GO!

Barn Hunt?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Abby

Anna's Dark- Angel

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 11:35am PST 
Does anyone here compete in/have experience with barn hunt or is interested in it?

I might be taking my crew in August to give it a try(it'll be our states first ever barn hunt event!)and I'm really looking forward to it. I think Abby will love it! I'm also bringing Twister and my foster, but it'll likely end up entering Abby alone...
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 4:43pm PST 
Conker, a Shiba Inu here on the forum, apparently has the fastest record in Barn Hunt I think and does it a lot! I'm sure he'll drop by and give you very valuable tips! I thought it looked fun myself but the website was a lil confusing for me. smile
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 5:27pm PST 
shrug What is a barn hunt? I have a mental image of dogs being let loose in a huge hay barn and catching rats and mice. Am I even close?smile
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 7:23pm PST 
Pretty much Fritz!
From what I understand, the dogs are let loose in a barn full of hay bales. There are 2 or 3 tubes, one with a live rat, one with rat bedding/droppings, and one with just the scent (I think). The dog must find the one with the rat, the others are just distractions I guess. But, they also must complete another task, like jump over a hay bale or go through a tunnel of hay bales.. I remember watching a video of Conker, and he found the rat in the first few seconds, but he hadn't jumped over the hay bale yet so they couldn't stop the timer until he did lol! But he still made the fastest record I believe.

I'll try to find it. smile

Edit:
Oops. I lied. It wasn't Conker haha! But I knew it was a Shiba!

http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8367 /barn-hunt-love-to-hunt-try-the-new-sports-to-search-for-rats
(look for spaces)

I didn't realize there was so much in the post, I had only looked at the videos. I guess I get to read a bit now. laugh out loud

Here is Koji's profile here:
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1182826

Edited by author Mon Jun 17, '13 7:29pm PST

[notify]
Abby

Anna's Dark- Angel

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 9:14pm PST 
So I just found out that we are officially going! I talked to my friend today and was able to work travel plans around the trial so I pretty much leave for AK the day after the event. Just have to send out entries...

Anyhow Not sure who all will be going. I'm thinking about taking 3 of the 4 pups to get them all instinct tested then run Abby in novice. I'm soo freaking excited!!! I've been wanting to do barn hunt since I first heard about it last year, but we didn't have any trials until now!
[notify]
Abby

Anna's Dark- Angel

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 5:59am PST 
Alos here's the link to the Barn hunt website
http://barnhunt.com/
[notify]