GO!

Has anyone heard of AKC Canine Partners?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 3:40pm PST 
I got an email requesting me to sign up, so my dogs can participate in some sports activities. I'm sure they got my email from Kali's micro chip which was originally through the AKC. confused It looks interesting...........
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 4:24pm PST 
That's AKC's mixed breed registry. Dogs with a Canine Partners number are mutts who are spayed/neutered and allowed to compete in some of AKC's events. Namely agility, rally, obedience, and lure coursing (Coursing Ability Test only).

I registered Risa with Canine Partners shortly after they opened it.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 4:28pm PST 
Thanks for the reply. Have you participated? Is it worth it? I would love to take Kali. I took her to Pet Fest once and they had a short agility coarse that you could try as a first timer. She was the funniest thing. She was the biggest dog and she had the most fun. People were stopping, staring at her and laughing. She wasn't very fast, but she loved it.
[notify]

Awesome Dog

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 4:59pm PST 
Yes, I have participated. Risa has her RA (Rally Advanced) title and her CA (Coursing Ability) title because she's registered with AKC's Canine Partners. I'm not a huge fan of AKC but it's one of the biggest venues in my area. I don't have to travel far to compete in AKC trials (I have to for everything else we do) so it's nice for that. I don't like that they're still exclusive in regards to what the mutts can compete in. And clubs still have the option to not allow mixes in their competitions (though I have found this to be rare. . .in that I haven't had this problem). I still do not regret signing us up, though. big grin
[notify]

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 5:38pm PST 
Ok, thank you. I appreciate the feed back. smile
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 11:57am PST 
Also keep in mind that you don't have to be part of the AKC (or any registry) to do agility. You only need it if you want to compete for titles.

If you just want to try agility and have some fun with your dog, so long as you can find a good trainer, you're set!
[notify]
Mocha Chino

I need to go- outside! I need- to go in!

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 12:14pm PST 
Mocha is registered with the Canine Partners and we love it. If you enroll your dog as a Canine Partner, AKC allows your dog to must things that a purebred dog, including agility, obedience...etc. From my point of view, its worth it.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 7:54pm PST 
Thanks guys. She's too slow to win any titles. I was just thinking, as Mulder suggested, to do it just for fun.
[notify]

Awesome Dog

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 4:16pm PST 
If you're just in it for fun then there's really no reason to sign up with Canine Partners. You can still take agility classes and enter fun matches without being registered. Registering your dog with AKC CP just allows you the opportunity to compete for titles in the sport.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 4:36pm PST 
Ok, thanks Risa. I really appreciate the info. smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2