GO!

The Disabled Handler, Agility and other dog sports

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 5:45pm PST 
One of the topics in agility most close to my heart is the physically limited or disabled and agility. If you have not done agility because you think it's impossible with your set of physical limitations, I hope this article inspires you.

I've known some awesomely talented teams with a handler with such daunting physical limitations that I can't imagine how they even get dressed each day, much less run agility successfully. Here's my article on the topic. I'd love to hear which agility (obedience, flyball or any canine sport) handlers with physical issues inspire you!!

Click here to read the article on physically limited handlers and agility.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 6:07am PST 
That's Awesome! applauseway to go
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 9:09pm PST 
I have seen a wide variety of disabled handlers, but one of my all time favorites is this guy - HERE.
[notify]

MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 10:55pm PST 
He and his dog make a VERY impressive team, Maggie et al. smile Thanks for posting that video. It fits beautifully with the article.
[notify]
Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 1:06am PST 
Good article! I’ve seen disabled handlers. That man and his dog are a great team!
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 12:58pm PST 
There are so many differing disabilities in this life - the physical ones that are apparent to others are hard to miss, but there are even those hidden ones.

Here is another video for anyone that thinks they can't play! I have also seen videos of blind handlers and their dogs - the world of dog sports are not limited to only the able bodied!
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 11:36am PST 
You are right Maggie. There are many hidden disabilities out there. That is one reason it's very important not to judge someone's handling when watching agility.

I once was doing a long lead out with my dog Aslan. I don't see well. It's very much a hidden disability. When I lead out a few obstacles, I cannot tell if Aslan, who is the same color as the dirt surfaces we trial on around here, has moved or if he is still in a stay position. I can tell if he hasn't taken the first obstacle, but that is is.

Because of that, his (and all of my dogs) start line stay criteria is just not to take the first obstacle. At this trial, I set him down at the start line and told him "stay." As I was leading out, he left his sit and crept up to in front of the first obstacle. I heard someone in the audience say very sarcastically, "Oh yeah. 'Stay!'"

It made me so mad I almost stopped, turned to the bleachers and gave whoever said that a lecture. My dog was doing EXACTLY what he was trained to do...not take the first obstacle.

I've learned to really try and never judge someone's training or handling. There are almost always reasons for what they do.
[notify]
Ch. Opal - BN, RE, CGC

this is the good- life

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 4:57pm PST 
Thanks i was so glad to read this. I had just started in agiltiy less than month after my first agility trial i was in a car accident roled my jeep and dislocated my ankle real bad and was told i was most likely never gonna be able to run again but i spent the last few months retraining opal to still do agility in a way i can handle and just sent my entry in for our first trial back next month and couldnt be more excited
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 10:21pm PST 
I just met a woman who is going to enter para agility world championships in Hungary. She has (had?) cancer. I also know that a local agility event had a para agility class this summer but I did not see it because it was first in the morning and I arrived later.
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

Barked: Tue Sep 3, '13 1:08pm PST 
Interesting!!! I hope the para agility takes off. It would be great for the sport, the dogs and the para athletes. big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2