GO!

Potty training help!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Charley

Bite, bite, bite- everything!

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 7:32pm PST 
I have a 16 week standard poodle named Charley and we're still having a hard time with housebreaking! I've done a lot of research, and I praise her lavishly when she goes outside, and take her outside every hour to potty, and she still pees and poops on the floor! When I catch her in the act, I say a firm "NO" and take her outside immediately. Also, we do crate train her--Charley is in her crate for 6-7 hours per day while I'm at work. She doesn't seem to go in her crate, but when I come home, we still have a lot of accidents! Lastly, we sleep with Charley in our bedroom at night (she sleeps or the floor or voluntarily goes in her crate), and she's good then about letting us know--she makes this howling sound, which I respond with taking her outside right away. So we've made progress, but the accidents on the floor still happen. I guess the most frustrating part is that she's good about letting us know to go outside when she's confined in our bedroom, but never lets us know while she's free in the house (supervised, of course!) Is this normal? Charley seems to learn fast in all other aspects with new concepts. How long until a poodle is fully housebroken? We got Charley when she was around 10 weeks old, and the woman we got her from stated she hadn't made any progress with housebreaking at that age.

I appreciate any and all responses! This is the first dog I've owned, so I'm still learning!
[notify]
Simon,- Theodore,- Nina ,Ranger

Poodles Rule!

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 10:48am PST 
I just got two 9 month old standard poodle puppies that came directly from a kennel, so they had no house training at all. I was not prepared for what that actually meant (ie they must have had an outside kennel as they treated the whole house like it was ok to pee/poop in). What worked for me was taking them out every couple of hours (actually every hour or two when they first arrived), distinguishing a specific place in the yard for "pee-pee" and "shoo-shoo" (what we named it) that was not in their play area and adding the verbal praise "good boy you go pee-pee (or shoo-shoo) outside". That reinforced the fact that they were going to the bathroom and they were doing it outside - and that was the right thing to do. I didn't scold them for going in the house unless I caught them in the act, and if I did catch them in the act I brought them directly outside while saying "go pee-pee outside". I started this training when they first arrived (early feb of this year) and they are now fully house trained. Hope this helps!
[notify]
Sophie

Mischief...what- can I get my- paws into??

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 5:04pm PST 
Hi ya!

Saw your post and I feel your pain! We've had our two standards for almost a year now. They were 8 weeks and 16 weeks old when we got them, and not crate trained. The chocolate, Khloe, seemed to know not to go in the house. The black, Sophie, took us forever to house train! We were taking them out every 3 hours, day and night. Unfortunately for us, they didn't tell us when they had to go out. It must've taken 6-7 months for Sophie to become fully house trained. She has finally started letting us know by barking when she has to go out. These are our first dogs as well. It will get better, I promise!
[notify]

Charley

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '08 8:28pm PST 
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I feel a little better, and we're making progress each day!
[notify]
Sophie

Mischief...what- can I get my- paws into??

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '08 4:42pm PST 
wink
[notify]
Mandy and - Casey

2PUPPIES 2x the- work 4x the fun

Barked: Sat Apr 19, '08 5:50pm PST 
Mandy is about 4 1/2 months now and just now is reliable to take eyes off of. We had a set back last week with a miner blader infection I treated with cranberry pills and vinager in water.
Took 2 days but back to good as gold.

I would get a long leash and teather her to you at all times out of crate. If you are busy in crate take out of crate then straight outside. If no go then back in crate try again 20 minutes later.

Is she going in same spot? I heard if you feed in that room they wont potty there but not sure or not.

Good luck to you it gets better
[notify]
Daphne

Mom, Watch- Me....MOM!

Barked: Sat Apr 19, '08 8:52pm PST 
I leashed trained Daphen and she was potty trained at 5 months. No accidents and completely trustworthy.

If she is not crated, then she is on a leash by my side. She had no free run of the house. That way she could never go off and have an accident. The longer between accidents the more success you will have. Being on the leash in the house made her learn to give me signals she needed to go out. When she would start to smell around or circle I would say "do you have to go potty Daphne", she would get excited and I would take her out. This lead to her getting excited instead of sniffing or circling. I would wait for her to give me signs she needed to go out and not just take her out every hour. When you take them out to often they get used to going that often and will go every hour, even if you aren't letting them out. It worked wonders for me. I used it on our Chihuahua and in 1 month of getting him he was 100% housebroken. It is the method I will use from now since it has proven to work now twice.
[notify]
Charley

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 9:46pm PST 
Thanks for all the other tips. Dalphene, I like the leash training idea. Lately, we've had A LOT more success with Charley, and we're basically down to "accidents" that only happen occasionally. Someone asked if she was marking in the same spot--kinda. Charley liked to go in the hallway, and I think this was because it was away from us (she knows she's not supposed to go in the house). Lately, we've been using baby gates to block off access to the hallway, and I think that's helped. Once I can trust her (which I think will be soon), I'll remove the gates. Thanks again, everyone!
[notify]