GO!

Catching a Frisbee

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Natalie

Bossy Aussie

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 1:46pm PST 
Natalie REALLY loves frisbees. We've been playing with a "soft" doughnut disc for quite a while now so that she won't hurt her teeth or gums while teething, but I feel like she's kind of progressed beyond the "rollers". She runs so fast that often times she beats the roller to a destination because I trained an "around" where she circles me and starts running ahead before I release the frisbee.

I understand not to encourage jumping because of growth plates but I feel like we're at a point when we're supposed to start catching the frisbee on low throws.

Does anyone know how I should go about this? Should I put her in a stay and throw it to her?

When I throw it she usually will wait for it to hit the ground. Advice would be appreciated!! Thanks ahead of time!
[notify]
Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 9:15pm PST 
You steps for continued puppy training would be basic obedience, focus, drive building, flatwork foundations, bitework (tug), and set up moves.

Here are links to some foundational videos that you could start working on...

Marking for release bitework

foundation moves

set up moves

If you are serious about getting into disc dogg'n, I cannot suggest Ron's dvd "disc dogger's tool kit" enough. It's probably the best resource out there for frisbee dog training... lots of basics all the way up to advanced moves.

To answer your real question, the next step for teaching a catch is to teach a 'take' and the 'take' will slowly transform into a toss.
[notify]