GO!

weave poles...

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 8:14pm PST 
Hey everyone!

So Quin and I are doing another CPE trial this Saturday. I spoke with my breeder/trainer and she said to stick with Entusiast 12" instead of moving up to Regular 16", which I think is a good idea for both of us.

So...he already earned his standard level 1 title last trial in May...so now he is in level 2...which may have the dreaded weave poles!

Now Quin has done weave matics and 2x2s...I do have a set of 2x2s here at home...so any pointers for the trial prep would be greatly appreciated!

I am doing this for fun...so please dont criticize me for entering him when he doesnt fully get the weaves...worst case I scratch from those two runs smile
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 8:49pm PST 
Keep him in Level 1, there is no requirement to move on to the next level after completing the title (that is unless you already have a Q in Level 2 Standard). I still run Porter in Level 1 despite him already having the titles.

As for the weaves I adore 2x2 method for initial training. I have taught 3 dogs now to weave as well as retraining one of those with 2x2s and channel weaves.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 5:02am PST 
I love the 2x2 method.

What is Quinn's weave performance like? What are his strengths and weaknesses? If you can tell us that we can probably give you a few ideas for working on his trouble spots.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 10:55am PST 
I have talked to some friends who also own Shelties and Shelties from the same breeder (one of which is a trainer)...btu none of them live close so we cant really show them...

So he has done weavematics and I love those...but haven't gotten them up straight yet. and I have heard that dogs tend to get a little confused once they are perfectly straight.

We have been doing 2 x 2s and after today I feel like we have to go back to square one as he was so unaware and not interested. I tried salmon rollover bits, duck rollover bits and even benny bully livers treats! He doesn't get any of those unless training...

I went back to where we had left off with two 2x2s (2 sets of 2x2s) and he was not responding at all...got him on a leash and had to lure him through but still wasnt in to it...so i amped up the excitement and tried to get him more into it...and nope...he just was not interested...
I felt my self start to get frustrated so I stopped cause I knew it woudl just end poorly for both of us. So I called him away from it to go back in the house where his brother excitedly waited.
He took two steps forward and stood between the poles staring at me...so we were both confused I guess LOL

Sorry I gotta run off to work...any questions go for it and I will check Dogster when i get to work

He isn't realyl toy motivated so other ways to entice him may be helpful...
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 12:06pm PST 
I would start over at square one with 2x2 training. Use something super special as a treat (think hotdogs or some other sort of food that is really appealing), get him excited about that food first before presenting the 2x2s. Once he has a good excitement for the food, present the 2x2s starting at stage one (have you seen the dvds? some trainers adapt the 2x2 method to something very different but don't change what they call it). Keep the sessions super short and exciting, if any frustration starts on your part - stop (my biggest mistake in training my Porter). But don't worry about doing a complete session before stopping for the time being. Let him mull it over some.

I only use channel weaves or weave-o-matics in helping with footwork...not a big fan on training with them initially.

This is just my input and is in no way from a professional's point of view...
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 12:45pm PST 
It sounds less like you have a weave pole problem, and more like you have a motivation problem. I know Shelties can be a very sensitive group, so you may have to be extra careful in how you approach the weaves.

Things to keep in mind:
- Learning is inherently stressful.
- The weaves require more learning on behalf of the dog can any other obstacle.
- Handlers are inclined to drill and drill and drill the poles, which can bore and further stress a dog.
- Enthusiasm should be at least as important as accuracy while training agility.

I also think you should start over in the 2x2s. There's no shame in it - I had to restart Cohen with them after I'd inadvertently poisoned them while drilling them too long in class.

Seconding checking out the DVD too if you can.

Something I always have to remind our students of is to take a break! Intersperse a run through the poles with some fun tricks, play, chase, etc. Drilling the poles 'til your dog is bored and worn out won't do you any favours. I also like to suggest students utilize some opposition reflex while working on the weaves to add more enthusiasm and desire for the obstacle. Grab that collar, pull back, tease a bit then let him rip.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 2:59pm PST 
Do you think i could do...a pair of 2x2s followed by a jump and then anotehr set of 2x2s...or just do a pair of 2x2s followed by a jump and then eventually add another pair of 2x2s so there are 4 poles to a jump?
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 11:27am PST 
I would not bother with sequencing the weave poles yet...I would keep them as their very own "trick" so to speak.

Definitely don't overwork the poles, keep them as their own fun item and stop long before your dog is ready to quit. Enthusiasm is essential for training weaves, the dog doesn't have to be fast - just happy about working, accuracy comes along after awhile as well...the dog will make mistakes. As for mistakes, don't get down on your dog for them - I nearly ruined Tika's weaves recently as I was getting too down on her for mistakes, she was starting to demotivate at the weaves as she knew she was going to do them wrong as I made too big of a deal over the oopses.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 9:44am PST 
By george he got it! LOL
happy dance

He is doing 6 weaves with little error (sometimes skips a pole, but 90% good)

WOO HOO...and just in time for the trial this Satruday!
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 3:08pm PST 
How did the trial go?

A couple weeks ago, I met a puppy from your breeder smile She is very cute and spunky. I also know someone else from here in Alberta who is on a wait list for a puppy from Quin's breeder.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2