GO!

Confused about Some APDT Rally Rules

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Rolo

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 9:31am PST 
Well, I just thought some of the Rally participants and Rally judge(s) on Dogster might know a little more about the CyberRally rules or be able to reason them out. thinking

But thanks for the link, I really don't need to join any more Yahoo groups, most of mine focus on sheep and dog genetics. smile
[notify]
Rolo

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 10:32am PST 
Well, I did actually want an answer, I just posted it here as it is the only generalized dog group I belong to. (I belong to dog-behavior-science and dog-genetics). I'll be sure to post to the link you suggested. I just thought that someone who brought up CyberRally here might be able to answer. A few of the Dogsters seem familiar with this activity or sub-activity.

Edited by moderator Tue Jan 22, '13 4:29pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
G2

Be Scaredy of- Me, Dawg!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 11:41am PST 
"as for the food vs toy issue.. well, i wouldn't expect either to be used in competitive venues but.."

I wouldn't either - in NALC trials no food/toys/etc are allowed - in fact the lady who runs it recently lectured the competitors at a show on how people who can't manage their dogs without "help" should stay home until they are trained. Now, this was a little harsh, but I think that it demonstrates a difference in the criteria between what is considered a competitive venue and one that is more....enjoyment oriented?
I find it interesting that people can send in videos and receive titles based on them - am I getting that right? I do understand people not having access ti different competition venues, but a sequence on video vs a sequence around multiple dogs, in a ring, and with a huge number of distractions - and both end up with titles? Seems a little unfair to the dogs dealing with the distractions, and the owners who put time & energy into their dogs to get their training to that point.

Edited by author Tue Jan 29, '13 2:22pm PST

Approved by forums moderator

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 12:49pm PST 

If someone doesn't care for a particular dog sport or thinks it's silly or too easy or whatever, then don't participate.

Cyber rally titles are prefixed with "CRO."

Edited by moderator Tue Jan 22, '13 5:14pm PST

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 1:26pm PST 
That's my point. There's room for everything, including an elitism. It's not bad, it's just different. Whether you are talking about dogs, horses, or whatever have you. Just as I don't think it's fair to be judgmental about using treats, I don't think it's fair to think there's anything peculiar about elitism, either. Some things require high skill and aren't attainable by everyone/every dog who tries. Elitism there is par for the course. Sometimes taking the shape of someone who is a mentor to everyone humble enough to listen to their many years of experience....somewhere in that that yes, they are just better than you are (for now).....and sometimes taking a less favorable, condescending, snarky grossness. But that's just like being a chef or jazz musician. Same thing there, too.

It's very hard not to strive for something not readily attainable and not feel, fairly, that you are "one of the best." Those are stripes you earn. And part of that process is years of separating wheat from chaffe. It's everywhere. I mean, I have my debates and the number of times I have heard from Schutzhund people that a UDX doesn't mean anything because it's not "real" laugh out loud Or from a working person that Schutzhund dogs are loads of crap. Or from a conformation person that bite sport people are twisted? Sure. It's out there. Or, avoid it, not care about being the best and do something more user friendly, or even within that frame, just setting personal goals in a more friendly community.

There's something to suit everyone. Both sides judge everyone. It's all in the perspective.

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 5:16pm PST

ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 5:34pm PST 
Wow. Makes me really glad I do not participate in venues like that. being around people like that can change someone. Maybe APDT and C-WAGS really ARE special because I don't ever remember encountering anyone who would talk about another person's accomplishments or choices in such a derogatory manner. A overachievers is the closest I have seen to that and if they enjoy trialing every single weekend, well, I say good for them.

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 4:32pm PST

Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 8:47am PST 
I was at a Rally trial just a few weeks ago and we NQd on the first sign (I didn't realize we were up next, I rushed to the start line and started without Cohen's full attention, she walked right by a Send Over Jump). My obedience instructor was at the match too (competing in OB) and she asked how I did. I said I NQd, and she sneered at me and said "In rally???" and wandered off. It turned me off.

Our next run we scored 100 and HIC, but still... it left a bad taste in my mouth. Rally IS easier than OB in my experience, but the derision was unnecessary.

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 8:48am PST

[notify]
Rolo

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:16am PST 
Well, I'm waiting to be accepted into that FaceBook CyberRally group so I can ask my question there...... shrug
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:52am PST 
Oh, Cohen, your INSTRUCTOR said that??? Wow. Just wow. I think I will stick to venues where people are not so fast to try to pull you down to raise themselves up, no matter how derisively others may speak of them. I just see no need to deliberately put myself in an environment like that. it has to take it's toll and effect how you view others and yourself.

And no, I compete, I judge, I steward, I help when we host and I have been on the Rules and Regs committee for the APDT and I have NEVER heard someone do something like that.

My very first trial with Ash was an NQ and if anyone had made a comment like that to me, I probably would not have continued. Instead, complete strangers were telling me how THEY had NQ'd, telling me stories of things they had done, making me laugh and relax and encouraging me to not scratch for the next trial. I guess that is what truly makes the venues different. Some seem to be about elevating the individual, others seem to be more about comradery.
[notify]
G2

Be Scaredy of- Me, Dawg!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:05am PST 
Although they seem to be more real world performance oriented, NALC competitions are very supportive - people are very encouraging and helpful - or so my experience has been. At one trial, when I was expressing this to a group, someone turned around & said - "Yeah? Just wait until you bring a dog that can beat theirs." wink Luckily enough, my dogs have been winning pretty consistently, and still the experience has been positive.

Edited by moderator Tue Jan 22, '13 8:03pm PST

(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5