GO!

Biking Harness!

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 4:25pm PST 
ya know, I'm not sure. All the pics of them in use seem to show them trapline-style. Maybe scratch that. I did find that musher Jodi Bailey used a side-pull harness of some kind in last year's Iditarod though. Not the pulka- will try to find out what it is.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 6:22pm PST 
Definitely scratch the comfortflex, we have one and it basically lives in a box now. Not only did it chafe, but also restricted Tanuk's shoulder movements to the point that I was concerned it was damaging muscles/ligaments. Plus it tends to fall to the side unless the dog is pulling perfectly in front and due to this can be slipped out of as well.

We also have the Ruffwear and it's what I use for running with Tanuk, and Talah also has one. I just love it for its diversity. I have the pack attachment so we go hiking with it, he runs with it, and I used the handle to carry Talah when she was injured. It's very durable, though the other Ruffwear collars and stuff are not as much so. However, it is kind of involved to get it on the dog, but that also makes it really secure and they fit both dogs like a second skin. Ghost's body type is probably similar, so it might fit him well also.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 9:28pm PST 
I've got the webmaster from Ruffwear (It's actually the Palisades pack I got for about $65 so bonus). It's a dandy little harness for me but Zephyr is pretty short. We only bike 5-10k so a super-duty harness isn't a big deal for me. I still haven't bought the attachment though so take that for what it is. It's getting too hot for me to want to haul myself out on the bike though so we'll probably be figuring out something else.

And if you're not set on the Springer there are a few other options which have a lot more adjustability and happen to be cheaper.
[notify]

Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 9:02am PST 
I use buggy style harnesses for my dogs, because they pull from their chest and the harness doesn't pull down on their back or hips. I know of several Iditarod mushers that use them. I got mine from www.bettercompanion.com

Also, there's the g-cell harness that quite a few people are using now. I don't like it very much, but the team I raced my last two years of junior racing used them, and they're not bad. They pull from the side, and you can find them at www.wolfsdenkennel.com
[notify]
z

I can't hear- you.

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 10:34am PST 
Zephyr, I'm pretty set on the Springer, but what are the other attachments you're thinking about?

I am still on the fence about the RuffWear because it doesn't seem that people have actually used them attached to a bike. THough I could always buy it and return it if it doesn't work.

Fun On the Run, I looked at the G-cel Harness and I like the idea of it, but I can't get a clear idea of what the attachment point is actually made of and what the attachment point looks like. Are they D-ring or? From the photo they look like little red ties:

http://www.wolfsdenkennel.com/G-celHarness.html

And does it matter that I don't actually want my dog to pull me anywhere? Will the G-cel still work well? You said that your dogs pull from the front but I just want a harness to attach my dog to my bike, but he will be running alongside it (not pulling it).
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '12 6:00pm PST 
Ghost, I use the Ruff Wear Webmaster style harness (came with the Palisades pack) for biking, hiking etc.

Rexy has some odd proportions (huge deep chest and tiny waist), but I have managed to adjust the harness so that it fits her well. She has worn it for hours at a time, at times with weight (packpack attached), and at other times on the end of a long line (with some pulling). I have never seen any sore spots, or any areas where the harness seems to irritate her.

Mind you, I don't bike more than 5km with her, and I don't let her pull me, so I don't know how it would hold up for longer distances. There is some slight twisting of the harness because the leash clip is on the middle of the back, but that has been the only issue for us.

You may want to test Ghost out with belly straps...Rexy does NOT care for them, but this has become a very minor issue since she realized that harness = running and/or exploring time.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 3:53am PST 
Alpine outfitters for me,love it. You can see me with the bike on my page.
[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 11:09am PST 
I used the webmaster from Ruffwear when biking with Kato. I also use it for when we rollerblade. Works just fine for us, but Kato doesn't exactly pull all that much. So, if the dog is constantly pulling like some type of joring event, I can't really say much. If it's just occasional pulling, it works just fine.

Ruffwear comes out with "spring" items and I know they did something to the webmaster harness. The new version comes out March 30th. I don't know if they added physical stuff or just added new colors/designs. But if you're really eyeballing it, I'd wait the 7 days to see what comes out.

They also have the omnijor system with the harness for pulling. Unfortunately, right now you can only buy the whole system, and not just the harness. A lot of people were asking for just the harness, so maybe they'll have that available sometime soon.
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 12:21pm PST 
That's what I'm doing. I'm definitely eyeing the Urban Trail harness, but also waiting to see Ruffwear's spring stuff.
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 5:39pm PST 
Yes, the g-cells attach with a little red tie that I have had come undone multiple times :/ It's not fun to stop and see a dog keep running...anyways, I just had to keep an eye on the harnesses and make sure the knows were tied securely. The g-cells are probably best if you don't want your dog actually pulling, because they are difficult to back out of and will not rub on their skin smile
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3