GO!

Skijoring/Canicross Harnesses for Smaller Dogs?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 7:56pm PST 
Some of you may recall Rigby's "DNA Test" results coming back stating she was a good percentage Husky. While I still do not accept those results as gospel at all, within that thread (and in a few other online forums) I was told that she is around the right size of a smaller female Husky.

As such, I have been wanting to train her as I've trained Cobain to run/ski/rollerblade/bike with me. And would like the appropriate harness for the job.

After searching 5 sites that I trust, I have found that the smallest offered would be too large for her small frame. The legnths especially all seem to be quite long for her.

Since I've exhausted the sources that I trust, I'm looking to see if anyone has any other recommendations of sites that they have dealt with that could provide me with a smaller harness.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 7:46pm PST 
Have you tried Canadog? I am not sure about their sizing but I have some stuff from them and it is all good quality.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 4:48am PST 
How small is she? If she's the size of a small Husky, most outfitters should have gear that fits her, unless they're catering to larger draft/sprint dogs.

I've been having major problems posting links on Dogster, so I'm gonna go the copy/paste/remove spaces route:

http://ne-outfitters.com/ecommerce/category.php?vuid=2

I think the Reflective Soft Chest Guard Distance Harness is the smallest, and has extra padding for short fur.
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 4:23am PST 
Bump
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 11:37am PST 
Bump
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 1:48pm PST 
Thanks for the links!

I personally have never seen a Husky her size, but o I've been told with the vague height/weight measurements combined with photos that she's the size of a small husky shrug

Rigby's measurements in inches:
Height - 18
Neck - 14
Neck base to breast bone - 9
Withers to Base of Tail - 19
Breast plate to last rib - 13
Chest circumference - 24

She's approximately 30lbs now.

Bosely, Canadog was one of the first places I looked smile
She's only 1-3 inches smaller than their listed Small size so I am going to email them to inquire if they've maybe got something that could fit her.

The Reflective Soft chest Guard Distance Harness might fit her in XXS, but then I am worried about her chest size. - But I will email them
I was also wondering what the difference with this and the X-back would be? As I've only really had experience with the X-back in pulling harnesses.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 4:12pm PST 
The -joring activities are typically done in harnesses like the Guard Harness because the tug line is running from a high point, down to the dog. Sledding and a lot of scooters and rigs all have low points where the tug line runs level with or up to the dog. You put an X-back on something higher than the dog, and it's going to tend to lift up off the dog.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 5:41pm PST 
Ahh that makes a lot of sense, thanks Ember!
Cobain has an x-back just because that's what we were told to go with when I purchased it.
Since I'm a pretty short person, it still works okay with him, but with Rigby being smaller it would make sense to get the other style.

I did get a response from Canadog, and they asked for a photo of Rigby against a door. Lucky me, my house is so poorly made that each of the doors are different sizes with the doorknobs all different heights!
Figured I would post them on here (I know, they're not pretty laugh out loud)just to do a quick size comparison:

It's not pretty, but here it is

Standing up uncharacteristically straight because I said a key word
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 1:35pm PST 
bump
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Mon Jan 6, '14 10:04am PST 
bump