GO!

new from Florida with vomiting question?

This forum is for Dogster members to seek and share advice to enhance participation and make the most of the features offered on the site. If you need assistance with your Dogster account, or require technical support, please contact Dogster Support directly by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster. Additional help is available at FAQs.

Oliver

Barked: Thu Jun 16, '11 10:25am PST 
Hello, my name is Raquel and I have a 2 year old St. named Oliver. I recently got him off of Craigslist and everything seemed to be in order. Two weeks ago he threw up and I thought he was still getting used to being away from his other family. Yesterday and today he threw up again, and it is the worst foul smelling odor I have ever encountered! Has anyone else ever had this problem with their Saint? If so, is it a vet check he needs, or can I manage it at home? Thank you all in advance!
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Thu Jun 16, '11 4:07pm PST 
Anytime you get a new dog, even he comes with a history, it's a good idea to take him to your vet right away. I try to do it within 3 days.

Since he is vomiting, I would get him in as soon as possible. If he is not eating or drinking, lethargic, or eyes don't look right, I would get him in immediately.

Hope all will turn out well!
[notify]
Oliver

Barked: Thu Jun 16, '11 4:11pm PST 
I hve had him to the vet due to a golf ball size thing on his foot and his front teeth being so worn down. The golf ball size whatever is nothing more than scar tissue from something going completely through his foot and his front teeth will never be normal again but that doesnt effect his eating... He eats well and is drinking fine, but it just worries me that I didn't have him since he was a puppy so I know nothing about him, only what I have observed over the past month. I shall let everyone know how it works out as we are taking him to the vet tomorrow morning. I hope it's nothing serious as he has become not only my German Shepherds best friend, but also ours.
[notify]

Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Thu Jun 16, '11 4:33pm PST 
I'm so glad to hear he has already been seen by the vet and also that he's eating and drinking.

Just looked at his picture and he is a cutie pie! Did the people on craigslist say why they had to give him up?
[notify]
Oliver

Barked: Thu Jun 16, '11 7:11pm PST 
Well they had 5 kids and she had just been diagnosed with cancer =(. Unfortunately they werent able to care for him like he needed. She got weak and wasnt able to walk him on a leash or anything. I feel terrible they lost their beloved pet, but I'm happy I found him. He just completed our family. And he is a cutie! Such a marshmellow =)
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Fri Jun 17, '11 6:37am PST 
Wow, that's really a sad story for his prior family!cry

I'm so glad you opened your heart and home to him and that he is such a good fit. Please post an update after he sees the vet. Hopefully it's going to be just a fluke. Good luck!!way to go
[notify]
Oliver

Barked: Fri Jun 17, '11 1:50pm PST 
They said he just has a common cold... i hate to say it but deep in my gut i feel there is something more there. Especially after watching him convulse on the floor but hop right up when i called his name... no vomit today, but he still has that horrible smell in his mouth. trying to get ahold of another vet for the soonest appt. if all else fails ill have to bring him to an emergency clinic. And it is very sad for the prior family, but when i brought him to the vet he said Oliver wasnt treated very fairly as he has a scar tissue ball on the top of his foot and the front of his teeth are horribly worn down...
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Fri Jun 17, '11 2:58pm PST 
His fur doesn't look terribly long but perhaps he has some excess in his gut and a slight blockage.

Did the vet do a stool sample to check for worms? It's best to take in a fresh (within a few hours) sample versus the fecal wand done in the vet's office. Sometimes if there isn't much to run on the wand some worms/eggs might be missed.

Does he have a lot of tartar on his teeth? That can make the breath smell putrid!

Now that he is on a good, healthy diet hopefully he will adjust and his system will calm down.

Good luck with him, I can tell your already head over heals in love with your newest family member!

Please keep in touch regarding his progress.
[notify]
Oliver

Barked: Fri Jun 17, '11 3:20pm PST 
His teeth arent full of tartar but we do plan on gettin some doggy tooth paste and brush. The pic was taken after I have got him shaven. He's doing a bit better today. No vomit, but I'm still watching him very closely. And they didn't really do anything but look into his mouth and listen to his stomach and lungs. I'm hoping to get a second opinion soon. I don't want it to get any worse if there is a serious problem. I'm just hoping that I didn't catch it to late if he needs something done. And yes, I am in total love with him. Never thought such a big dog could have so much love and empathy towards a human. He truly is a blessing and has brought our family so much closer than before.
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Fri Jun 17, '11 3:42pm PST 
I'm glad he's doing a bit better today!

You may have already done this, but have them do a 3dx test, too (heartworm, ehrliccia (sp?) and Lymes disease). It is a simple blood test done in the office.

Hang in there and we'll keep thinking positive thoughts!big hug
[notify]