GO!

Crating Options help?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 7:56pm PST 
I picked this one up at a yard sale for $5 for camping:

Yard Sale Crate

You might also take a look in Ross stores. I have seen soft & metal crates in there for a very reasonable price.
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 12:12pm PST 
All three of my dogs are in pop up, nylon Sports Crates. I love them. However, there are issues. Most dogs do not do well in these crates. You have to have an absolutely fantastic dog in crates for these to work. I am not allowed to lift much weight, so other, better made soft sided crates are too heavy for me to lift. These pop up crates are a breeze, and work great in that regard. I've had one crate for about 8 years, and it's been used about 1.5 times a month at trials. The Boots and Barkely crates don't fare nearly as well as the Sports Crates.

If I didn't have weight lifting limitations, however, I would not use these crates. It is true they don't hold their shape well. One of my dogs will roll his around (he thinks that's fun), but I put a hard rubber mat in it, and that keeps him from doing so now.

If you can lift, get a better soft sided crate. Congrats on your agility success!!
[notify]
Lola

Poodle, not- doodle!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 5:09pm PST 
I've found some really decent crates at Big Lots. Quick to pop up, light and around 45 bucks.
[notify]

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 12:48pm PST 
So I just brought home the Kijiji ad crate....

And this is what I get for not being able to find my tape measure:
I apologize for the size of these, but my boyfriend's laptop doesn't even have basic photo editing software...

At least they both fit

Long

It was a long drive and I didn't want it to be a wasted trip, so I brought it home.
But so much for not getting an ex-pen eh? BOL

This might be alright though, Rigby does have spacial issues at times. But other times she will jam herself on top of Cobain while he's already in a smaller crate.
They've got plenty of room, so I may try to give it a shot. Maybe bring a spare crate just in case.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 12:52pm PST 
I'm not sure I know what Ross' or Big Lots are?
I'm in Ontario if that helps, maybe we don't have them here.

Rusty - that's the sport pet one, for $5 I would certainly buy one! But from what I'm reading here, I probably wouldn't pay much more than that.

So far with this crate, I have found the zippers to be quite cheap. But for $40.....Amazon sells them for $150

Edited by author Thu Jan 3, '13 1:07pm PST

[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 8:32am PST 
I have an older It's A Breeze Too tent crate and I LOVE it!

I actually don't know how old it is - I accepted a donation of "big, fold down crates," where I used to work, thinking they were XL wire crates. It turned out to be one of those and a wooden whelping box. Both useless for rescue/training, so I just took the Breeze tent and found a breeder who wanted the whelping box. Whoever had it before had supposedly housed old-fashioned GSDs in it.

I wish it were smaller for 45lb Ember... We call it the condo on the hill and I have traded with larger teammates at tournaments before. I also used to put both her and Vance in it together sometimes. But even as a super-size crate, it's very light - and most of the size is height and length, not width. Plus with the adjustable fastener, I can store her bed and crate cover inside, lengthen the fastener a bit and still collapse the crate for transport.

Materials are all sturdy and water/stain resistant. Mine is khaki and lookin' good! It's easy enough for a dog to tear through if they wanted to, but it's a lot tougher than many of the soft crates I've seen.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 7:09am PST 
Currently I've got:
- Nature's Miracle - which I love
- Petmate wire
- Remmington plastic
- XL Wire
- and the new big one

I think I'm failing at my business of crate flipping right now
Anyone need wire crates? big laugh

Ember, I never thought of swapping for tournaments and such. I really like that idea, perhaps some of my demo teammates would appreciate a larger soft crate sometimes, cause this thing is HUGE for my dogs!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2