GO!

Do Painkillers For Dogs Also Kill Pain in Humans?

This forum is for Dogster members to seek and share advice to enhance participation and make the most of the features offered on the site. If you need assistance with your Dogster account, or require technical support, please contact Dogster Support directly by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster. Additional help is available at FAQs.

Tootsie

Lil' Miss Greedy

Barked: Sun Dec 14, '08 7:27pm PST 
I was just wondering.
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 10:51am PST 
You should never take prescription medicines that were not prescribed to you-- especially if those medications were prescribed for a different species. And conversely, you should never give your dog human medications without the advice of a vet on if it's OK, dosing etc. Medications may work differently on different species of animals. The way our bodies metabolize the drugs, how fast they work, how much is toxic, etc might all be different. I am betting that the underlying way the pain is blocked would work similarly, but the dosing and complications are likely going to be different between human and dog medications. Stay safe and don't share prescription medications with your dog (or take your dog's medications!). Always consult with a vet before giving any medicine to your dog.
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 11:00am PST 
I think a better question is would you really want to risk your health and unknown side effects to find out?

Luckee

If you are- conservative- pmail me!

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 4:45pm PST 
Luckee just had to get painkillers. I wondered how they differ.

My guess is the strength for one.

I wondered if they are similar?
[notify]
"HOOVER" plus "Attie"

"Evil thrives- when good men do- nothing"

Barked: Wed Dec 17, '08 5:23pm PST 
From what I understand, and I use to work in the medical field and my sister is a CCU RN, Vets have trouble with people trying to get narcotics for their pets and then taking them theirselves. I know a lady that lost her license (she was an RN) she had a dog that had been given narcotics and instead of giving them to her dog she took them herself. There was some other things that she did concerning narcotics that I never heard the whole story but she went to rehab and eventually got her license back. As far as formulas go my understanding is animal medication is somewhat different maybe it's not as refined as human medication is. I know one thing for sure though Vets have to keep tabs on prescribing narcotics just like MD's do.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Wed Dec 17, '08 6:40pm PST 
Some medications are used for both animals and human medicine, but many pain medications for dogs are not used in humans and many pain medications for humans are harmful and dangerous for dogs. Additionally if a medication is used in both species, they may use different dosages because the medication may affect the species differently meaning even if you took a dog and human the same weight they may require different dosages.
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '08 2:08pm PST 
It depends on what kind of painkillers they are. Many painkillers for people are toxic for dogs.

I pray you are not thinking about taking a dogs painkillers. My Mother's Italian Greyhound ruptured several disks in his back and had to have pain killers. Well the vet tech that gave us the pills shorted us by a handful. I just don't understand how you could let an animal who cant tell you where it hurts suffer, while people use it for recreation. shrug
[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Fri Dec 19, '08 9:13am PST 
Animal drugs are not as sterile as human drugs are.
[notify]
Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Sat Dec 20, '08 8:59am PST 
Some drugs used for animals were tested on animals and deemed safe enough for animal use but not safe enough for human use.confused

For instance, DMSO is often mixed with an antibacterial for use in horses-to treat wounds- but because if it gets mixed with something toxic it can poison you just by touching it (it crosses the cell barrier), DMSO is generally not aproved for use in humans.

If a vet wants you to give your pet an over the counter human medication, they will tell you.
[notify]