GO!

Biking Harness!

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
z

I can't hear- you.

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 10:41am PST 
It's almost time to buy a bike and Springer attachment, since my big pup is almost close to 18 months, and we are already waiting we get his hip scores back!

I see threads on here for Bike-joring and other pulling activities, but I'm just looking for a good solid harness to bike side by side with.

What is a good one? Are there any benefits to using one over another?

I've been looking at Ruffwear's Doubleback harness and Webmaster harness. It looks like the Doubleback is more for hiking. The Webmaster looks good but I want to get a few more opinions.

Thoughts?
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 11:01am PST 
I dunno, I think for running neither Ruffwear harness looks ideal. I have never had the best luck with their products and find them way, way, overpriced as well. But that's just my opinion, of course...

The reason I don't think they look like great biking harnesses is that there is so much fabric and straps all over the place. And since all the straps are adjustable, the padding can slip around and might not stay where you want it. I bought the Palisades Pack for Ginger (which comes with the Webmaster) and I could not, for the life of me, make it fit right, even though I ordered the correct size for her height and weight. I ended up giving it away. The Doubleback looks even less appropriate for running- that giant piece of fabric on the belly is for sure going to chafe!

I think you'd be better off with something custom-made if you're going to shell out for a good harness, if you're sure he's full grown. Alpine Outfitters Urban Trail harness looks really good- you can get it with side D-rings for running along with a bike. Manmat's Pulka Harness also is designed specifically for side attachment without bunching or chafing. The Manmat Distance harness is very similar to the Urban Trail.

These are sledding harnesses, but they're all "shorty" versions where the attachment point is forward on the torso, not down by the hips like an X-back. The reason they're great for running is that they don't cover or restrict the shoulder.

Edited by author Tue Mar 20, '12 11:03am PST

[notify]
z

I can't hear- you.

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 11:10am PST 
Thanks for the suggestions Ginger! I'm not set on RuffWear.. I just don't even know where to start looking for sports harnesses, is all. We have a harness for tracking, but that one is basically more just so the dog is wear something and marked - not really designed for anything else.

I'm pretty sure he's not full grown confused he'll probably continue to fill out and get a tad taller until his 2nd or 3rd year.. thinking

I looked at the ones you suggested and I didn't even think that Springer needed 'side' D rings (not top mounted)! That's really cool that there are harnesses esp for use with it.

Edited by author Tue Mar 20, '12 11:19am PST

[notify]

Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 11:13am PST 
You're going to love biking Ghost!!!

For Lenny I bought the ComfortFlex Sport Harness from the Outdoor Dog Store. I did look at the Ruff Wear Harness as well, but it looked a little too involved/complicated for what I wanted to do. But if you have any hopes to use a harness for anything else, the Ruff Wear harness might be a better buy. It looks a bit sturdier too (which might be a factor for a stronger/larger dog).

The ComfortFlex harness I REALLY like. Very easy to get on and off a dog who doesn't like to stay still. No rubbing whatsoever, even when Lenny throws his weight into it when he really wants to go. I like that there are as few straps as necessary, very light weight and easy for the dog to wear. It leaves room for comfortable running, even when the dog is at full stride. For Lenny's I did go a size up cause he was on the borderline, so it's about a 1/2 inch too big around his chest and he does have a little room in the chest piece too IMO. But it doesn't seem to have affected the comfort of the harness, so I didn't return it (even though I certainly could have). If you go with a harness with that design or something similar, do be very careful with measurements would be my only advice.

Edited by author Tue Mar 20, '12 11:14am PST

[notify]
z

I can't hear- you.

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 11:23am PST 
Thanks Lenny! Do you think for a big dog it would matter much that the ring on the ComfortFlex is situation more to the top? I don't have my Springer yet so I can only go by what pictures I see on the internet, but if the dog is already tall, would it be better (or even matter?) if the ring is where it is on the Comfortflex, or if it was lower (like more toward the stomach)?

I take it the Comfortflex isn't very adjustable which can be a problem, because I'm sure he isn't done filling out though..

Edited by author Tue Mar 20, '12 11:28am PST

[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 12:23pm PST 
Huh... the Comfortflex is almost EXACTLY like the custom harness I just got for Bruno, made by Kelli Roman (etsy store Stinky Dog Collars, owner of Jynx, Gypsy, and Stinky on Dogster.)

I really like it so far- check out the thread I made about it. But I did say that I'm not sure this type of harness (with a girth band that goes all the way around the torso just behind the armpit, and a front band that crosses the shoulders) is really the best for full-tilt, long distance running, because I think it could cause armpit chafing and slightly restricts the shoulder. I wrote a little about this in another harness thread on here- all sledding harnesses leave the shoulder area totally uncovered, for good reason.

But if you're not going to run for hours and hours, this type of harness could work very well. Kelli is also super-flexible about size, color, and add-ons. I asked for D-rings on the front and one on each side as well as the top one like the Comfortflex has.

Edited by author Tue Mar 20, '12 12:30pm PST

[notify]
z

I can't hear- you.

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 1:20pm PST 
Ideally I want to train for 40km to start.. that's only 25 miles.

Ultimately I'd want to be able to go up to 70km (~45miles) or 100km (~62miles) which corresponds to the endurance exams for the breed.

But first 25 miles smile I suppose that's still a couple hours of biking though. So it looks like we probably won't do the comfortflex.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 1:39pm PST 
For a biking attachment I'd recommend a harness with side rings. I have used several types and I've found the ones with a top ring generally will get twisted to the side if the dog is connected to a bike attachment.

I've heard good things about this one:
http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodView.asp?id product=155

This is what I use for biking but it's not ideal:
http://www.activedogs.com/product.php?id=63
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 1:41pm PST 
definitely get a shorty sledding harness then. That distance is enough where a small annoyance can become a big problem. Like I can walk around and jog a little in shoes that don't fit perfectly and I'll likely have no problems, but if I run a marathon or try to hike with a pack on all day, it'll really kill my feet. Same with dog harnesses. That's why distance mushers get so into finding the "perfect" harness and can debate all day about it- whenever one of the big names in racing switches brands or designs, people jump all over it.
[notify]
z

I can't hear- you.

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 2:11pm PST 
OK so that's two votes for the Alpine Outfitters harness. I'm looking at the Manmat Pulka here:
http://www.manmat-usa.com/products/03.htm

on that photo I can clearly see side D rings, but was wondering what happens if the back rings aren't in use. Do they kinda just flop around and ding against each other?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3