GO!

A Dog's Color Vision and Its Importance in Dog Training

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 9:35pm PST 
Well I never really considered a dog's color vision when it comes to training. But now, I guess I will. Thanks for sharing this article!smile
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 12:04pm PST 
You're welcome. smile
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 9:21pm PST 
I haven't considered my dog's color vision so much but I guess I will now. Thanks for the article, Aslan!
[notify]

MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 10:47pm PST 
You're welcome too. smile
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 7:29pm PST 
I trained Tuck on a pink target. The red spectrum is not supposed to be in the color range of colorblind dogs. Pink was a very bad choice. Never the less, Tuck grew up defining his objects, and most of his initial training was target based. He has always had defined What and where (target identified until he mastered word recognition)

Target training made identification easy for him. So if I introduced something new. I would place a target on the new place or object, and he would look for that.

The targets have long been put away. But tonight, I spilled a bag of buckles as I was making survivor bracelets. Bob brought me the bag, and spilled the rest of the bag of 100 across the house. i quit sweeping for fear I might sweep up the buckles.

The dogs (Chief, Bob, Tuck) have been bringing me discovered buckles for biscuits all night. The vacuum is still out, waiting for me to finish.

I saw a buckle in the vacuum hose. I pointed to it, and told Tuck to GET it. He didn't know what. But he went to the vacuum hose and grabbed the vacuum hose where there was pink duct tape wrapped around the hose. (Yesterday the hose blew out, and I went to the vacuum store and ordered a new hose that will take a week to get here, so duct taped vacuum hoses saved the day on the Central vac.)

I told him, no, that wasn't it, so he looked around, and saw the pink roll of duct tape. And brought me that. I'm not a pink person. Pink isn't something I buy. My house is pretty much devoid of pink. So pink stands out in my house, unless you happen to be a color blind dog, which is supposed to not be able to see red spectrum.

Tuck was definitely, in his confusion on what I was asking for, resorting to what he knew. Look for pink. He did. I gotta believe he really CAN see pink.

psychologytoday dog color reference
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2