clinic and regardless of what is causing the incontinence, medication and sometimes a change in diet can usually control the problem.
[notify]