GO!

Titles with the dogs name

This forum is for Dogster members to seek and share advice to enhance participation and make the most of the features offered on the site. If you need assistance with your Dogster account, or require technical support, please contact Dogster Support directly by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster. Additional help is available at FAQs.

Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Sat Nov 19, '11 6:01pm PST 
Some users have capital letters after their dog's name. What do they mean? Are these some titles earned in shows and competitons etc. as I have guessed? Can anybody attach their dog's titles to the dog's name or are there some rules or limits?
[notify]
Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Sat Nov 19, '11 10:03pm PST 
Do you mean like when people have CGC (Canine Good Citizen) or other things too?
You can put whatever you like after your dogs name, some people have other random letters to represent show dog stuff. (I wouldn't know much about that) But you can add whatever you like to your dogs name.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 21, '11 1:13pm PST 
Most of the titles you see near a dog's name are listed on the AKC website with their abbreviations (because most dogsters are in the US, the AKC has the highest # of registrations here). Some titles come before a dog's name, others are suffixes if listed properly. For example a CH. before a dog's name indicates it has earned the "Champion" title, it has earned enough conformation points in AKC breed events that it can display that title. Most of those dogs are purebreds only, as the AKC restricts who can participate in what event by breed registration.

They also have herding, nosework, agility titles galore.

There are also APDT titles that are earned through competitions like Rally obedience. Their titles appear differently than those of the AKC. I'm not sure if they restrict by breed, they may not. You can check apdt. com for more info on their competitions, titles and qualifications.

A CGC (canine good citizen) is a certificate that is earned for passing the AKC's canine good citizen test, all breeds and mutts/mixes can participate in that one. Competitors will quickly tell you that isn't a 'title' per se. Hope this helps.
[notify]

Alva BH

Barked: Mon Nov 21, '11 4:56pm PST 
Well, I was more interested in if there is a custom to show these titles on this forum and how, but your message was very informative.

So in theory, my dog could be Alva BH here... Or? I don't know if BH is known there across the Atlantic ocean. It is a trial with a purpose slightly similar to CGC but the content is not the same and also CGC tests are arranged here. I found information about CGC test and it gave me an impression that it is more about meeting strangers and handling when BH is more about obedience and control. But because I suppose BH isn't very known around here I will not add it to Alva's name to avoid confusion.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Nov 22, '11 10:40am PST 
BH title is known all over. smile

It is a preliminary obedience test before a dog can enter and title in other SchH activities. If you want to, you can definitely list yourself as Alva, BH! Many people will recognize it. dog

There aren't any rules or limits to it, it's just a way for people on Dogster to show what types of training they do with their dogs.

Congratulations on passing your BH! We hope to do it soon too.

Edited by author Tue Nov 22, '11 10:44am PST

[notify]
Alva BH

Barked: Wed Nov 23, '11 9:29am PST 
I must say I don't do schutzhund with Alva. It would be nice to even try, but I doubt she has enough spirit for that. And it is very difficult to find a good trainer for that. Here in Finland BH is a trial for any dog, breed or not, and it is a key to some trials in those breeds that have the right to enter schutzhund, tracking, search and messenger dog trials. I think Alva could be trained for tracking or search - if I just had a car. There is also search and rescue work that is open for any breed.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Nov 23, '11 9:37am PST 
Very neat! I know lots of people who only take 'parts' of SchH sport.. like they only do BH and AD or only do the tracking portion.

We want to take the BH exam but will not advance to defense.. we will only do AD and maybe the tracking portion as well.

Our acquaintance in Finland also does mushing with her dogs although they are not Huskies.. kitty

Hope you can find a way to get to some venues to continue training!
[notify]