GO!

Iditarod dog buried alive in snow.

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Isaac

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 3:08pm PST 
Well, clearly the dog that was buried alive in the snow wasn't being well cared for. It is not humane to allow a dog to be buried alive in the snow. If the dog was removed from the race because of a health problem, that doesn't make it OK to allow the dog to then be buried alive in the snow.

Perhaps some mushers do treat their dogs well. But clearly, this one was not treated well at it. It was terribly neglected and died a terrible death because of that neglect.
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 2:37pm PST 
That dog died because the weather was bad and they couldn't fly dogs out as often as they should have. There were over 135 dogs at Unalakleet at that point, and the volunteers were doing their best to keep them cared for. It was a tragic accident, and other dogs were buried under the snow but didn't die. Iditarod has already had a meeting with the musher whose dog died, along with all possible members of the Iditarod Finishers Club, and they have already agreed on a way to proceed forward next year that will change the way the dogs are cared for in the major hub checkpoints like Unalakleet. http://d3r6t1k4mqz5i.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2013- IDITAROD-PRESS-RELEASE-RESULTS-OF-THE-IDITAROD-TRAIL-COMMITTEE%E2%80 %99S-INVESTIGATION-INTO-THE-DEATH-OF-DORADO-AND-POTENTIAL-MITIGATION -MEASURES.pdf?d0edd7

Also, I've worked for two champion mushers and had a job offer from another champ, and I've never seen cruelty like Khuno's owner suggests. I've lived in Knik, Alaska which is arguably the dog mushing capitol of the world, and never saw any cruelty happening. I've been racing dogs for over 13 years and I know the dogs love it, and the mushers take incredibly good care of their dogs. Here's a video of this year's champion team soon after finishing this year's race. Tell me these dogs are abused. https://www.facebook.com/seaveysididaride/app_57675755167?ref=ts

Feel free to message me with any questions regarding dog racing. There are bad apples in every area, and they give a bad name to the people who do good things.
[notify]
Khuno

Chain free is- the way to be!

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 6:45pm PST 
I still have photos and videos - that you posted and then removed (due to caring guardians complaining about the conditions) of how you chain/house your dogs - saved on my computer. You, like much of the mushing community, think treating these dogs like soulless objects is okay. I wouldn't expect you to find an issue with the abuse you witness at the kennels you work for. I've been mushing for fifteen years, and all of the abuse and cruelty that is inherent in this sport is verifiable. I have also photo-documented much of it, as have others. If you choose to support animal abuse, please do it elsewhere.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 12:00am PST 
Khuno, I hope you realize pictures are property. Copying them without permission is an offense. What gives you the right to judge other people? Who appointed you the ruler of the world? You don't know any of us and I am certain you have no right to tell anyone to leave this site. I rescue dogs on a regular basis, that does not give me the right to run about telling people what to do. When I look at your dogs I see BORED! But they are your dogs and that is your choice.
A dog died because of circumstances out of the ordinary. Get over it. They have vet checks, they determined the dog was ill and pulled it. It died, that's sad. You do get that being buried in the snow didn't kill it, being sick did.
[notify]
Khuno

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 6:27am PST 
If you read the copyright laws of the multiple social networking sites the dogs were on, you will understand the public use - I've even ran it past my lawyer, because I use the photos in my educational work to show people how NOT to treat sled dogs. Chaining emaciated dogs in flooded yards to dilapidated dog houses is abuse.

Edited by moderator Thu May 23, '13 12:12pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Khuno

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 6:28am PST 
And how people treat their dogs is EVERYONE'S business. Animal welfare is a law, not a personal choice.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2